Digital Teleconverter feature on OM-D-Comments?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
dharma108 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,681
Digital Teleconverter feature on OM-D-Comments?

I am wondering if the OM-D processor can actually do what it says it can do below. This would be a breakthrough if can pull off a digital zoom and still maintain quality.

Got this from following link- http://www.olympus-imaging.co.in/products/dslr/em5/feature/05/

Digital Tele-converter

When assigned to the Fn1 button, the digital tele-converter function produces a telephoto effect which magnifies the center part of the image by two times. The excellent pixel interpolation performance of the TruePic VI image processor makes it possible to zoom while maintaining high image quality. Using this function allows a 75 - 300 mm super-telephoto lens to provide a zooming range equivalent to 1200 mm on 35 mm camera lenses, making it easy to achieve high magnification.

Normal shooting

Digital Teleconverter shooting

dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +28 more
msusic Senior Member • Posts: 2,576
Re: Digital Teleconverter feature on OM-D-Comments?

I think it's primarily intended for video.

As a matter of fact, here are 2 nice samples of that in action (handheld 1200mm EFL).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh311mIfinU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii59VHlbciI
--
Cheers,
Marin

goblin
goblin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,331

I believe that on the very first images coming from Asia on the first days after the EM5 was released this mode was switched on by mistake and the results were not very nice. This actually created a whole buzz in itself.

So I wouldn't hold my breath.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +62 more
Mark Chan Senior Member • Posts: 1,714

What the Digital Teleconverter does is crop the middle of the image and upscale the cropped part to the original file size.

In my experience - I shoot RAW and small JPEGS; using a 25mm f1.4, I get a jpeg just how I want it and the RAW with the surroundings in case I need to fix something.

So to answer your question, the OOC JPEG is basically an upscaled Crop image of the subject you took. When shooting in RAW/JPEG Mode you get the cropped JPEG and the UNCROPPED RAW.

I would rather have had the original scale but you can't have everything.

The digital teleconverter works in BOTH stills and video mode.

On the EP-3 it was relatively blurred due to the upscaling effect I suppose.

I would love to know whether the same holds for PANASONIC's version.

ohiobio Junior Member • Posts: 27

I have a Panasonic G2 which can do digital zoom at both 2X and 4X. I used it with an Olympus 14-150 lens on an African safari (along with a Sony 1.7X add-on telextender). Panasonic says they have a feature they call "extended zoom" which doesn't degrade image quality. What they really mean, since this feature only works if you use the 6MP setting on their 12MP camera, is that the image is pre-degraded by the user setting resolution to a lower level.

They do work. The 6MP images at 2X digital or extended zoom produced some very acceptable (at 8x10 print sizes) pictures. The few cases where I used 4X digital zoom produced (I rarely see leopards in Ohio, so a fuzzy, grainy image is better than none) yielded nothing worth bragging about. The full 12MP image (JPEG) gave me one pic of a hippo that I liked well enough to print at 16x20, and it looks great!.

Related note: the digital zoom on my old Fuji S6000fd superzoom mysteriously stopped working. Finally figured out that I had set the camera to record files in RAW format. Since digital zoom is just an in-camera crop, and RAW files are unedited, the two are incompatible.

Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,352

I have only tried it a few times - basically using the 12-50 lens - and while I cannot comment on how much better/worse the results will be vs a cropped RAW image (don't like Olympus Viewer and Apple has not updated Aperture/iPhoto for the EM5 yet - the results seemed pretty good. Not as good as having a longer lens, but it will work in a pinch.
Again, would compare it to cropping RAW later on.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +5 more
redfox5020 New Member • Posts: 2

I am a newbie to this camera, but after playing with the digital zoom I just quit using it. The images started to show the same effects as shooting at very high ISO settings at just about any setting I tried on the days I shot it. I don't remember the exact conditions but since I am seeing far different results than some folks I am beginning to wonder if I missed the boat somewhere.

Are there some conditions where the results would be dramatically worse? I usually just shoot at ISO 200 until low lighting forces me into something else, so I don't think ISO was the contributing factor.  Any tips as to why I am getting such poor results would be greatly appreciated, because otherwise the camera has been great (as long as  you don't count panoramic mode which is truly mystifying so far).

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846

redfox5020 wrote:

I am a newbie to this camera, but after playing with the digital zoom I just quit using it. The images started to show the same effects as shooting at very high ISO settings at just about any setting I tried on the days I shot it. I don't remember the exact conditions but since I am seeing far different results than some folks I am beginning to wonder if I missed the boat somewhere.

sounds like you've been using it for stills
it is for video, where reduced resolution isnt so, or if at all, apparent

Are there some conditions where the results would be dramatically worse? I usually just shoot at ISO 200 until low lighting forces me into something else, so I don't think ISO was the contributing factor. Any tips as to why I am getting such poor results would be greatly appreciated, because otherwise the camera has been great (as long as you don't count panoramic mode which is truly mystifying so far).

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Barry Stewart
Barry Stewart Veteran Member • Posts: 8,719
Daddyo likes it for stills

Greg had a post, with examples, a few weeks ago about it. Perhaps he'll drop by.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +10 more
Timewarp Regular Member • Posts: 100
Nice addition when you need more reach

I have frequently used the digital teleconverter in conjunction with the Panny 100-300 lens on my OM-D. I would only use in situations where I need more reach (e.g, wildlife photography) and know I would be cropping the image anyway. I have only used with still photos and I feel the results are quite satisfactory. I shoot in both RAW and JPEG, so I always have the "uncropped" RAW image to fall back on if needed. As far as I'm concerned, it's a no lose proposition.

You may find more discussion of this combination over on the Micro 4/3 Forum. Here is one such example: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50838736

Timewarp's gear list:Timewarp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +25 more
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,429
Dropping by...

Hey Barry:-)

First, I'm sure folks on this forum would like this moved to the MFT Forum, but I can't do that.

My thoughts on the Digital Teleconverter DTC function are that it is a very useful function for both stills and video -- contrary to what Riley says.

Obviously, digital zoom is never going to equal optical zoom, but the quality of the E-M5 sensor and the excellent Jpeg engine combine to create an image file that is very high quality -- if the DTC is used properly.

Four important factors are: Accurate focus, lack of camera movement, proper exposure, and avoidance of ISO's above 800.

When using the DTC I always try to use a tripod/monopod, unless the light very good -- since the effective focal length is doubled, any camera/lens movement is exaggerated. That said, I also will use it at higher ISO's hand held in professional situations where my client wants immediate turn around for website posting -- e.g. corporate conference shots in low light where I don't have the luxury of post processing.

Using the DTC allows in-camera composition/framing and simply saves all the extra work involved in post processing to arrive at an equivalent image. I have always preferred composing in the viewfinder as opposed to cropping in post, and the DTC allows me to do that. In addition, I am not at all convinced that I could arrive at a better quality image doing all the work in post processing -- at least not at normal viewing/print sizes.

Below are two shots done with the DTC that speak for themselves. The moon shot was done using the DTC with the MMF3 Adapter, the EC-14 TC, and the Bigma -- I actually had to back off from full zoom to get the whole moon in the frame! I was pretty impressed with this shot given all the things that would tend to degrade image quality versus an Optical FF equivalent of 2,380mm:-D

The Great Snowy Egret shot was done with the Oly m75-300mm at 300mm with the DTC.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Bob657 Senior Member • Posts: 3,062
Re: Dropping by...

No, those are for Four Thirds, not Micro Four Thirds.

-- hide signature --

Bob G
Visit my website at:
http://bobgreenberg9918.zenfolio.com

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +2 more
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,466

ohiobio wrote:

I have a Panasonic G2 which can do digital zoom at both 2X and 4X. I used it with an Olympus 14-150 lens on an African safari (along with a Sony 1.7X add-on telextender). Panasonic says they have a feature they call "extended zoom" which doesn't degrade image quality. What they really mean, since this feature only works if you use the 6MP setting on their 12MP camera, is that the image is pre-degraded by the user setting resolution to a lower level.

They do work. The 6MP images at 2X digital or extended zoom produced some very acceptable (at 8x10 print sizes) pictures. The few cases where I used 4X digital zoom produced (I rarely see leopards in Ohio, so a fuzzy, grainy image is better than none) yielded nothing worth bragging about. The full 12MP image (JPEG) gave me one pic of a hippo that I liked well enough to print at 16x20, and it looks great!.

One big difference with Panasonic cameras and Olympus here.  Olympus lets you use RAW+JPEG for anything and applies the selected 'effect', Art Filter, digital zoom, etc., only to the JPEG.  On Panasonic if you select an effects mode, RAW is disabled, or more precisely I believe they disable the effect when you are set to RAW mode shooting.

Related note: the digital zoom on my old Fuji S6000fd superzoom mysteriously stopped working. Finally figured out that I had set the camera to record files in RAW format. Since digital zoom is just an in-camera crop, and RAW files are unedited, the two are incompatible.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads