Tempted by Sigma 30mm f2.8

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Silat Shooter
Silat Shooter Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Re: Tempted by Sigma 30mm f2.8

Truth be told, neither is great in my opinion in that respect. I found the 24mm too wide a focal length to have really nice bokeh. And I find the Sigma to be a little lacking in that area. Definitely not in the same league as full frame.

If I had to pick one over the other, I'd say the Zeiss 24mm was better but not by much. The Sony 50mm on the other hand...is pleasing.

gbert15 wrote:

I actually thank you for the input and wanted to ask if which one had a more pleasing bokeh rendering for you between the 24 and the 30!

Silat Shooter's gear list:Silat Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III +27 more
headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

gbert15 wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

My current kit is the Sigma 19, Sigma 30 and Sony 50, and I use the 30 the vast majority of the time. The little 30 is much better than it should be. In fact, I'm in the process of selling my Zeiss 24, because, although it is a fantastic lens, I prefer the focal length and size of the Sigma, so I'm barely using the Zeiss. If I need speed and OSS, I can always just switch to my Sony 50.

OP, I would recommend shooting your Nikon 35 at f2.8 for a while to see if you're ok with that aperture.

I have been thinking of trying out the sigma 30 due to its size and reputation of its iq on the forums butI have the zeiss already! Not sure about the 30mm focal length really working for me yet but it does seem like a good walk around focal length but ofcourse the 24mm can do that as well + more!

So my question is, what were the deciding factors for u to probably abandon the 24? Are there any iq differences between the 2 that might have persuaded u otherwise if not for the preferred focal length?

I prefer the focal length of the 30, as well as the size/weight. As far as IQ, they're both very good. The Sigma may be a little sharper at like aperture, but the Zeiss opens up more. As for bokeh, the Zeiss seems a little smoother, but the Sony 50 is smoother than both. The $900 difference between the two is also pretty noticeable.

gbert15
gbert15 Contributing Member • Posts: 580

Hmmm...with that info I might just stick with the 24 then cuz the purpose of eother the 30 or the 24 in my kit was supposed to be mostly for indoor portraits/group shots and walk around lens! I guess my only gripe with the 24 really is its size and that the 30 on the Nex7 looks less intrusive!

Silat Shooter wrote:

Truth be told, neither is great in my opinion in that respect. I found the 24mm too wide a focal length to have really nice bokeh. And I find the Sigma to be a little lacking in that area. Definitely not in the same league as full frame.

If I had to pick one over the other, I'd say the Zeiss 24mm was better but not by much. The Sony 50mm on the other hand...is pleasing.

gbert15 wrote:

I actually thank you for the input and wanted to ask if which one had a more pleasing bokeh rendering for you between the 24 and the 30!

gbert15's gear list:gbert15's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
gbert15
gbert15 Contributing Member • Posts: 580

Hahaha! Gotcha! I was actually thinking of getting some money back if I do swing for the 30 and selling the zeiss which I can use to get me some more flashes, maybe a hvl-58AM! I do wish bokeh rendering on the sigma was more like the 50, or at least better than the zeiss, so it will be a no brainer! And besides with the ziess i usually stop it down to a minimum of 2.8 anyway!

Thanks for the input!

headofdestiny wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

My current kit is the Sigma 19, Sigma 30 and Sony 50, and I use the 30 the vast majority of the time. The little 30 is much better than it should be. In fact, I'm in the process of selling my Zeiss 24, because, although it is a fantastic lens, I prefer the focal length and size of the Sigma, so I'm barely using the Zeiss. If I need speed and OSS, I can always just switch to my Sony 50.

OP, I would recommend shooting your Nikon 35 at f2.8 for a while to see if you're ok with that aperture.

I have been thinking of trying out the sigma 30 due to its size and reputation of its iq on the forums butI have the zeiss already! Not sure about the 30mm focal length really working for me yet but it does seem like a good walk around focal length but ofcourse the 24mm can do that as well + more!

So my question is, what were the deciding factors for u to probably abandon the 24? Are there any iq differences between the 2 that might have persuaded u otherwise if not for the preferred focal length?

I prefer the focal length of the 30, as well as the size/weight. As far as IQ, they're both very good. The Sigma may be a little sharper at like aperture, but the Zeiss opens up more. As for bokeh, the Zeiss seems a little smoother, but the Sony 50 is smoother than both. The $900 difference between the two is also pretty noticeable.

gbert15's gear list:gbert15's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
JohnCarolan Regular Member • Posts: 353
Sigma 30mm samples at f2.8

I've put some full size shots in my gallery (LR3 exports, 0 sharpening 75 quality), would agree with others, bokeh not a strong point of the Sigma, understandable given it's max aperture and sensor combination, but it does at least provide some separation and softening between foreground and background. Excellent walk around lens though, haven't used the 24mm or kit zoom since I got it.

JohnCarolan Regular Member • Posts: 353
correction: above should say 16mm not 24mm

correction: above should say 16mm not 24mm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads