How many MP is enough?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
dominikov Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: How many MP is enough?

Colin K. Work wrote:

What I 'need' is around 20-25px which covers pretty much any publication task I'm likely to be involved in. More than that gives me the luxury of croppability, but that begins to be a trade-off on file size and performance.

To be honest, if my work required 40mp plus I would be looking at medium format systems.

Colin, I hear the 'if I need more mp I'll use MF...' line quite often but the reality is outside of rentals you need $10K just to get in the door with an entry level system (Pentax 645D) and then you're forking out for a whole new range of lenses, and some of them are $5K+.

Something that offers results close to medium format for $3000 that takes your existing lenses has got to sound tempting to any professional or serious amateur, even if Canon hasn't come to the table yet.

What also changes the game is the expectations of clients. A $3000 price point has put the D800 in the hands of cashed up beginners and enthusiasts, and much like an affordable 5Dmk2 back in 2008 which made 21mp files quite common, an affordable 36mp Nikon will have a similar effect. People will start expecting much larger files, regardless of whether the product is any better or not.

dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,656

dominikov wrote:

Colin K. Work wrote:

What I 'need' is around 20-25px which covers pretty much any publication task I'm likely to be involved in. More than that gives me the luxury of croppability, but that begins to be a trade-off on file size and performance.

To be honest, if my work required 40mp plus I would be looking at medium format systems.

Colin, I hear the 'if I need more mp I'll use MF...' line quite often but the reality is outside of rentals you need $10K just to get in the door with an entry level system (Pentax 645D) and then you're forking out for a whole new range of lenses, and some of them are $5K+.

Something that offers results close to medium format for $3000 that takes your existing lenses has got to sound tempting to any professional or serious amateur, even if Canon hasn't come to the table yet.

What also changes the game is the expectations of clients. A $3000 price point has put the D800 in the hands of cashed up beginners and enthusiasts, and much like an affordable 5Dmk2 back in 2008 which made 21mp files quite common, an affordable 36mp Nikon will have a similar effect. People will start expecting much larger files, regardless of whether the product is any better or not.

That's true to a certain extent, but in many areas of business the clients have even less of a need for high res photogrphy than they did a decade ago. Print media is being replaced by the tablet PC. Many images will only be used for web pages and other low res applications.

There will always be a need for high res images in some circles, but now in the era of facebook and 2mp HD displays being the typical viewing media more than 6mp is often overkill.

But then if you're in the business who expects MF files, I don't know if higher MP DSLRs are the answer. 5 years ago when 39mp medium format was king of the hill a D800 would have been a bombshell on the industry. But now these same clients are getting 50-80mp files from MF. If you have needed MF for your work in the past I don't know that a D800 changes that need.
--

My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +7 more
mischivo
mischivo Contributing Member • Posts: 620
18 is enough.
-- hide signature --

portfolio :: http://pavelkounine.com
daily blog :: http://pavelkounine.com/blog

I shoot film. I shoot digital. Both are great in their own ways. The nice thing about film is that I can always have the most advanced imaging technology around packed into my 20 year old camera. That's one aspect of digital that I loathe.

ratzass Regular Member • Posts: 237

I must agree with your logic. Very well put,sir.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads