Tips and tricks for setting up the OM-D E-M5

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
Macx Senior Member • Posts: 1,433
Tips and tricks for setting up the OM-D E-M5

Perhaps we can gather some of the non-obvious advice to how to get the most out of the M5's many confusing options. Feel free to add stuff.

Stabilised viewfinder is enabled by turning On the option "Half Way Rls With IS" in Custom Menu C. For allowing you to half-press the shutter to get the stabilised viewfinder even with a magnified view, you need to turn "LV Close Up Mode" to "mode2" in Custom Menu D. You may also want to turn on the IBIS in sequential shooting by setting the "Sequential shooting + IS Off" to "Off" in Custom Menu C.

The functionality of the Multi-Function Button (default is Fn2) can be changed by holding it down and turning a dial. There are four functions: Highlight and Shadow Control, White Balance, Magnify and Image Aspect ratio.

Similarly the different display information overlays (levels, histograms etc.) can be scrolled thru by holding down the Info-button and turning a dial.

Back Focus Button functionality can be enabled in S-AF or MF mode, if you change the AEL/AEF button to mode 3 in Custom Menu A. That makes the AEL/AEF button a back focus button. In C-AF, mode 3 and mode 4 will make the AEL/AEF button start the AF.

Another functionality the AEL button can have is to be a Spot Meter Button . By setting the AEL Metering to the Spot setting, you can use the AEL button to take a spot metering, even if you're in center-averaged or ESP metering mode.

Changing the shutter time limit for Auto ISO can be done by changing the Flash Slow Limit in Custom Menu F. In practice the available range is between 1/30 second to 1/250 second. Note that the camera either use this shutter time or the old 1/equivalent focal length of your lens-rule to determine the shutter time limit, going with whichever is shortest.

C-AF works alright if you use the Vivid picture mode and keep the AF area to 1x1. Turning the Release Priority to On in Custom Menu C is also advisable. Don Parrot discovered this.

One-button bracketing involves the use of the custom modes or MySet. For it to work, you need to make one MySet with your usual non-bracketing preference, and another MySet with your bracketing preferences. For example 7 frame 1/3 EV and Hi-Speed sequential shooting. In your non-bracketing MySet you need to set a button for the bracketing MySet. At present this can only be the Fn1, L-Fn, B-Fn1 or B-Fn2 buttons. This allows you to enter bracketing mode by holding down your chosen button and shooting.

The above method can be used to activate any particular set of presets, for example C-AF + Vivid picture mode + Small Autofocus Area.

Time-lapse is sort of possible by putting the camera in sequential shooting mode and setting the Anti-Shock duration in Custom Menu E. This can be set up to 30 second. For practical reasons, using a lockable remote cable is preferable.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
eyeshutter Forum Member • Posts: 86
bookmarked...

very informative. just got mine over the weekend. still fiddlin' with the controls. thanks.

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,150
Re: Tips and tricks for setting up the OM-D E-M5

Macx wrote:

Time-lapse is sort of possible by putting the camera in sequential shooting mode and setting the Anti-Shock duration in Custom Menu E. This can be set up to 30 second. For practical reasons, using a lockable remote cable is preferable.

If you want time lapse, a better solution is to get a wired shutter release that has time lapse support in in. The last I checked, you could get such units for about $20 on ebay.

If you use an iphone, you can get a dongle and cable for about the same cost from triggertrap.com that allows you to use the phone for time lapse support (and some other functions).

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +19 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,469
Compose w/EVF, auto review image on LCD

It's a little quirky, but it works. . .

Settings:

Wrench (Settings), Rec View = Auto
Cog-J (Built In EVF), EVF Auto Switch = On

I'm set up to use the EVF with the LCD screen blank.

. Press button on right side of EVF to make the EVF the primary display.
. Press Info repeatedly until the LCD screen is blank

When I take a shot and keep my eye at the EVF, the review displays in the EVF momentarily, then switches to show up in the LCD. Removing the camera from the eye, the review remains. To shoot again, look through the EVF (the review on the LCD ends as you get back the LV in the EVF). If you just want to blank the EVF, hold the camera close to the body or put a thumb near the EVF for the sensor to detect).

The key here, I believe, is not to remove your eye from the EVF before the review shows up in the EVF. If you drop the camera from your face before you see the review in the EVF, neither the EVF or the LCD will display (they'll both remain blank).

Using the .5, 1, 3, etc. second review setting will not allow this operation, the Rec View must be set to Auto.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +11 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,368

Macx wrote:

Changing the shutter time limit for Auto ISO can be done by changing the Flash Slow Limit in Custom Menu F. In practice the available range is between 1/30 second to 1/250 second. Note that the camera either use this shutter time or the old 1/equivalent focal length of your lens-rule to determine the shutter time limit, going with whichever is shortest.

This is a bit confusing. Is this something that only comes into play when using flash? Or is it something that is about Auto ISO even when not using flash?

The Flash Slow Limit by default is 1/60. Are you saying that even when not using flash but using Auto ISO the camera will not go below 1/60 because of this setting? In other words, if I am shooting at 9mm the shutter speed with Auto ISO will not go below 1/60? In order to allow it to go below 1/60 when not using flash then I must set Flash Slow Limit to one of the much lower settings? Of course, this then affects the camera when I do use flash too when I might prefer the default 1/60 setting.

Thanks for your clarification.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

wayoutoffocus Junior Member • Posts: 25
thanks

This is a great idea. I will post questions soon, no doubt!

OP Macx Senior Member • Posts: 1,433

Henry Richardson wrote:

Macx wrote:

This is a bit confusing. Is this something that only comes into play when using flash? Or is it something that is about Auto ISO even when not using flash?

The Flash Slow Limit by default is 1/60. Are you saying that even when not using flash but using Auto ISO the camera will not go below 1/60 because of this setting? In other words, if I am shooting at 9mm the shutter speed with Auto ISO will not go below 1/60? In order to allow it to go below 1/60 when not using flash then I must set Flash Slow Limit to one of the much lower settings? Of course, this then affects the camera when I do use flash too when I might prefer the default 1/60 setting.

Thanks for your clarification.

I agree that it's not very obvious, but as far as I can see, you've got it right. I would say that "much lower settings" is a bit of an overstatement, as I find the longest shutter time I can get for the automatic setting are 1/30 second, since the 1/EFL rule trumps this setting. Maybe someone with a the Panasonic 7-14 mm can check if they are able to get down to 1/15 second at the wide end. It's more useful in the other direction giving you a better chance to stop action even when using auto ISO.

And yes, it will of course also affects when the automatic flash turns on, as is probably sensible as the general idea is to set a threshold for how long a shutter time you want.

Of course, we could wish for even more customization, but in the meantime, if you have more specific demands regarding shutter time, I would suggest not using either auto ISO or auto flash, and simply either dial in the ISO you need, or turn the flash on or off as it suits you.

efg40
efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193

My favorite configuration discovery, and I mean discovery as it was not easy for me to stumble upon, is the ability to change the default from "no" to "yes" for the delete question answer pop up. You can also change the delete to work without question, but I find this too risky. Changing the default answer to "yes" lets me skip the arrowing up.

To turn one button erase on or off: Custom (gear) menu H -> Quick Erase ->

To change default to yes: Custom menu H -> Priority Set -> Yes

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

Thanks for taking your time and writing this down for posterity.

The only thing I never did get is this function for C-AF: "set Release Priority to On"
Why to ON?
This will only cause your shutter to fire when AF is not locked.

And this is different in CDAF cameras than in phase AF ones. In CDAF and C-AF the image hunts more widely and gives you even more chance of ending up with a OOF frame than in PDAF DSLR.

Say you are in burst and want say 4fps. It fires those 4FPS no mater if it is locked or not if you have Release Priority to On. If you don't have luck all your frames could be OOF. ymmv

If you set Release Priority to OFF than you might not get exactly 4fps, but all frames should be theoretically sharp. ymmv

Am I way off in my thinking here?
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
OP Macx Senior Member • Posts: 1,433

I think this comes down as a question of style, really. The reasoning behind using shutter priority with C-AF is that for "action photography" it's more important to get the shot off at the exact right moment than it is to get focus lock, and that "near misses" are more acceptable than a late shot or no shot at all. As you write, your mileage may vary, and I'm certainly no expert on the field.

AV Janus wrote:

The only thing I never did get is this function for C-AF: "set Release Priority to On"
Why to ON?

And this is different in CDAF cameras than in phase AF ones. In CDAF and C-AF the image hunts more widely and gives you even more chance of ending up with a OOF frame than in PDAF DSLR.

Say you are in burst and want say 4fps. It fires those 4FPS no mater if it is locked or not if you have Release Priority to On. If you don't have luck all your frames could be OOF. ymmv

If you set Release Priority to OFF than you might not get exactly 4fps, but all frames should be theoretically sharp. ymmv

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,734
A couple of links

Not that I've got or intend to get E-M5 but I am slowly collecting a few useful links on my general Olympus M4/3 links page.

A couple of possibly well known setup help links are there in the blue box with the E-M5 info. http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/03-epl1-links.html

I've also linked back to this thread just in case it grows to become the standard hints thread.

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Ergo607
Ergo607 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Bookmarked...

Already some very helpful features (tis!)

Hope to see more. The E-M5 riddle gets solved piece by piece...

-- hide signature --
 Ergo607's gear list:Ergo607's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Ergo607
Ergo607 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Re: Compose w/EVF, auto review image on LCD - doesn't work for me...

Hi Bob,

doing exactly what you describe, but that doesn't seem to work for me. What am I doing wrong?

Bob Tullis wrote:

It's a little quirky, but it works. . .

Settings:

Wrench (Settings), Rec View = Auto
Cog-J (Built In EVF), EVF Auto Switch = On

I'm set up to use the EVF with the LCD screen blank.

. Press button on right side of EVF to make the EVF the primary display.
. Press Info repeatedly until the LCD screen is blank

When I take a shot and keep my eye at the EVF, the review displays in the EVF momentarily, then switches to show up in the LCD. Removing the camera from the eye, the review remains. To shoot again, look through the EVF (the review on the LCD ends as you get back the LV in the EVF). If you just want to blank the EVF, hold the camera close to the body or put a thumb near the EVF for the sensor to detect).

The key here, I believe, is not to remove your eye from the EVF before the review shows up in the EVF. If you drop the camera from your face before you see the review in the EVF, neither the EVF or the LCD will display (they'll both remain blank).

Using the .5, 1, 3, etc. second review setting will not allow this operation, the Rec View must be set to Auto.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

-- hide signature --
 Ergo607's gear list:Ergo607's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022

Also I think that if you are shooting in low burst mode, then one shot may just miss focus, but the next one may have caught up and be right ? Also if you have a smaller aperture, then what is not in focus at the time of focusing (the camera focus with a fast aperture I believe ?) may still be right in the final picture due to more DOF.

Macx wrote:

I think this comes down as a question of style, really. The reasoning behind using shutter priority with C-AF is that for "action photography" it's more important to get the shot off at the exact right moment than it is to get focus lock, and that "near misses" are more acceptable than a late shot or no shot at all. As you write, your mileage may vary, and I'm certainly no expert on the field.

AV Janus wrote:

Why to ON?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +4 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,368

Macx wrote:

I agree that it's not very obvious, but as far as I can see, you've got it right.

I have had a chance to try it some and it seems that Flash Slow Limit works as you said and I thought. I have changed mine to 1/30 for the time being. It is confusing how Olympus overloaded this one setting to do what it is intended to do (based on the name) and also do this other thing which affects Auto ISO. For example, a person might prefer for the setting to be 1/60 for the main purpose of this thing (Flash Slow Limit), but be 1/30 or something else for its undocumented purpose of determining the minimum shutter speed when using Auto ISO. I suspect that the firmware writers didn't intend for it to have this second effect but discovered later that they way the code was structured that it existed or don't even know of this secondary effect. Oh well, not a big problem. I am glad to know because it would have been very strange for the camera to never go below 1/60 with Auto ISO and few would have thought to check the Flash Slow Limit setting. Thanks for pointing it out.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

Yes its a proper Easter egg, and the best and rarest kind in this day and age, unintentional one!
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,734
Flash use

With my E-PL1 I accidentally got things right as I always set cameras to slow limits of 1 second out of the box.

The side effect of course is for flash A & P modes the shutter speed may be too slow, good for ambient light but a disaster for smeary backgrounds, so early on I adopted the habit of always going to M mode for any flash use to get proper control. Oly flash in TTL usually, but if a Nikon flash then it runs in its auto mode. The same habit will follow for E-M5/6/7/8/9 or E-P4/5/6/7/8/9 or whatever I decide to eventually upgrade to.

Regards............ Guy

Henry Richardson wrote:

Macx wrote:

I agree that it's not very obvious, but as far as I can see, you've got it right.

I have had a chance to try it some and it seems that Flash Slow Limit works as you said and I thought. I have changed mine to 1/30 for the time being. It is confusing how Olympus overloaded this one setting to do what it is intended to do (based on the name) and also do this other thing which affects Auto ISO. For example, a person might prefer for the setting to be 1/60 for the main purpose of this thing (Flash Slow Limit), but be 1/30 or something else for its undocumented purpose of determining the minimum shutter speed when using Auto ISO. I suspect that the firmware writers didn't intend for it to have this second effect but discovered later that they way the code was structured that it existed or don't even know of this secondary effect. Oh well, not a big problem. I am glad to know because it would have been very strange for the camera to never go below 1/60 with Auto ISO and few would have thought to check the Flash Slow Limit setting. Thanks for pointing it out.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638

Thanks, have to try that with my friend that have one and he is a new user

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Kit Laughlin Regular Member • Posts: 255
Any way to make focus rectangle resize stick?

I would like to make one of the smaller than standard focus point rectangles (set from the Live View LCD screen) stick when I turn the camera off, and back on.

Any hints?
--
Kit Laughlin
http://www.KitLaughlin.com/ , http://www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/

acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Re: Oldbut still undocumented feature ;)

The first time we noticed the option to influence Auto ISO with flash synch speed was with the FT E-510. Since then this is an undocumented feature. Sometimes very useful, other times annoying when working with a strobe and wrong settings. I guess that is why it is still not documented.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M1 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads