5D MK3 with Eye-Fi card

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
studiomk Regular Member • Posts: 209
5D MK3 with Eye-Fi card

Just wanted to hear how anyone using an Eye-Fi SD card with their 5D MKIII is getting on? I run the Eye-Fi through CF adapters on 40D, 5D and 5D MKII, (also Nikon D3100) but would much prefer dual cards and faster WiFi!
--
John Cooper
http://www.studiomk.co.uk

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ali Senior Member • Posts: 1,385
Re: 5D MK3 with Eye-Fi card

I bought the card for use with the 5D3, and it works pretty well --- I have my photos going to the CF card, but I copy the ones I want to transfer to the Eye-Fi card manually.

However, there is a potential issue with battery drain even when disabled:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=41322472

So far one other person seems to have run into this, so maybe it's not a common problem.
Ali

studiomk wrote:

Just wanted to hear how anyone using an Eye-Fi SD card with their 5D MKIII is getting on? I run the Eye-Fi through CF adapters on 40D, 5D and 5D MKII, (also Nikon D3100) but would much prefer dual cards and faster WiFi!
--
John Cooper

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6
Rod73 New Member • Posts: 4

I recently picked up a 5dm3 and I already owned an eyefi card. IMO this is one of the most overlooked features of this camera. Eyefi cards are fully supported and with the dual card options you can setup a very robust workflow. Mine is setup to write fullsize raw to the cf card and write small jpeg to the eyefi, which in turn is configured to upload to an ipad. Pics take about 6 seconds to show up on the ipad.

Walter Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Rod73 wrote:

I recently picked up a 5dm3 and I already owned an eyefi card. IMO this is one of the most overlooked features of this camera. Eyefi cards are fully supported and with the dual card options you can setup a very robust workflow. Mine is setup to write fullsize raw to the cf card and write small jpeg to the eyefi, which in turn is configured to upload to an ipad. Pics take about 6 seconds to show up on the iPad.

I am looking to do exactly this as a way to shoot tethered to an iPad 3....I want to show clients the shot but not the full memory hungry raw files. Could I ask you to give a step by step account of how you do this..simple language for a technologically compromised photographer...;)

Walter

Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS +5 more
ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 1,843

Yeah, I'd be very interested to read this too in layman's terms.

Walter wrote:

Could I ask you to give a step by step account of how you do this..simple language for a technologically compromised photographer...;)

Walter

emdru Junior Member • Posts: 31

Assuming you have already set up your Eye-Fi Card on your computer, download the Eye-Fi app for the iPad from the Apple Store. Log onto to the App with the same credentials as you have for the card. If the card and the iPad are on the same WiFi network, they should communicate, so long as the card is set to send to the iPad. You then want to configure the card for ad-hoc networking. When this is done, whenever the card and the iPad are out of range of a Wi-Fi network, the transfer will go over the ad-hoc communication. This is fairly well explained in the online help section of the Eye-fi card when you originally configure it.

jayphotoworks Regular Member • Posts: 131

This workflow is very efficient. In a nutshell

a) Buy Eye-Fi X2 Pro (w/ RAW Support)
b) Insert Eye-Fi card into PC
c) Install Eye-Fi center on pc and log-in on your pc using eye-fi account
d) Install Eye-Fi app on ipad and log-in with same eye-fi account

c) In the PC running eye-fi center, click your eye-fi card on the left and select the tab Direct Mode on the right and start Wireless Connection

d) Using the provided wpa key, turn on your ipad and join wifi connection (look for the card's ad-hoc network id)
e) Once the ipad is connected, it will remember this network

f) On the ipad, inside the eye-fi app, I choose the eye-fi card that's added to my account now and select upload to ipad

g) done!.. If you didn't get a 3g ipad/ipad2 or lte ipad3, you will also start cursing at this point because you can no longer browse the internet since the wifi will have been taken over by the eye-fi card.

I then send small jpegs to the eye-fi card and it gets transferred to the ipad automatically. I've been shooting this way for such a long time, I'm really going to miss the sd slot on the 1dx. Fortunately, my 5d3s now have this facility

Rod73 wrote:

I recently picked up a 5dm3 and I already owned an eyefi card. IMO this is one of the most overlooked features of this camera. Eyefi cards are fully supported and with the dual card options you can setup a very robust workflow. Mine is setup to write fullsize raw to the cf card and write small jpeg to the eyefi, which in turn is configured to upload to an ipad. Pics take about 6 seconds to show up on the ipad.

-- hide signature --

jayphotoworks photography

Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,354
Live View possible?

Is it possible for wireless LV to an iPad with the Eye-fi card?
Or is there a way to tether an iPad to the 5D3 to have LV?
Thanks
Eduardo

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 +1 more
Re: Live View possible?

You will need the Canon wifi grips if you need that kind of facility. You can also use the hahnel remote wireless liveview, but at $300, a used wft grip is a better bet (imo).

Edymagno wrote:

Thanks
Eduardo

-- hide signature --

Re: Live View possible?

but, then again, if you are doing this with a 5d3, a used wft grip won't be an option at this point and you'll have to buy new which is a substantial investment.

jayphotoworks wrote:

You will need the Canon wifi grips if you need that kind of facility. You can also use the hahnel remote wireless liveview, but at $300, a used wft grip is a better bet (imo).

Edymagno wrote:

Thanks
Eduardo

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

I recall an initial thread where the user experience was that the eyefi card had poor range in the mk3. It sounds like your experience does not agree. Any issues you've seen? I'm am at least a bit interested in setting up a CF-RAW + SD+JPG/WIFI arrangement but don't want to drop $100 on a card that has a 5 ft range.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

Rod73 wrote:

sounds like an awesome way to set it
i need to get my ipad program written fast

Rod73 New Member • Posts: 4

Walter wrote:

Rod73 wrote:

I recently picked up a 5dm3 and I already owned an eyefi card. IMO this is one of the most overlooked features of this camera. Eyefi cards are fully supported and with the dual card options you can setup a very robust workflow. Mine is setup to write fullsize raw to the cf card and write small jpeg to the eyefi, which in turn is configured to upload to an ipad. Pics take about 6 seconds to show up on the iPad.

I am looking to do exactly this as a way to shoot tethered to an iPad 3....I want to show clients the shot but not the full memory hungry raw files. Could I ask you to give a step by step account of how you do this..simple language for a technologically compromised photographer...;)

Walter

How to setup Eye-Fi direct mode with the 5dm3

Step 1 : Setup your Eye-Fi card and ipad so your camera can send images directly via WIFI

A) Each eye-fi card can have different settings. I have an 8GB setup to upload to my ipad and a 4GB to upload to my android phone. Any X2 card will work -- you don't need the one with RAW image support

B) Follow the IOS instructions for setup here:
http://support.eye.fi/features/direct/ios-eye-fi-app/

Step 2: Setup your camera

A) Go to page 116 in your 5dm3 manual. Or here:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007348/01/eos5dmkiii-im-c-en.pdf

You want to configure the camera to Record Separately then set the image quality for each card (CF & eyefi) on page 119. My CF is set for full size RAW and my eyefi is set for S1 fine. The jpg's look great on the new ipad screen. I think I read a benchmark somewhere showing the eyefi can write at around 6MB/sec.

B) After your eye-fi card is configured, go ahead and put it and the CF card in the camera

Step 3: Try it out

A) Have your ipad nearby and start the eye-fi app

B) Turn on the camera and go to the eye-fi settings on the camera (pg 344 in user manual; wrench icon -> Eye-Fi Settings-). Change the Eye-Fi Transmission option to enable.

B) Take a couple of pictures and then go to your ipad -> settings -> Wifi and select the Eye-fi card if it is not selected already. I need to perform this step because when I'm testing this setup, my ipad defaults to my home wifi connection. If I turn off the camera and turn it back on, I will need to take a shot first, then select the eye-fi card from the setting menu. Note that the eye-fi card will not show up on your ipad wifi connections list until you take a test shot. I've tried this setup away from home and my ipad selects the eye-fi card automatically as soon as there is a photo that needs to be uploaded.

C) Open the eye-fi app and you should see your test photos show up full screen on the ipad

Folks, let me know if I've missed something or there's a quick way to do something.

ArabiaSandStorm Regular Member • Posts: 128

I used the Pro X2 (8GB) which worked flawlessly. I mainly used it to transfer images on the fly to my iPad (2012). It transfers photos through a wifi network, but if you did not have one, it acts as a wifi hotspot where you can connect the iPad.

problems:

1) to change where the card sends photos (iPad/iPhone or PC) you need to access their website, which means you need internet access. So you should check the setup before you leave home.

2) It drains battery fairly quickly if you did not pay attention. In the field, make sure you deselect Video transfer as when I forgot to disable the wifi and went on receding video, the card kept transferring those videos to my iPad, the auto off will not activate when the card is transmitting.

unfortunately I had to return my 5DM3 as I want the "enhanced" version (the one with stronger LCD light shield!)

Dave Seeley Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

Hi John....

I'm up and running with this combo.... it works, though it is substantially slower in Ad Hoc "direct" mode, than the wft E4II on the mark II... Almost slow enough to make it unworkable for me (which is for iPad size preview-not handing it to client while I shoot)... As a result, the iPad is always within a few feet of the card/camera, so I don't know about effective range. It can take 8-20 seconds to get the shot to iPad (small jpeg), and its inconsistent, for reasons I cannot guess. It will also lose the the eyeFi card signal pretty often, for no reason I can nail down... and I need to go back to wifi settings on the iPad, and reselect it. The Wft in Ad Hoc will do the same thing though.... and require a toggle back and forth between airport mode and back to wifi, to get it back up and running. On the eyeFi, between the length of time to preview, and the bugginess, it will interrupt the flow of a model shoot enough that I'd abandon it. I was shooting a friend on Wednesday, so much more relaxed and forgiving as I fumbled around to get the shots through. I have been using the eyeFi app, and am using a direct mode connection only (no LAN). I should try the LAN, because it might be better on not dropping connections. I should also go check the eyefi website for their troubleshooting tips. If and when I do, I'll repost.

I agree that if this could be bug free, and faster, it is an $800 feature that doesn't bulk up the nice form factor of the 5dmkIII. Hoping we get there sooner rather than later.

I have not tried Shuttersnitch instead of the eyeFi app, though I'd think the network issues and speed would be identical....???

D

studiomk wrote:

--
John Cooper

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/

current kit: 5DmkIII, 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 6x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers, wft-E4II

also - I couldn't get the eyeFi to work in my mkII with an adapter - constant err messages. There is none of that with the mkIII. - no camera disabling problems, only the bugginess of wifi connections.
--
pro photo-illustration

current kit: 5DmkIII, 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 6x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers, wft-E4II

OP studiomk Regular Member • Posts: 209

Hi Dave,

Great to hear that you are having mopre joy with the eye-fi in the MKIII. I have both the Eye-Fi App and Shuttersnitch on my iPad. I prefer Shuttersnitch by far, and it keeps improving. To be honest I feel it is marginally faster and less buggy that the Eye-Fi App, but maybe that's just me?

It would definately benifit you shooting through your LAN whilst in the studio. It is faster and does not drop in and out as much, even on my MKII. I had planned to wait around 6 months anyway before looking to upgrade to the MKIII. One (the main reason) is so that hopefully the price will reduce down to 'normal' levels, and the other so any issues can be resolved prior to me joining the throng. In hindsight the later has proved to be the best reasoning. I was expecting purely firmware issues to be resolved, not basically a hardware recall for light leaks!

I will keep reading how you get on when tested on your LAN, possibly if you try Shuttersnitch as well. Many thanks to you Dave and everyone else for the update on your experiences so far.

Regards
--
John Cooper

OP studiomk Regular Member • Posts: 209

Meant to ask you Dave ifyou are finding much diference with the 5DMKIII? The high ISO cabability would of course always be handy on the odd occasion, but in practice the majority of my work is in the range of 50-800 ISO, (occasionally upto 2400 ISO) so output at 100-400 ISO is where I would like to see any improvements in image quality. From what I have heard in this range there is liottle to no difference!

Fot me the main reason to upgrade would be the AF, weather proofing, dual card (Eye-Fi).

Also will you be one of those sending your camera back for the 'Up Grade/Hardware adjustment' to prevent the light leak? I know it is not a major issue in practice, but it will effect resale values at a later date if you go to upgrade in the future.

Regards
--
John Cooper

Came back to update - I did find that Shuttersnitch was much less buggy - but tried to use the eyefi and shuttersnitch yesterday in a model shoot, and had to abandon it as a preview after it stalled on the 4th pic. I could restart it but turning iPad off and on again, but it kept -just- stopping. Using direct mode after testing on the LAN with not difference in speed. I'll try to figure out what the bug is, and have at it.... I just so want it to work.

While it was worthless to check focus and exposure immediately, it was great to show the model some of her shots, and work out new poses from those... just not working as a big-ole preview.

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration

studiomk wrote:

Meant to ask you Dave ifyou are finding much diference with the 5DMKIII? The high ISO cabability would of course always be handy on the odd occasion, but in practice the majority of my work is in the range of 50-800 ISO, (occasionally upto 2400 ISO) so output at 100-400 ISO is where I would like to see any improvements in image quality. From what I have heard in this range there is liottle to no difference!

I honestly haven't compared high iso because I don't use it much either. The came is so worth the upgrade for JUST the autofocus... so many more keepers.

Also will you be one of those sending your camera back for the 'Up Grade/Hardware adjustment' to prevent the light leak?

Haven't noticed the issue on my cam so far... if it becomes an issue, I'll go ahead and have Canon service it.

Cheers

d

Regards
--
John Cooper

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads