Light leak fix. No thanks, Canon!

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
tigertails99 Contributing Member • Posts: 548
Re: Light leak fix. No thanks, Canon!

Roger Cicala from Lens Rental thinks it is a perfectly good solution and that it works flawlessly. See DPR news.

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,594
Troll this troll that.

At least you're honest.
--
Some favourite pics:

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,819
You can't please a troll......

You're just feeding his ego by responding.

-- hide signature --

Yea, my 5D3 has the light leak with the lens cap on. The pics are better with the cap off anyway.

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Rare device modified by hand achieves record price.

A modified Canon EOS 5D III camera* circa 2012 achieved a staggering price of 3,000,000,000 Yuan at the World Historical Devices Auction in Shanghai yesterday.

Purchased by an unnamed bidder, this camera was unique in that it was one of the very few of this model that had been modified internally with a small piece of black tape. Subsequent production models which sold in quantities of many hundreds of thousands have a slightly different assembly using green tape which makes them far less valuable.

A Sotheby’s spokesman said “This modified camera is extremely rare and the price achieved today reflects that. No one is really sure what the modification was for but various experts who have examined the camera agree that it is totally, totally unique.”

Brian Dull, a manufacturing historian said “50 years ago it seems manufacturing companies occasionally used to modify things by hand. That seems a very strange concept to us now but that’s what makes this particular device so interesting. I would certainly give my left gonad for one.”

An expert, Ronald Troll, from Budleigh Salterton, Europe, said “Actually this product has no real intrinsic value at all. It’s not generally known, apart from by experts like me, that cameras as people used to call them, were pretty much unusable as practical imaging devices. It was only later when the resolution exceeded 500 million pixels** that such a device had any practical use. That and of course the addition of 4D ultra images with infinite DR expansion.”

1* Cameras were devices that took still images which were then examined on computer monitors and very occasionally printed on a fibrous material called paper. Interest in such limited use devices waned rapidly in the early 21st century when mass production of cheap high quality wall panels rendered still images obsolete.

2* No idea – some technical stuff.

Shad0w Regular Member • Posts: 378

BillyGoatGruff - you're an idiot....

bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,727

Shad0w wrote:

BillyGoatGruff - you're an idiot....

That's Doctor Idiot to you.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=41313247

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon Z7 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +5 more
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,775
looks like op is clueless

another troll post

really? you like doing this to yourself?

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +9 more
eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
I guess we should recall all Satellites,

and automobiles out there. Most if not all of them use tape in some fashion or other.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

Torch Senior Member • Posts: 1,979

Its very humorous to read the replies in defense of tape along with a falling mirror. Some of these people would repair a cracked wine glass with tape by their reasoning.

All this ongoing product nonsense arguing stops me from spending more on this brand of products. It only puts me on guard to look for the next stumble in new product.

The concept of bracket focusing to dismiss soft focusing was the first denial of a solving focus. Manual focus can do that reliably enough. Issues never seem to end now.

BillyGoatGruff wrote:

Although I think they should be ashamed of themselves for sticking a piece of black tape to the back of the LCD panel and calling it a bona-fide fix to the light leak defect, I can certainly understand how Canon would do it for the defective units and try to get away with it. There are enough spineless saps out there who are willing to accept anything.

I’m curious, though, as to what Canon is doing for the xxxxx3xxxxx and higher serial numbers. If they plan on manufacturing them with that black tape “fix”, then I’m probably going to pass on the camera altogether.

‘Cause let’s face it: NOBODY who spends $3500 on a camera deserves a product that has a stinking piece of tape inside it like that. A $3500 camera deserves to have PARTS in it. I’m talking about actual parts, i.e. parts designed to properly fit in the camera, and designed to serve a certain purpose. What Canon has done to fix this light leak issue is tantamount to using chewing gum to cover the LCD.

(And for those of you who intend to say “the light leak doesn’t matter anyway”, save it. Even Canon doesn’t agree with you on that one.)

-- hide signature --

Torch

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,149

Torch wrote:

Its very humorous to read the replies in defense of tape along with a falling mirror. Some of these people would repair a cracked wine glass with tape by their reasoning.

No, an internal mechanical flaw is nothing like a visibly cracked wine glass which is judged by its appearance.

If you think they're the same, you need to stop drinking wine out of your camera.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads