First time posting photo

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
billbourd Contributing Member • Posts: 573
First time posting photo

Was at a street fair with my new OMD where my 6 year old granddaughter became Cat Lady for a day. Photo was taken in shade under a overhang where the painter was, with very bright sunlight on the subject. 12-60 lens, ISO 1000, f.6.3, 1/100, 50mm. Critique welcome.
Billbourd

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,706
Re: First time posting photo

Nice lighting! Very dramatic.

AoxoA
AoxoA Regular Member • Posts: 295

12/50 or 12/60?

AoxoA

AoxoA's gear list:AoxoA's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
cinemascope Regular Member • Posts: 100

I love it, on so many levels...
Just wondering if it's crop or not.
If not, even more amazing... Great composition...

kgwhite
kgwhite Veteran Member • Posts: 5,163

Wow, I'd say this is a pretty nice image. The lighting angle, sharpness and color work very well. I'm a fan of people shots were the face fills the frame. I'm sure others will have a different opinion on that.

Regardless, this is an image to be proud of.

JohnBGood
JohnBGood Regular Member • Posts: 347

I would quote every post above mine and add my congratulations on a great photo, great color saturation, lighting gives great dimension to the face, even the small color touch of the earring gives a counterpoint to the massive colors in the face!

Great picture!
--
A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +4 more
OP billbourd Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Thanks for all the kind comments. I felt, possibly incorrectly, the photo might show some of the good DR the camera has. And Aoxoa thanks for catching the lens mistake, it was the kit lens, 12-50. The original was shot in 16/9 format and I cropped out the sides.
Billbourd

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Stan Powers
Stan Powers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,648

A fine photo - lovely kid - so drawn to those black eyes - composition/crop, exposure, saturation, colors - all right on - a good display of your skills - and of the (much maligned) 12-50mm. Thank you for posting!

-- hide signature --

Too Much Gear - Too Litte Time!
http://picasaweb.google.com/akasrp

Stan Powers's gear list:Stan Powers's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D500 Olympus Air Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +13 more
drummerman Regular Member • Posts: 297

She has a beautiful face but at least on my monitor one side of her eye brow/forehead seems blown whilst her right side is under exposed.

Difficult lighting conditions I understand and some may correct me.

I certainly wouldn't level the level of criticism at you that I gave some others.

regards

jpzundel Regular Member • Posts: 103

Great shot.

Have you tried the Auto Tone Correction in the Olympus Viewer 2?

If you have not tried it yet, this picture is an ideal lighting situation to try to bring out the details in the darker parts.

It never stops to amaze me how good that Apical Auto Tone is to improve the perceived Dynamic Range of a picture.

jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX100 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-M1
vincent filomena
vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106
Critique...

How do you critique a once in a lifetime shot ?

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Re: Critique...

Thanks for that "critique". What can I say other that a model who puts up with Opa and a great camera/lens. As a side note when walking around the street fair in this small village in the middle of the Catskills I found another fellow with a OMD strapped around his neck. We both were very surprised to see this in a group of about 300-400.
Billbourd

jpzundel wrote:

Great shot.

Have you tried the Auto Tone Correction in the Olympus Viewer 2?

If you have not tried it yet, this picture is an ideal lighting situation to try to bring out the details in the darker parts.

It never stops to amaze me how good that Apical Auto Tone is to improve the perceived Dynamic Range of a picture.

No, actually I have not, one of the many things I have yet to learn. Will put it back on the card and see if it will allow me to do that. Thanks for the idea.
Billbourd

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,659

Nice painting and good image

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
gulffish
gulffish Senior Member • Posts: 2,176

Wow! That's a fabulous picture, great color and depth of detail. Well done to you and the E-M5!
--
Kirk

jpzundel Regular Member • Posts: 103

So as to avoid confusion:

• there is Auto Gradation in the camera

• there is Auto Tone in the PC/MAC Olympus Viewer 2 (also in Master) program

Both use the same Apical algorithm, but I was referring to the off-camera PC/MAC processing. I have not used the in-camera Auto Gradation, but very often use the PC/MAC Auto Tone.

jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX100 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads