the 149 best shots

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
talico Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: In the eye of the beholder

Le Kilt wrote:

You're allowed to share anything (almost) you like. It can take years to be able to take a step back and see that a photo of something beautiful is not quite so beautiful. That's a lovely photo, but the eyes aren't as sharp as they could be.

No, it is not perfectly sharp.  For this photo though, I could really care less.  Years from now, I can't imagine that I will look at this photo and think it is not beautiful. This truly captured who my daughter was at the time.  Tack sharp eyes are irrelevant.

Kathleen

A tighter crop.

It's odd, the file on my computer has the sun reflected as a bright orange highlight.  It is much subdued here.  On the original DP upload you couldn't even see it.  It is kind of the best part.  Apparently this is a Least Weasel and not an Ermin.

A good example, a "National Geographic moment" might make a special photo, but not a National Geographic photo.

Agreed, it is not worthy of NG.  I would hope it is at least above the bar for content on this forum.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +5 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 17,308
Re: the 149 best shots

I have not shot a lot with my 5D3 yet but here is one I like with 24-70II. Sharp lens with very good IQ in the edges.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
cor20d Regular Member • Posts: 165

Is it my best, i'm sure it's not. Is it a superb shot, i know it's not.

But i love it !

cor20d's gear list:cor20d's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R +19 more
OP Marcus Antonius Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

cor20d wrote:

Is it my best, i'm sure it's not. Is it a superb shot, i know it's not.

But i love it !

I think i can see why you like the wrinkled hornbill. Very prehistoric type of bird. Nice light.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Re: In the eye of the beholder

Years from now, I can't imagine that I will look at this photo and think it is not beautiful.

It's a different kind of beautiful i think. I hope, years from now you will have images you are even more proud of.

talico wrote:

A tighter crop.

Tighter crop works for the composition, but unfortunately you lost a lot of detail by doing so.

Marcus.

-- hide signature --

jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
"You could look it up, if you don't understand what Zen is"

I could also ask my sister, who lived at Zen Center in San Francisco and at Tassajara for about 20 years. But I know she'd say it's hard to explain.

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,129
Re: "You could look it up, if you don't understand what Zen is"

jedinstvo wrote:

I could also ask my sister, who lived at Zen Center in San Francisco and at Tassajara for about 20 years. But I know she'd say it's hard to explain.

I knew you knew what it was. I wonder if she would say it is a lack of purpose. Probably not.

Be well jed

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Re: You're right. This forum is mostly nonsense.

jedinstvo wrote:

Used to be there were interesting threads. Now it's pretty much dweebs who don't take pictures.

Here's a straight-forward news photo that I've sold a lot:

http://www.pbase.com/zidar/image/144780836

And here's another photo that also goes with an important news story.

http://www.pbase.com/zidar/image/146792159

One thing I see absent in this forum is the recognition that photography has a purpose. I shoot newsphotos.

I just checked your pbase account. I really like the Odds and Ends collection. The images you shot in the 80's from Mt. St. Helens are fantastic. (especially "The caldera") Also the war in central bosnia images amazed me.

Marcus

-- hide signature --

Re: ZEN improves with age

Schwany wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

Schwany wrote:

jedinstvo wrote:

Or is it a lack of purpose?

You could look it up, if you don't understand what Zen is. It's primarily about inner peace and forms of mediation. I get that from nature photography, and landscape photography. Motorsports is less Zen like, but does require some concentration and forethought. I could sell my stuff, but selling it wouldn't give it anymore purpose. It has purpose enough in giving it away, and in what I get out of it. My photography has as much purpose as punching a clock with a camera for the daily news.

Anyway, how about creating an interesting thread about photography? You must have something to share besides grumpy negativity. The harbor shots are nice, and a good start, but they are hidden in this thread where only a handful of people are going to look at them and get anything at all out of them.

Nature photography is relaxation to me as well, but only if the luck is on my side.
If shooting birds of prey, and they fly away, or don't sit on the side (backlight e.g.) i want them to, believe me... theres ZERO zen in me.

Having burnt gallons of fuel, spent hours and hours searching for your single moment when a Marsh Harrier is leaving her nest and either the shot you took was out of focus, too much movement in the wings, reed in front of the eye, you name it... ZEN, is a GONER! But... when you have the shot... i hear ya...

Zen is easier to accomplish in retirement. I've had a few days chasing birds where I never pressed the shutter button because I didn't see anything close enough, or because the wind was blowing so hard I couldn't steady the big lens I was using on a monopod. I still got a little ZEN out of those no image capture days because I was outside surrounded by trees, or the salt air and beach. That Marsh Harrier situation you described might give me pause though. I can imagine myself cussing while in the field if that happened.

What I do does not serve the same purpose as photography that accompanies an article though. I get the point jed was making, but purpose comes in many forms. Photographs of the interior of ones house can be used for insurance purposes. They don't need to be taken by a working professional photographer to have purpose.

I agree.

-- hide signature --

Wayno Regular Member • Posts: 388
Ouch!

Hey Marcus, I think I am  one of those "enthusiastic amateurs" you took a swipe at, and have no idea whether my shots would have merited a shutter actuation from you, but I have to assume you are really an OK person, but that maybe you were in a cranky mood when you wrote your post (which I enjoyed anyway, and really liked your photo, btw), so I too will play along and post not my best shot (I haven't taken it yet), but the 5D3 shot I like the most.

Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
DON'T KNOW IF MY BEST SHOTS BUT I LIKE'EM

all with Canon 5d "classic"+ canon 50mm f1.4

indusbreed Contributing Member • Posts: 912
Waiting for weather to clear up...some indoor shots

Its all about catching moments in time:-) ....my little dude was so sleepy, that he was trying to

sleep vertically.

indusbreed's gear list:indusbreed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Duke Gledhill Regular Member • Posts: 347
Re: I'm stick rocking an original 5D...

one with fewer birds...

-- hide signature --

---------------------------------------------------------- Duke Gledhill http://www.dukegledhill.co.uk ----------------------------------------------------------

Duke Gledhill's gear list:Duke Gledhill's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +14 more

Duke Gledhill wrote:

one with fewer birds...

Love it. One small remrak: you still have a dust speck above the rowing boat.

Cheers,

marcus

-- hide signature --

jjshooter Regular Member • Posts: 104

Very nice. Looks peaceful before us humans wreck it!

jjshooter's gear list:jjshooter's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
shawnfb Contributing Member • Posts: 570

absract

-- hide signature --

shawn

ozgazza Regular Member • Posts: 176

Here's 12 of my best for 2012.

http://vitamirus.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/12-of-2012s-favourite-pics.html

I loved your pics but thought your comments showed some of the tone you were arguing against. Took the edge of some great work.

I could learn a lot for you but would be afraid to ask.

-- hide signature --

Gaz
(Melbourne, Australia)
Blog: http://vitamirus.blogspot.com

ozgazza's gear list:ozgazza's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads