It's REAL clear to me now.

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
String
String Senior Member • Posts: 1,867
Re: It's REAL clear to me now.

Also make sure your shooting in 12bit. 14bit slows down the D300 a lot but in 12 bit you can run at the spec for a long time with a fast card; a LOT longer than you are stating.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Re: Check out the link before you make up your mind about D800 and fast action.

If he's not interested I have an E model coming you can have for 125%.

Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,983

sssesq wrote:

Ya gotta be careful in these forums as a lot of people will post stupidity to try to get a response...I guess that the poster of the 'do video' knows full well that the camera caputers at much lower resolution than still shots, otherwise one could do stills at 60pfs...

I have nothing good to say about them as these types as they were once newbies, too. Try to pull someone up rather than drag them down, and your stature with the other posters will only increase if you do.

Technology marches on and all that...

The New Canon in October will shoot at 8mp and 30fps. My last DSLR was 8mp. Get ready for the sniper vs. machine gun debates soon to come.

When they get to 12mp per frame at 30fps I'm just going to buy a huge memory card, point the camera at something and let it fire off until the card fills. Bet I get some good pictures in there somewhere.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
Perhaps what's missing in your pics ...

... is a REAL photographer.

Have a look at this:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1108889

-- hide signature --
 emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D300S Nikon D750 +12 more
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

Event_shooter wrote:

If you're just shooting your child's soccer match, the D800 is fine, but if you want to get that one amazing shot that makes you a lot of money, you need the D4 .

Or be a good sports photographer.

Unless... no one ever shot sports before 4, 6, 8 FPS.

Pretty sure they did though.
And quite well.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

TFergus wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

If you're just shooting your child's soccer match, the D800 is fine, but if you want to get that one amazing shot that makes you a lot of money, you need the D4 .

Or be a good sports photographer.

Unless... no one ever shot sports before 4, 6, 8 FPS.

Pretty sure they did though.
And quite well.

True. There was a time when 5fps was considered golden.

Myallegro31 Regular Member • Posts: 280
Re: yeah....we know this already...

Yea, some of those shots back in the 60's and 70's must have really been horrid without 10 FPS... Even in the early age of digital, how could the photographers have gotten anything worth publishing or selling without 10 FPS. Man! I guess quality, worthy sports photos only started appearing once cameras were able to shoot 10 FPS... Listen to yourselves..................... thanks for giving me a chuckle, I needed that.

Clark Hampton wrote:

4 FPS is not for sports.
11 FPS is for sports

BUT, you can always try and probably do ok. After all, 11 FPS has not been around forever.

-- hide signature --
 Myallegro31's gear list:Myallegro31's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
DrGoon Regular Member • Posts: 137

Event_shooter wrote:

Hackney, thanks for "getting it". One always must decide how far one needs to spoon feed remarks to unsuspecting posters. Thanks you for confirming my convictions that at least a few people here have a brain.

I'll let my analogy float out there as chum to feed the trolls, while I snicker at them .

I don't think that you understand what a forum troll is or what trolling is. Trolling is not replying with invective, that is flaming. In Internet terminology, the troll attempts to draw abuse from other posters by setting "flame bait", or to use you own mixed metaphor "chum to feed the trolls".

You've actually just confirmed what most readers already understood - that you are the one trolling, and that you're comically ignorant of the meaning of the term.

DrGoon's gear list:DrGoon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D90 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,535
As Yogi Berra said.....
 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
Jim Trainor Regular Member • Posts: 270
I'm sure you're right

I bought the D800 after considering the D4 also. For about a nanosecond.

Key specification difference:
$5999 vs $2999.

I don't shoot much fast action, but when I do I'll just have to make do with the D800.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,746

There you go bursting my bubble. I've been reading and seeing all these great "sports" pictures, most notably those circulating showing a polo match.

Actually I recenlty tried out the D4 on H and was immediatly taken. I shoot a D3s and a lot of action, even 1FPS more I can already imagine some images captured that might be missed with the D3/D3s. For some things any amount of resolution can't make up for missing the moment.

That is why nikon produced to cameras is it not What is a mystery to me is when and if they won't just speed up the D800 and release a D800x same sensor, faster buffer stream. After all I'm sure the expeed and data path can very quickly be sped up with a new generation of chips!

The challenge will be telling the wife I just went out and spent 6000 instead of 3000

Event_shooter wrote:

I took the D4 and the D800E out yesterday to shoot some wind surfing. I put both on CH, and fired both.

Yes I left the D800 on full rez, large Raw/fine, as with the D4.

Yes, we all know the D800E is NOT a sports shooter camera, but until you actually hold them, use them in a real life situation it doesn't really drive it home.

In my opinion there is no way you can shoot a sport event with the D800E. OH SURE I get the part of being a super photographer and hitting the button at the precise moment you can shoot side by side with a D4 - NO you can't.

There really, really are images that happen with subtle differences when shooting at 10-12 shots or 3-4 shots.

Then there is a "work" part. with the D4 vs the D800E. With the D4, you just point in the "direction" of the shot and hold the shutter down and you are guaranteed the shot - hands down, no missed shot. The D800E you need to pay attention, concentrate, anticipate, etc. etc. You know, the things every photographer needs to know and do.

Bottom line if you make a living shooting fast paced the D800E is not for you. If you want AMAZING resolution the D4 is not for you.

These things we've know since the two cameras were announced, but driven home in spades to me yesterday.

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +18 more
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Perhaps what's missing in your pics ...

emem wrote:

... is a REAL photographer.

Have a look at this:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1108889

Nope, sorry... can't be done.. you NEED a D4

Brivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
It's all ball bearings these days

I haven't weighed in on a forum discussion in a number of years, having cut my teeth with the early digicams (Minolta D7hi and others) back before the first real DSLR's starting coming to market. It's always interesting to see the discussions with regard to what camera serves what purpose best. I can say having shot with a D70, D300(currently own), D3, varying pro glass primes and zooms, having the FPS to fall back on is a nice insurance policy when shooting fast moving subjects, multiple, and varying light.

But I'm in a quandary with this latest offering in the D800 and D4. I'm not a pro meaning I do not derive my primary income from photography, but I do work with schools, families, friends, etc much of which is sports related and also some portrait work. I continually review the work of pros, many of whom I have to chuckle at their ability to command the tools they wield.

I just can't justify the expense of the D4 when there is no doubt it'd do the "trick" in everything I do currently (no pop up flash for commanding 3+ flashes would sting me though). The D800 with max 4fps (but dropping back to a DX mode and getting 7 is doable) would be fine for most people.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's to continue refining basic photography skills regardless of the tool being used. Use a monopod almost 100% of the time if not on a tripod. I cleaned up my act considerably doing just that. Next, quit mowing down the field with 50 shots of one action sequence. Use short bursts, anticipate the shots, and even with slower FPS (eg. 5-6) you can get the shots you need. I used to scrutinize thousands of photos of one event where I just held the shutter down "hoping" to get a shot. Applying basic rules of anticipation will get you the shots you want with lots less headache on the backend. Not saying having 11fps is overkill, it'd definitely be the ticket if I could pull a shot that gets the payday..and that's the difference for most I think. I really don't crop much anymore, again, applying basic photography skills and framing appropriately. I didn't grow up on film, but I do study the technology of DSLR's and love to see the new gear...it's now time for the next upgrade
--
http://www.teamrivers.com

Brivers's gear list:Brivers's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +2 more
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: It's all ball bearings these days

I think it's pretty obvious that a camera shooting 11 fps will do a better job capturing sports action than a camera shooting 4 fps.
--
"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
harold1968
harold1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687

The D800 and D4 have the same focus system
Ah........

Event_shooter wrote:

I took the D4 and the D800E out yesterday to shoot some wind surfing. I put both on CH, and fired both.

Yes I left the D800 on full rez, large Raw/fine, as with the D4.

Yes, we all know the D800E is NOT a sports shooter camera, but until you actually hold them, use them in a real life situation it doesn't really drive it home.

In my opinion there is no way you can shoot a sport event with the D800E. OH SURE I get the part of being a super photographer and hitting the button at the precise moment you can shoot side by side with a D4 - NO you can't.

There really, really are images that happen with subtle differences when shooting at 10-12 shots or 3-4 shots.

Then there is a "work" part. with the D4 vs the D800E. With the D4, you just point in the "direction" of the shot and hold the shutter down and you are guaranteed the shot - hands down, no missed shot. The D800E you need to pay attention, concentrate, anticipate, etc. etc. You know, the things every photographer needs to know and do.

Bottom line if you make a living shooting fast paced the D800E is not for you. If you want AMAZING resolution the D4 is not for you.

These things we've know since the two cameras were announced, but driven home in spades to me yesterday.

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Sony RX1R Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,426

Event_shooter wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH, thanks for making me spit my coffee out my nose all over my screen.

I think you've got a problem there!

John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,426

Event_shooter wrote:

"Need" is an exaggeration. A D3/D3S user does not need a D4.

There are plenty of other bodies around as well for a fraction of the price which are fast enough, even if some feel that a D800 is not one of them.

Teleboy Regular Member • Posts: 131

The D800 and the D4 have the same focus system in the same way the D700 and D3 did. In other words: same in style, disadvantaged in substance. The speed of autofocus on the Dx bodies has always been noticeably better. The D3s on my 70-200 seems to focus before I've even pressed the button! The D800 takes a few milliseconds to think. Just a few mind you!

Brivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
Re: It's all ball bearings these days

relatively new to the forums eh...great insight. For the professional, yes, 11fps would be the way to go..for the soccer mom..not so much. but in DX mode within the 800, effective pixels is similar putting 7fps so it's a matter of function. Don't get me wrong, the D4 is made to take action. But the D800 seems to be more flexible with that regard. I'd love to have both, then no arguments
--
http://www.teamrivers.com

Brivers's gear list:Brivers's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +2 more
COBill Regular Member • Posts: 113

Buy a RED camera and select stills from the video.

After all, look at video taken at 24 or 30 FPS and imagine choosing only 10 of those!

Of course there are times where 10 FPS is needed - that's why Nikon brought out the F4.

But the balance of the time it's like the difference between carrying an automatic weapon and a single shot weapon; in most circumstances if you make the single shots count, you don't need to spray the area with automatic gunfire.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads