E-M5 firmware bugs, report them here

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
fivetonsflax Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Update May 10

Is there a preferred way of reporting a bug to Olympus? I am particularly vexed by being forced to EVF style 3 when disabling the eye sensor; and by the difficulty of using the EVF for image review.
--
Ben

SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666
EVF/Display interaction

I'm afraid I didn't really manage to digest the content of the previous 5 pages so apologies for repetition or misunderstanding. Every time I pick the camera up (4th day now) there seems to be some new oddity about its functioning - changes that I don't recall making directly... but.

The info/ok buttons in display mode switching confuse the hell out of me. I end up stabbing away at random until I get what I'm after (or give up). However I've noticed repeatedly that if, for example, I need to see the histogram in the evf (which I do, since the camera/12-50 lens consistently underexpose by up to 1 stop) I have to make it visible on the rear panel: it then appears in the EVF.

No amount of button stabbing whilst I'm looking into the evf will induce the histogram to appear. If I take the camera away from my eye and stab irritably at ok/info until the histogram appears on the rear display, there it is in the EVF. Maybe I'm not understanding the (to me) hideously non-intuitive behaviour but this can't be called a well designed interface.

And is there some mode (which I've never set) that enables shutter release by some method other than the shutter button (other than the timer)? Twice this evening the camera fired whilst I was handling it and massaging the "SCP".

Also the default file numbering setting permits creation of duplicate file numbers! This had me scratching my head after shooting some tests and reformatting the card. Potentially disastrous.
Roy

wanderenvy New Member • Posts: 13
Re: EVF/Display interaction

Hi,

There is a saying among product development managers - "if your customers want the rope to go hang themselves, don't ask why, just give it to them". In the case of the Olympus user interface, they not only do so, but sadistically make it the default option.

Great hardware product, absolutely lousy software interface.

Hopefully the hints below will help in a small way.

SeeRoy wrote:

I'm afraid I didn't really manage to digest the content of the previous 5 pages so apologies for repetition or misunderstanding. Every time I pick the camera up (4th day now) there seems to be some new oddity about its functioning - changes that I don't recall making directly... but.

The info/ok buttons in display mode switching confuse the hell out of me. I end up stabbing away at random until I get what I'm after (or give up). However I've noticed repeatedly that if, for example, I need to see the histogram in the evf (which I do, since the camera/12-50 lens consistently underexpose by up to 1 stop) I have to make it visible on the rear panel: it then appears in the EVF.

The user interface allows you to enable multiple control screens (where you can set parameters) and multiple info screens (where you get information).

a) If you press INFO repeatedly while shooting (without pressing OK), you will cycle through the different informational displays. One will show just the image, another will overlay the histogram, the next will show the level and so on.

b) Now if you had pressed OK first, you get the first control screen. There are 3 control screens available and you can have more than one enabled. This is completely redundant as sometimes they show the same content, but it is what it is. Pressing INFO now cycles you through the control screens (not the INFO screens).

Here's where the rope comes in. You can configure which control displays to cycle through separately for each mode on the dial ( P/A/S/M, iAuto, Art and Scene) It is extremely confusing to remember which you had configured for each mode, so I suspect most people just set them the same or cycle through options until they find what they need.

My recommendations -

1) Hit the MENU button, go down to the Gear menu and then to option D. Then under "control settings", enable the Live SCP option and disable others. Thats the only one you really need.

2) Back off one level by pressing MENU, then under "info settings", go to "LV-Info" and enable the info displays you want.

3) There is one more thing. In the Gear menu, go to option J for the built in EVF. Here you need to configure the INFO screens you want on the EVF. The settings under option D, only apply to the LCD.

4) Oh, by the way, to add more slack to the rope - if you don't see the Gear option when you hit MENU, go down to the Spanner option and hit the "Menu Display" option. You need to enable the Gear menu first. Why The F would someone need an option like that !

No amount of button stabbing whilst I'm looking into the evf will induce the histogram to appear. If I take the camera away from my eye and stab irritably at ok/info until the histogram appears on the rear display, there it is in the EVF. Maybe I'm not understanding the (to me) hideously non-intuitive behaviour but this can't be called a well designed interface.

I was yelling aaaaaargh before I figured it out.

And is there some mode (which I've never set) that enables shutter release by some method other than the shutter button (other than the timer)? Twice this evening the camera fired whilst I was handling it and massaging the "SCP".

Yes. The LCD is a touch screen. So if you have that enabled, touching it will result in a shutter action. Hit MENU, Gear, Option K Utility and then set "Touch Screen Settings" to OFF.

Or alternately, on the LCD, there is a green hand inside a square on the left edge. Touch it to change the touch control. Options are OFF, touch to focus and touch to click.

Also the default file numbering setting permits creation of duplicate file numbers! This had me scratching my head after shooting some tests and reformatting the card. Potentially disastrous.
Roy

I had not realized that. Good catch.

OP Jonas B Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596
Re: EVF/Display interaction

SeeRoy wrote:

I'm afraid I didn't really manage to digest the content of the previous 5 pages so apologies for repetition or misunderstanding

Hi,

If you use threaded view you would have no problems locating the last "Update" post. Then you wouldn't need to read everything, or force everybody to read your post.

(a lot of kind answers)

That's in the manual and works the same as my cameras from Panasonic, Pentax, Sony and Canon. Not reading the manual can always be potentially disastrous.

Jonas

(no text)

(this was a misplaced reply, sorry)

Re: Update May 10

fivetonsflax wrote:

Is there a preferred way of reporting a bug to Olympus? I am particularly vexed by being forced to EVF style 3 when disabling the eye sensor; and by the difficulty of using the EVF for image review.

Hi Ben,

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41465946

I don't know if it is the preferred way to do it but it seem to work. I would start to mail them asking for the right person or address when it comes to firmware bugs.

thank you,

Jonas

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,506
Here's how to report problems to Olympus

Jonas B wrote:

Here in Sweden I sent a mail to to the Olympus support helpdesk and after having got in touch with a guy I went on and asked for a contact about submitting firmware bugs.

I guess you can do the same in the US?
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_consumercontact.asp

and from there click your way until you get to the E-M5 and you'll get a form to fill in. Do so and ask for somebody interested in firmware suggestions.

I hope that will work, maybe there are better ways even?

Jonas, I am repeating your post and the link with a new subject line so that people can easily find it. It would probably be better if you did it as a reply to your OP so that it isn't buried though.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

nxp3 Regular Member • Posts: 365
Re: Camera locks up when reviewing image in the EVF

I can confirm this bug. I came in here to report this bug and saw this thread. Basically, I was trying to find a way in which I can quickly view pictures in the EVF. I found that I can use my index finger to press play and quickly follow up with the monitor button quickly right after the card finish writing. The picture would appear on the lcd but once switched over to evf it's blank. The camera stays dark for a couple of seconds and make some clicking noise like it's reseting and then display the picture back on the lcd. If I wait a few seconds after it finish writing after taking a picture, pressing play and switching to EVF quckly does not cause it to blank out the screen.
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

nxp3 Regular Member • Posts: 365
Not a firmware bug, but an issue, didn't want to create a new thread

Is the autofocus assist light dead center when looking through the evf? Mine seems to be slightly to the left and up (I turn the x grid on to check where it's illuminating)
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

wanderenvy New Member • Posts: 13
Re: E-M5 and PL 25

Update: I got a non-canned response from a human being at Olympus.

"We have received a couple of other calls and emails that sound similar to your situation. We have forwarded the information to the OM-D product manager so we can look into this more deeply. I will contact you as soon as I hear of any solution. "

Re: E-M5 and PL 25

wanderenvy wrote:

Update: I got a non-canned response from a human being at Olympus.

"We have received a couple of other calls and emails that sound similar to your situation. We have forwarded the information to the OM-D product manager so we can look into this more deeply. I will contact you as soon as I hear of any solution. "

Thank you for the update. I have the same combo and have yet to run into the situation you describe. Let's hope Olympus and Panasonic find a solution to the problem. I can easily imagine the frustration you must have felt!

Jonas

Richard Butler
Richard Butler dpreview Admin • Posts: 2,520
Re: E-M5 firmware bugs, report them here

Pedagydusz wrote:

I don´t have yet an OM-D. I just saw the preview review this afternoon, Richard Butler wrote that the Extended Tele feature does not work in video, it is for stills only.

I have no idea if it is or not feasible in firmware update, but since the Panasonic cameras do have it both ways, the Canon D60 does as well, I imagine that it would be feasible - and it can be very useful! For anybody intending to use the camera for Nature film, even as a side line, it can be a deal breaker!

It does work (I'm pretty sure it didn't when I first wrote about the camera).

Just to check - we're talking about the 2X 'Digital Teleconverter'?

If so, it is available in movie shooting.

Richard - dpreview.com

Richard Butler
Re: OIS not used for stills exposures...

kenw wrote:

Originally reported by me here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41298911

Basically in LV a Panasonic lens with an OIS switch can be turned on and OIS is in effect. However, when you actually click the shutter it appears the OIS is disabled or ineffective.

Reported to Olympus USA. They have responded and asked with lens I used (14-45) but I've not heard further from them as yet.

I've just done a series of tests with the 12-35mm F2.8 (the first Panasonic lens with an OIS switch that I could lay my hands on), and I'm getting better results with OIS on than off, every time.

I've tried changing the IS with half-press setting and I still get the same result. OIS produces consistently sharp shots at 1/13th, OIS off doesn't.

Richard - dpreview.com

kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,359
Re: OIS not used for stills exposures...

Excellent, thanks so much for following up Richard.

I need to try it out on my 45-200 and see what it does as well. Someone tried a 100-300 with mixed results.

So it would seem, at least based on the 12-35mm that it is only certain lenses.

While you are looking at this thread, have you been able to reproduce the no IBIS with legacy lenses in video mode? A lot of folks have reproduced this problem and it would be a nice one to elevate up to Olympus.

R Butler wrote:

I've just done a series of tests with the 12-35mm F2.8 (the first Panasonic lens with an OIS switch that I could lay my hands on), and I'm getting better results with OIS on than off, every time.

I've tried changing the IS with half-press setting and I still get the same result. OIS produces consistently sharp shots at 1/13th, OIS off doesn't.

Richard - dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,359
OIS - Can no longer reproduce!!!

Hi Richard,

Just to let you know. I just tried this with the 45-200 at 45 at around 1/10 and clearly the OIS functions during exposure just fine.

With that in mind I then decided to retest my 14-45 at 45 at around 1/10. Result is that OIS clearly now works with the 14-45 as well.

I have no idea what might have changed. Lens and camera firmware are still the same. Despite that in a previous test (linked to earlier) I could clearly demonstrate weird behavior with the 14-45 OIS. Now it appears normal.

Hard to say now if there was some unusual error or configuration at the time of my last test or just some sort of horrible user error. What is strange was that in my past test I used the 14-45 on both the E-M5 and GH2 repeatedly to check what was going on.

Color me confused, but if I can't reproduce the result I really can't expect anyone else to either!

Thanks for checking this out, and provoking me to get off my duff and do some more testing.
--
Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,506
I hope Olympus bean counters don't make the decision

Henry Richardson wrote:

I hope Olympus is working on a firmware update to fix bugs and maybe improve some of the strange choices that make things more difficult than necessary (according to many of the posts I have seen). After all, the E-M5 is their flagship camera. Does Olympus have much of a history of doing this? I am hoping to have an E-M5 within a month or so and it would be nice if some of the problems were fixed by then or soon thereafter.

I took a look at the Olympus PEN firmware updates and it seems that it was only rather minor things that got added/fixed:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_downloads.asp?id=102

Maybe those 7 bodies didn't have as many problems as the E-M5 or maybe Olympus just didn't fix them. Is this a sign of what to expect with regards to an E-M5 firmware update?

I hope Olympus really steps up to the plate and does some serious firmware work and releases an update soon. I figure with the success of the E-M5 it depends a whole lot on whether the bean counters are making the decisions or if others are. If the bean counters decide then I think we can expect that little will get fixed since Olympus is selling all they can make right now so they probably don't see much of an upside to spending money to fix firmware problems. I hope others in the company who are more concerned with having a great reputation and having high quality will get the deciding vote though.

By the way, the latest word is that my E-M5 + FL-300R flash is to be shipped tomorrow! I've got my fingers crossed that it really gets shipped. I have all of my 6 new m4/3 lenses here with me now and I am anxious to try them on the E-M5. I have used them some on the G3, but it doesn't have IBIS so 4 of them would benefit from it.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Richard Butler
Re: OIS - Can no longer reproduce!!!

kenw wrote:

Thanks for checking this out, and provoking me to get off my duff and do some more testing.

No problem. Welcome to the fun part of camera testing (can you imagine how frustrating it is when we hit something like this - we have to be very certain before we make any comment publicly).

I've not had a chance to try legacy lenses out in video, I'm afraid and I'm not sure I will. I'll mention it to Olympus next time we speak, though.

Richard - dpreview.com

fooddudeone Regular Member • Posts: 243
First #1 FW Fix = IBIS Video Mode for Adapted/Non-Native Lenses

FIX the IBIS in Video-Mode for adapted/legacy/non-native lenses!

If they're trying to disable it to up sales for their native lenses, commercially/marketing speaking, it doesn't make sense either...because no one will want to buy the Body in the first place. AND, bodies cost 2-3 times more than their lenses.

Cmon olympus! Don't tell me you're going to make an awesome camera, that even looks like a Vintage MF camera, and then not even allow it to fully work with Real Vintage MF lenses. Can't even use your own company's old Legacy lenses.

From a commercial/marketing standpoint, it's better to fully enable the IBIS in Vid for MF lenses...that way more people will buy the lenses, and heck, maybe even convert the MF lens heads to even buy their newer m.zuiko lenses.

But we need to buy the Body first Olympus! How can we even buy the m.zuiko lenses if we don't have a body, or don't want to buy the body because it doesn't work with our beloved MF glass??

This should be the First and most important fix.

Re: First #1 FW Fix = IBIS Video Mode for Adapted/Non-Native Lenses

Bump for firmware fix, for IBIS in Video-Mode for adapted/non-native lenses.

Re: First #1 FW Fix = IBIS Video Mode for Adapted/Non-Native Lenses

I just sent Olympus a message. I requested for a firmware update for the following:

1 (priority) IBIS to work in video-mode for non-native adapted lenses
2. 24p video
3. Higher bit-rate video

Here's the link:
https://support.olympus.co.jp/.../en/contact/index.cfm?consumer=ProDigitalSLR

If you guys can send them a message too, for IBIS to work in video-mode with non-native lenses, that would be great!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads