OM-D E-M5 SD card benchmark test

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150
OM-D E-M5 SD card benchmark test

For easier viewing of the table, a web version of this article is placed here:
http://moonlightknighthk.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/om-d-e-m5-sd-benchmark-test/

It’s easy to do a bit of google and find that Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card is one of the best choices for my OM-D E-M5 camera (or any camera that takes SD card). However, I’d prefer cheaper cards. So I bought a Kingston UltimateX 100X Gen 2 Class 10 (SD10G2) 32GB and borrowed a few other cards and performed this test to find out how fast (or slow) it is, relative to price. (Note: there are many complaints about this Kingston card being slow in amazon)

Methodology

• OM-D E-M5 with Firmware 1.1

• IS Off setting

• 9fps setting

• Set to RAW

• Shoot a watch / clock, hold the shutter until the camera pauses briefly

• Check how many photos are taken

• Measure the time between pressing the shutter and the SD write icon disappears

• Set to RAW + JPEG Large Normal and repeat

Benchmark Test Results:

• Time is measured in units of seconds

• error + / - 1 second

Frames, Raw time, Raw + JPEG Large Normal time

Transcend Class 10 SDHC UHS-I TS16GSDHC10U1 16GB
12, 12s, 19s

Kingston UltimateX 100X Gen 2 Class 10 SD10G2 32GB
12, 20s, 28s

Eye-Fi Mobile X2 Class 6 8GB (WiFi turned off)
12, 21s, 29s

Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s Class 6 SDHC UHS-I 32GB Class 6
12, 27s, 39s

Kingston Class 4 SD SD4 8GB
12, 25s, 44s

Kingmax Class 10 MicroSDHC 16GB
12, 28s, 41s

Lexar Class 10 MicroSDHC LSDMI32GBSBNAR 32GB
12, 32s, 48s

Leica X2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1) Sigma SD10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tt321
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,774
Re: OM-D E-M5 SD card benchmark test

In other words, writing to card delay is related to the card speed, and overall number of shots before speed drops is a camera property and unrelated to card given at least a half-decent card.

Is it worth bothering about spending large sums on fast(er) cards?

OP Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150

tt321 wrote:

overall number of shots before speed drops is a camera property and unrelated to card given at least a half-decent card.

I think I read some reviews stating 15 or 16 frames using the fastest cards, but I couldn't achieve this with the cheap cards I tested above.

Is it worth bothering about spending large sums on fast(er) cards?

Perhaps it depends on how frequent continuous shooting is done. If the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB were only 1.2x (instead of 3.25x from where I buy them) the price of my Kingston Class 10 32GB, I'd certainly have bought the Sandisk...

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 16GB
13, 12s, 17s (12 frame only)

I know this is the one of the fastest card, and this result confirms it. However, this result is different from other reviews, so I must assume my judgment of when the camera "pauses" is a bit different from others.

Spectacle99
Spectacle99 Regular Member • Posts: 120
One question

Good info. Thanks for checking this.

One question: After that twelfth frame, does the camera stop shooting entirely, or does it just slow down to fewer frames per second until the card is done writing?

Re: One question

It does not stop but it slows down very much, between 1 to 2 fps with an average card.

Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967

Thanks for this benchmark. Your measured differences between the 95 mb/s SanDisk and Transcend suggest that they perform virtually the same. And since the Transcend cost me 30% I bought it and it makes a big difference vs. the 30 mb/s Sandisk in both the Olympus E-M5 and Fuji X10.

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads