Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
T Evergreen Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

You can obtain Lightroom 4 from SnaggStuff for $79.99 -- http://snaggstuff.com/adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4-full-download-65164937.html

You download the trial version and SnaggStuff emails you with the license key for activating.

Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574
Re: Aftershot Pro

"if" Corel doesn't kill it. It will run on XP and on, on Linux, and I think Mac. It features non destructive editing, much like Lightroom (of which I have an older version)...as it either saves your changes to 'catalog' or to a companion XMP file. You can catalog as in Lightroom, or you can use Folder based structure (which I like since I move files around a lot) there is some talk that a new upgrade is in Beta that includes the latest cameras. Hopefully. It's cheap and it works well, at least for me. You can use it in conjunction with any editor you choose, Photoshop, Paintshop, Gimp...etc. etc. Has lens correction, and a highlight recovery that I think could be improved as compared to the latest lightroom. Has a lot of advanced user created plug ins, some cost (reasonably), some free, most good. It's based on the old 'Bibble'.

There's a lot of information on it to be googled.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

JudyN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520

T Evergreen wrote:

You can obtain Lightroom 4 from SnaggStuff for $79.99 -- http://snaggstuff.com/adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4-full-download-65164937.html

You download the trial version and SnaggStuff emails you with the license key for activating.

I've never heard of snaggstuff.  Are they reliable?  I was confused by their description of the product.  It says for 1 PC.  You can use Lightroom on two computers. And it doesn't matter if it's Mac or PC.  From the Adobe FAQ:

"Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Lightroom is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a home computer, provided that the software is not used on both computers at the same time. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows."

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,428

IME, ASP is buggy and Corel seems uninterested in fixing it or making it support cameras that have been out even for a year.  Check out the Corel Aftershot Pro forum to find out how unhappy people are there:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewforum.php?f=93&sid=d2f6829e7ec4c39371f6616656e24600

I own both LR 4.4 and the latest ASP.  I gave up on ASP and now use LR, but I am concerned about what Adobe has up their sleeve for LR.  I sure wish Corel would fix ASP though since it runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux.  It has some good points but, sadly, many deficiencies.  It would also be great if it could use a LR catalog and convert it while maintaining all the info and editing adjustments.  Corel bought the company that made it (Bibble) and then a few months later fired all the Bibble developers.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574

Henry Richardson wrote:

IME, ASP is buggy and Corel seems uninterested in fixing it or making it support cameras that have been out even for a year.  Check out the Corel Aftershot Pro forum to find out how unhappy people are there:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewforum.php?f=93&sid=d2f6829e7ec4c39371f6616656e24600

I own both LR 4.4 and the latest ASP.  I gave up on ASP and now use LR, but I am concerned about what Adobe has up their sleeve for LR.  I sure wish Corel would fix ASP though since it runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux.  It has some good points but, sadly, many deficiencies.  It would also be great if it could use a LR catalog and convert it while maintaining all the info and editing adjustments.  Corel bought the company that made it (Bibble) and then a few months later fired all the Bibble developers.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

I've pretty much got it(ASP) working OK on my machine, but think that it still does have some bugs, even after the last update. I don't use the catalog, but rather the folder tree system with the XMP files. Every once in a while it conks out and doesn't save files correctly. It could be that since I'm not using the cataloging, and have it set to clean the "cache" quite frequently, that it helps. As I said the highlight recovery function, while better in the last update (it's no longer changing white to pink) still isn't anywhere near Lightrooms or Photoshop. Yep I know they fired the Bibble staff, and that's disturbing. I'm thinking seriously of buying Elements, which will still run on my machines...having tried the free trial.

Like yourself I'm concerned about Corel "dead ending" it. As with so many of the programs they've purchased, or companies they've bought. Seems they support them for a while, and then "poof"...about the only one I can really think of that they've had continuous support for is Paint Shop Pro. At one time, Ulead's Photoimpact was a good product, until Corel bought it, and dead ended it. So as you, I have reservations, but Aftershot does have some promise to it, and is reasonably priced...it hasn't been updated with the latest cameras in a while, since December if my memory serves, and that is somewhat worrisome. I'm worried about Lightroom also, and since I'm still running XP, haven't updated to version 4 yet, but soon might have to update my computers...and my software. The thing that worries me about that, is that Adobe said something about Lightroom having some additional features within the "cloud" so...I think that's how they started with Photoshop...

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,668

The thing that worries me about that, is that Adobe said something about Lightroom having some additional features within the "cloud" so...I think that's how they started with Photoshop...

I believe this statement has been retracted / corrected: LR is one of the programs that you get within a CC suite subscription, is all. The fact of using a program within a CC membership offers you some cloud features inherently - in that, you have some cloud storage available to you as part of that membership. Also, you can make use of the cloud to share your software settings across local installations of the product on different computers, and to authorise/deauthorise these computers for the software, within the total number you are licensed to use. I would not expect any more than that in practice - these things will be useful to some.

The initial indication has already done some confidence damage, though, in that some people have concluded the whole LR functionality is going to be delivered differently in the future. There is no evidence at this moment, that Adobe have any plans to do so - nor, that the kinds of thing which LR does, are even amenable to delivery over the cloud with current technologies.

It is worth pointing out that even Photoshop CC which DOES have some actual cloud-specific functions, continues to deliver all its current core (CS6) functions locally just as it always has.

There is the added opportunity to participate in some remote-calculated extras, if you want to. But AFAIK, this is just like subcontracting processing to a plugin - perhaps we can call this a "plugout" - in that the results of this processing come back as a plain bitmap layer, which can THEN, once the processing has happened, be seen and used equally well by another person with or without the same plugin / access to the same cloud features.

It is hard, by contrast,  to see how LR could do one thing for one person, and another thing for another person, working from the same source image data via the same metadata parameters. I am very skeptical about seeing different LR flavours any time soon, except in the rather peripheral ways mentioned above.

Also I believe that Adobe understand: Elements and LR belong naturally in a different type of user market, than the Creative Suite offerings do.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
ACDSee Pro 6

It appears that ACDSee Pro 6, Corel Aftershot Pro, Apple Aperture, and Darktable or sort of similar programs to Lightroom.  It is my understanding that they are all a DAM + raw processor + non-destructive editor.  I see that ACDSee Pro 6 is now $59 which seems like a very good price.  Anyone used it?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,357
Aftershot Pro - competitive upgrade price

I saw last night that there is a competitive upgrade price for ASP of $49 for Lightroom users.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Glen Barrington
Re: ACDSee Pro 6

Henry Richardson wrote:

It appears that ACDSee Pro 6, Corel Aftershot Pro, Apple Aperture, and Darktable or sort of similar programs to Lightroom.  It is my understanding that they are all a DAM + raw processor + non-destructive editor.  I see that ACDSee Pro 6 is now $59 which seems like a very good price.  Anyone used it?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

I used the free trial about a year ago and liked it well enough.  At the time though, I was committed to Lightroom and felt, that while perhaps the equal of Lr in quality, it offered no real reason to switch at the time.

Well, now Adobe has given me a reason to revisit my past decisions.  I recently switched to ACDSee's stand alone Photo Editor V6 (Pretty good - Full 16 bit editing, color management, layers, opens, but does not write dng natively, image quality very high) so I have an account in their community forums.  Last week I was in the forum and saw some threads on Adobe's move and people's reactions to it.  So I added a post stating that if the marketing people at ACDSee, Corel, and others are not putting in extra time on figuring out how to take advantage of this move by Adobe, they were nuts.

At $59 US, it is a good buy, I'd say.  Certainly, the free trial is worth the money!  I think ALL the DAM vendors should open up their free trials to even people who used their free trial in the past.  The move by Adobe has made many people question their commitment to Lightroom, and another shot at the free trial may bring in new sales as people revisit and reevaluate things that might have bothered them more in the past than it does now.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Glen Barrington
I'm definitely moving away from Lightroom. . .

ohcello wrote:

Hello,

So I'm trying Lightroom 4 trial and it's awesome for NR and highlight recovery....but not sure I can plunk down the $150 for it right now.... any lower priced alternatives out there that can compete? Thanks.

Adobe's recent moves has made me realize that Adobe and I are not really in a long term commitment   At this point for  me, it is probably a choice between ACDSee Pro 6 and Corel AfterShot pro.  Both have high image quality and both, new, are less expensive right now than a Lightroom upgrade.

I am very intrigued with ASP's Linux version.  Moving away from Window to Linux is a goal of mine, so the Linux version is most appealing.  But Corel's habit of creating a Linux version of something whenever they want some free publicity only to let that version die makes me cautious.  If Corel can address my concerns, it would go a long way to allaying my fears about their reliability as my software partner.  But they need to do it sooner rather than later.  I don't have to make a decision immediately, but I'm not going to wait around forever.

The free, Open Source titles like DigiKam, DarkTable, and RawTherapee are pretty good as Raw converters, however, I don't think they are all that great as organizers and as touch up editors,  Their big advantage is that they have Linux versions.  But right now, Gimp is the only serious open source editor for Linux.  I could get used to it, I guess, but I really don't want to use Gimp as my editor, especially if the 'touch up' capabilities of the DAM product are weak, and I would be using Gimp as more than just an occasional companion editor.

ACDSee is Windows only.  So it does nothing to help me move towards Linux, but the IQ is high, and the darned thing is FAST compared to Lightroom.  They also have a separate stand alone editor that is pretty decent (which I own and like), so going to an All ACDSee workflow is possible, though I've never used the two together since I used the free trial before their new editor came out, so I don't really know if they compliment each other well or if the editor is even needed with ACDSee's editing capabilities.

ACDSee would be the clear winner for me, if they just announced a plan to offer a Linux version of their popular photo titles!  I'm in no hurry, I can wait a bit to see how things shake out, but those publishers who see themselves as Adobe competitors need to shake a leg and start drawing up plans on how they want to respond.  (and letting us know what those plans are!)

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

T Evergreen Forum Member • Posts: 95

I had no problems buying Lightroom 4 from SnaggStuff.  I did have some reservations given the price, but got the license key the same day after paying and the activation code allowed me to register the product with Adobe.

Regarding After Shop Pro, despite all the clamor on the Corel forum about the development team being fired,  Corel not fixing bugs, etc., the latest update was issued April 4, 2013, so it's clear that Corel hasn't abandoned ASP.  At $60, it's quite good especially when you add all the free plugins available at http://aftershotpro.com/plugins/  You can always download the trial version, add the plugins, and give it a spin.  It seems they're always running specials on ASP, so you likely can get it for less than the current $60 price.  If you already have Lightroom (or Paint Shop Pro), you qualify for the upgrade price of $50.

There is weakness in highlight recovery compares to LR4 as has been mentioned, even though the latest update claims to improve that capability.  Also, LR4 beats it hands down regarding removing purple fringing which can be problematic when using legacy lenses.  On the other hand, ASP has Auto Levels and Perfectly Clear, so you have a nice starting point in raw development.

JudyN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520

richardplondon wrote:

There is the added opportunity to participate in some remote-calculated extras, if you want to. But AFAIK, this is just like subcontracting processing to a plugin - perhaps we can call this a "plugout" - in that the results of this processing come back as a plain bitmap layer, which can THEN, once the processing has happened, be seen and used equally well by another person with or without the same plugin / access to the same cloud features.

Do you have a reference for some calculating being done on Adobe computers rather than our own desktops?  I've not seen it in Adobe's pontifications, although they are so vague as to be impossible to understand, being marketing...

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Ronald A Yorko Contributing Member • Posts: 577
ACDSee Pro 6 questions

How does ACD Pro 6 do on highlight recovery and chromatic aberration correction?

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
sanmaj Regular Member • Posts: 397
Re: I'm definitely moving away from Lightroom. . .

ACDSee has a MAC compatible called ACDSee Pro 3 Mac. They have a trial that you can check out. It's appears to be a little more expensive than the windows version, but nevertheless! I have downloaded the trial and it certainly is an interesting piece of software. It's editing controls are quite extensive and gives some controls that you don't see in other software e.g. soft focus, extensive lighting controls and rather accurate color controls.

Very interesting!

MikeFromMesa Senior Member • Posts: 2,849
Several

ohcello wrote:

Hello,

So I'm trying Lightroom 4 trial and it's awesome for NR and highlight recovery....but not sure I can plunk down the $150 for it right now.... any lower priced alternatives out there that can compete? Thanks.

I generally use PhotoNinja. It is lower cost than LR4/5 and, I think, better in converting raw images although it does not have all of the LR functionality. There is a trial version available.

You might also look at Corel's AfterShot Pro. It is also a decent low cost alternative to LR4. Unlike PhotoNinja it has pretty much all of the LR functionality plus some additional stuff LR does not have (like simple masking). It is not, IMO, as good as LR4 and it has not been updated by Corel in some time, but it is a decent editor. I assume there is a trial version available.

I also sometimes use Sagelight which is a first class editor although it is not a workflow tool like LR. It is a very low cost tool ($40 license) and does a first class job although there have been some issues with some people not getting their licenses. You could download the trial and see if it works for you.

There is also the LR5 beta which is free to use until the beta runs out.

sanmaj Regular Member • Posts: 397
Re: ACDSee has Mac Version!!

ACDSee has a Mac compatible version. See above thread. I've also tried Photo Ninja which is very good as a Raw conversion vehicle.

Glen Barrington
Re: ACDSee Pro 6 questions

Ronald A Yorko wrote:

How does ACD Pro 6 do on highlight recovery and chromatic aberration correction?

I have made a formal request to ACDSee to allow me a second try at their free trial in light of the recent Adobe announcement.  If it is granted (hey, one can always hope), I will do a semi formal review (or as good as I can do!) with a comparison to Lightroom 5 and post it in the retouching forum.  (though I don't see much problem with Chromatic Aberration anymore, maybe I'm not picky enough, maybe if I use my old Oly E500 I can see something.)

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Antlab Contributing Member • Posts: 500

Ronald A Yorko wrote:

It handles them very well.

I use ACDSee Pro as my main DAM and raw developer, and I learned to appreciate some very good tools, as the spectacular LCE (Light and contrast enhancement).

You can read something about it here:

http://www.acdsee.com/en/lce

Glen Barrington

Cool! Thanks,  I have downloaded a copy for evaluation, and I will be giving it a thorough going over and comparing it to both Lr3 and Lr 5.  When complete, I will share my conclusions in the retouching forum if anyone is interested.  It will be a couple of weeks, I suppose, to do a thorough eval.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Re: Darktable

Where does Darktable stand these days?  Is anyone using it?  What are your thoughts about it?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads