World's best photographer

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
moji Regular Member • Posts: 151
World's best photographer

moji's gear list:moji's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K10D Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
JustDavid
JustDavid Contributing Member • Posts: 514
+1 (n/t)
-- hide signature --

davidsladek | virtual world
http://www.davidsladek.com

JustDavid's gear list:JustDavid's gear list
Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +8 more
steelski Senior Member • Posts: 2,555
why?

why? why?

Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216
Re: why?

Referring to the guy helping not the shot taker.
--

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +9 more
OP moji Regular Member • Posts: 151

steelski wrote:

why? why?

Look at the camera on his shoulder...

moji's gear list:moji's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K10D Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Michael de Ruijter Contributing Member • Posts: 840
+1 (n/t)

-Mike

johnat60 Regular Member • Posts: 404

If you have to ask the question, I seriously doubt there's any point to giving you an answer.

johnat60's gear list:johnat60's gear list
Pentax K-5 +1 more
LFLee Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: World's best photographer

any decent human being would give a hand in this situation....

+1 for the photographer who carry the injured person.
-1 for the person who photograph the picture....

someuy Regular Member • Posts: 172

Someone has to document horrific events. The best photojournalism requires photographers to distance themselves from the events occurring around them. Kudos for the fellow who helped, but criticism of the actual photographer is misplaced. How would we be having this conversation without his picture?

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,158

And do we need to have the conversation ?
over providing succour to the injured ?

As to world best photographer more 'decent human being' a much higher accolade.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,573

I agree with Adam.

I don't necessarily have an issue with a photo like this being taken. The issue is with how it is used. In the context of this thread, it's really a despicable use of a photo like this. No need to show the victim like this in an attempt to demonstrate how "great" a citizen is for helping out.

I don't know enough about the context of the photo to render an opinion if there is a good context that benefits from the use of the photo. But this isn't one. There has to be a good journalistic need that outweighs the hit to human dignity.

Again, I don't have so much an issue with a photographer making the split decision to take the photo. But, one has to use judgement in USING the photo. The OP in my opinion, used terrible judgement in deciding to use this photo for very little purpose. The message could have been conveyed that a photographer chose to get involved and help without posting this photo. It's all opinion, but my opinion is it is a very misguided use of such a photo.

No need to be like that, the shot is avarage and I did not see the camera.

johnat60 wrote:

If you have to ask the question, I seriously doubt there's any point to giving you an answer.

and the penny drops.

moji wrote:

steelski wrote:

why? why?

Look at the camera on his shoulder...

yudi Regular Member • Posts: 480

why cannot we assume that the two photographers, giving his hands & taking the pictures, were together, when they run into this situation? They night say: WE have to give our hands to help.

-- hide signature --

yudi's gear list:yudi's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +5 more
yudi Regular Member • Posts: 480

typo correction: they might say

;(

-- hide signature --

yudi's gear list:yudi's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +5 more
tdwesbo
tdwesbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,610

I think it's a great, dramatic image, and kudos to the camera-toting gentleman helping the police get this person some help.

What's the fuss? I don't understand...

tdwesbo's gear list:tdwesbo's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-T1 7artisans 25mm F1.8 Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +2 more
FarHagh Contributing Member • Posts: 779

LFLee wrote:

any decent human being would give a hand in this situation....

+1 for the photographer who carry the injured person.
-1 for the person who photograph the picture....

I'm not sure I agree. If there is no need to more help; what if you can do nothing better?

If (s)he had not recorded this moment we'd not appreciate the other photographers responsible action.

-+-+-+-
Farhad

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
 leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads