Reversed Zoom Ring

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
ajendus Regular Member • Posts: 169
Reversed Zoom Ring

Hello all

A friend of mine, who shoots Canon, complained about my 70-200mm VRII having a reversed zoom ring. Admittedly all my filming lenses are the opposite to the Nikon but I just took it with stride and ran with the reverse on my Nikon lenses.

I'm curious as to why some manufacturers have their zoom rings go one way or the other. Nikon and Panasonic/Olympus lenses are telephoto to wide (left to right) vs. Canon seems to be wide to telephoto.

Any reason one way or the other?

-- hide signature --

-A

ajendus's gear list:ajendus's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,804
Just to annoy us

ajendus wrote:

Hello all

A friend of mine, who shoots Canon, complained about my 70-200mm VRII having a reversed zoom ring. Admittedly all my filming lenses are the opposite to the Nikon but I just took it with stride and ran with the reverse on my Nikon lenses.

I'm curious as to why some manufacturers have their zoom rings go one way or the other. Nikon and Panasonic/Olympus lenses are telephoto to wide (left to right) vs. Canon seems to be wide to telephoto.

You think you got problems. I own Nikon for amusement and use Canon for work. Everything is backwards. The lenses go on and off backwards, the focus is backwards, the zoom is backwards, the dials are backwards, the buttons work backwards. After a few minutes, I start twitching.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
OP ajendus Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: Just to annoy us

Just to clarify, I didn't say 'backwards.' I said opposite. I don't perceive one as positive or negative. Nor do I intend to start some sort of silly Canon vs. Nikon argument.

-- hide signature --

-A

ajendus's gear list:ajendus's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,285
Re: Reversed Zoom Ring

ajendus wrote:

Hello all

If you take it to the Southern Hemisphere it will work normally -

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Hennie de Ruyter
Hennie de Ruyter Contributing Member • Posts: 785

mmullen wrote:

If you take it to the Southern Hemisphere it will work normally -

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

Problem is, here in the south the Nikon works right and the Canon works backwards!

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,804
I didn't say which one was backwards

ajendus wrote:

Just to clarify, I didn't say 'backwards.' I said opposite. I don't perceive one as positive or negative. Nor do I intend to start some sort of silly Canon vs. Nikon argument.

I wasn't claiming either one was wrong. I was just noting that after using one system, the other one is completely reversed from it and it's quite disconcerting.
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,284

Hennie de Ruyter wrote:

Problem is, here in the south the Nikon works right and the Canon works backwards!

How true.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Peter Jonas

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads