First 5D Mark III Wedding

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
octane2 Contributing Member • Posts: 670
First 5D Mark III Wedding

All I can say is that I am absolutely stoked.

To those who reply with "My 300D could have done that"-type comments, please, save your breath.

This camera is a joy to use. I really need the grip to round the system off. I pre-ordered the grip at the time of ordering the camera. It should be here soon.

The focus system and reduced shutter lag are worth the price of entry.

These images are straight out of Digital Photo Professional -- no post-processing in any other software. The light is all natural.

Canon EOS-5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
1/60s f/5.6 at 65.0mm iso640

Canon EOS-5D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
1/200s f/2.8 at 200.0mm iso400

1/60s f/2.8 at 70.0mm iso250

1/100s f/2.8 at 108.0mm iso320

I hope others are having as much fun as I am with this awesome camera.

Regards,
H

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tonkatoy Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: First 5D Mark III Wedding

Beautiful images, you have done really well.

After selling my 7D my 5D3 should be here this week, I said I would never shoot a wedding, but a friend has talked me into doing theirs, I hope I can do this well, I have till August to practice

aayjay
aayjay Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Excellent Images - Canon should have used these as samples

This just goes to show how a camera in the hands of someone who knows how to use their gear can make a world of difference.

Excellent!

Although I do not do weddings, I have been loving this camera for wildlife/birds. Love the autofocus, quality, etc.

Alan

aayjay's gear list:aayjay's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +6 more
altenae Regular Member • Posts: 377
Re: Excellent Images - Canon should have used these as samples

aayjay wrote:

This just goes to show how a camera in the hands of someone who knows how to use their gear can make a world of difference.

Excellent!

Although I do not do weddings, I have been loving this camera for wildlife/birds. Love the autofocus, quality, etc.

Alan

Same here for Wildlife and very very happy with the 5D Mark III AF performance..
Superb...
And yes I think better then my 1D mark IV
--
Enjoy Photography
http://www.wildlife-photos.net

Scrozzy Regular Member • Posts: 211

Nice shots. I really liked #2 until I saw the girl second from the right had 4 legs.

Still good though.

Scrozzy's gear list:Scrozzy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Tonkatoy Forum Member • Posts: 65

aayjay wrote:

Excellent!

Alan

I am so glad you both mentioned wildlife/birds although I shoot all kinds of subjects, those are my main subjects, I did wonder if I was doing the right thing switching from the 7D, but I always wanted full frame.

mrahmo Contributing Member • Posts: 580

great collection

in the wedding, did you use high ISO?

if yes, how high did you get to useable pictures
--
http://www.shutter-house.com
http://www.facebook.com/shutterhousephoto

mrahmo's gear list:mrahmo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
SubPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,238

Beautiful. Superb colours.

Brad Durack Contributing Member • Posts: 766

interesting you use the 24-105mm, and shutter speeds under 125s, are these handheld?

I use 24-105 for weddings, with a 70-200 2.8is and fast 50mm

do you also yearn for the 24-70? its such a hard one, as i love the extra reach on occasion of 24-105, but sure do want 2.8 in that range

what are your thoughts on the 24-70 vs 24-105 debate, as a field user of the 24-105?

mrahmo wrote:

great collection

--

-- hide signature --

Brad Durack . Photographer

http://www.braddurack.com

DGWeiss Regular Member • Posts: 145

I presume it runs in the family.
--
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Or, get out your 50mm/1.2.

DGWeiss's gear list:DGWeiss's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
BrianPriceUK Contributing Member • Posts: 769

Nice shots. I really liked #2 until I saw the girl second from the right had 4 legs.

Obviously a serious flaw - return it and buy a Nikon immediately

Brian

ps love the pics

OP octane2 Contributing Member • Posts: 670

Tonkatoy,

Cheers!

You have to start somewhere, right?

If you've got an eye for composition and are adept at dealing with people of varying levels of tolerance, you'll do well.

It can be a hard sell trying to market yourself, so, you need to make the best pictures you can to speak for you.

You will love the 5D Mark III coming from a 7D. You'll basically be buying the big brother of your 7D.

Regards,
H

Tonkatoy wrote:

Beautiful images, you have done really well.

After selling my 7D my 5D3 should be here this week, I said I would never shoot a wedding, but a friend has talked me into doing theirs, I hope I can do this well, I have till August to practice

Alan,

Thanks for the very kind words.

I am completely sold on the autofocus in this camera. And, I couldn't give two craps about the fact that it costs $500 more than a camera that will remain nameless.

For a professional, $500 is peanuts; one job pays for that many times over.

Regards,
H

aayjay wrote:

Excellent!

Alan

Scrozzy,

Haha, yes! I think I will need to sort that one out in Photoshop. I took a series of images there so should be able to composite the missing girl in quite easily.

Cheers!

Regards,
H

Scrozzy wrote:

Still good though.

mrahmo,

Thanks, sir!

I didn't use high ISOs in the wedding itself, but, definitely used it for the bridal party getting ready, flower girls, etc.

Pretty much all the images up to ISO-25,600 are useable; especially if converted to monochrome.

Regards,
H

mrahmo wrote:

great collection

--

SP,

Cheers. I've always been a fan of the colours straight out of Canon systems via Digital Photo Professional. Love it.

Regards,
H

SubPrime wrote:

Beautiful. Superb colours.

Hi Brad,

I absolutely love the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. I don't understand why it gets such a bad wrap. I bought one of the ones that were effected by the significant flaring issues. Canon replaced the fifth element (funny, that!) and gave it a clean while it was up at Canon headquarters in Sydney. They couriered it back to me (to Canberra) at no charge.

And, I shoot handheld at weddings. Don't have the energy to lug around a tripod along with everything else we have to worry about. Like you, I rock the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS), the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, and the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM.

I would love the new EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM. Maybe that can be a birthday present to myself later in the year?

Having never used one, but, knowing how good the longer zoom lens is, I can only imagine how nice it would be to be rocking f/2.8 glass throughout the range.

Here's some images (again, straight out of DPP) from the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM:

This one could have done with a bit more depth-of-field:

Canon EOS-5D Mark II, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
1/125s f/6.3 at 105.0mm iso100

1/125s f/6.3 at 105.0mm iso100

1/125s f/6.3 at 58.0mm iso100

And, one with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM:

Canon EOS-5D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
1/125s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

Regards,
H

Brad Durack wrote:

interesting you use the 24-105mm, and shutter speeds under 125s, are these handheld?

I use 24-105 for weddings, with a 70-200 2.8is and fast 50mm

do you also yearn for the 24-70? its such a hard one, as i love the extra reach on occasion of 24-105, but sure do want 2.8 in that range

what are your thoughts on the 24-70 vs 24-105 debate, as a field user of the 24-105?

Brian,

Haha, never!

Cheers.

Regards,
H

BrianPriceUK wrote:

Obviously a serious flaw - return it and buy a Nikon immediately

Brian

ps love the pics

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,899

Very, very nice.

My wedding last Saturday was in a small, old cinder-block church at the edge of a small town surrounded by parking lots. And it was at night. I used a 1Ds Mark II. Maybe I should upgrade to the 5D III.

Again, fine work!

octane2 wrote:

All I can say is that I am absolutely stoked.

To those who reply with "My 300D could have done that"-type comments, please, save your breath.

This camera is a joy to use. I really need the grip to round the system off. I pre-ordered the grip at the time of ordering the camera. It should be here soon.

The focus system and reduced shutter lag are worth the price of entry.

These images are straight out of Digital Photo Professional -- no post-processing in any other software. The light is all natural.

Canon EOS-5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
1/60s f/5.6 at 65.0mm iso640

1/200s f/2.8 at 200.0mm iso400

1/60s f/2.8 at 70.0mm iso250

1/100s f/2.8 at 108.0mm iso320

I hope others are having as much fun as I am with this awesome camera.

Regards,
H

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Guy Lerner Senior Member • Posts: 1,770

Beautiful work mate. Love that twilight moon shot. 5D3 feels like it was purpose built for wedding pros. Love it! Tried the 1DX today - still prefer the 5D3. Canon have outdone themselves with this camera. Cheers from a fellow Aussie wedding tog

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads