Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC review

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
Jan Madsen Senior Member • Posts: 2,398
Re: Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC review

Legion5 wrote:

I was prepared for this lens to dissapoint, but I think it has the worst bokeh I've ever seen in any lens .

It's not just bad - it's absolutely inexcusable. What were they thinking?

With that said it appears that the lens has very decent bokeh at 70mm, but below 60mm it goes bad. If you look at the samples towards the 70mm range the bokeh is nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscar210/6952579478/sizes/o/in/photostream/

This of course makes the lens completely useless because there are plenty of very nice 70mm f/2.8 VC/IS lenses.

I wanted this lens to be my low light walk around lens and was prepared to accept sub-par sharpness. What they've created instead is a product where if I showed it's results to my clients I would genuinely fear be sued for incompetence. The bokeh issues are clearly visible at 1080p in some cases.

Can you point to an example of this bad bokeh? Images in the test look fine to me.

-- hide signature --

• Jan

Legion5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047

Here's a crop from another photo in that flickr photostream. The image with the green background is the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L for comparison.

This isn't a "worst case" scenario sample but a typical example of the issue.

Jan Madsen wrote:

Legion5 wrote:

I was prepared for this lens to dissapoint, but I think it has the worst bokeh I've ever seen in any lens .

It's not just bad - it's absolutely inexcusable. What were they thinking?

With that said it appears that the lens has very decent bokeh at 70mm, but below 60mm it goes bad. If you look at the samples towards the 70mm range the bokeh is nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscar210/6952579478/sizes/o/in/photostream/

This of course makes the lens completely useless because there are plenty of very nice 70mm f/2.8 VC/IS lenses.

I wanted this lens to be my low light walk around lens and was prepared to accept sub-par sharpness. What they've created instead is a product where if I showed it's results to my clients I would genuinely fear be sued for incompetence. The bokeh issues are clearly visible at 1080p in some cases.

Can you point to an example of this bad bokeh? Images in the test look fine to me.

Jan Madsen Senior Member • Posts: 2,398

Legion5 wrote:

Here's a crop from another photo in that flickr photostream. The image with the green background is the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L for comparison.

That is two images from different places, you can't compare that. Bokeh is a very subjective thing, comparing images this way is silly.

By the way, the image in the Tamron review with "onion" bokeh was taken with water droplets on the lens, as described by the tester, this will cause strange fenomena.

To compare bokeh ebtween two lenses they must image the same subject at identical apertures.

-- hide signature --

• Jan

Legion5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047

Jan Madsen wrote:

Legion5 wrote:

That is two images from different places, you can't compare that. Bokeh is a very subjective thing, comparing images this way is silly.

By the way, the image in the Tamron review with "onion" bokeh was taken with water droplets on the lens, as described by the tester, this will cause strange fenomena.

To compare bokeh ebtween two lenses they must image the same subject at identical apertures.

Well on some level to some people it may be silly but both of those images are very typical examples of what the out of focus highlights look like when they aren't overexposed. I've seen well over 50 images from the Tamron lens by now and almost ALL the out of focus highlights are rendered like that.

The Tamron shows busy haloed and onion bokeh consistently.

Lordsegan Regular Member • Posts: 160

I'm sorry to say that the test shots I took show that this lens is not sharp enough for critical work:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=41361549

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Your test shots don't look like it was done on a tripod. Worst yet it looks clearly evident that the Tamron shot has a slight angle showing DOF fall off on the left, sharpness on the right. That or it is decentered, but given that the images are not even lined up it looks more like they were hand-held ad hoc shots that can't be used to determined sharpness. Look how the Tamron gets sharper on the right side of the frame but softer on the left...center isn't as sharp either since it focused on the right side of the frame.

Also the Tamron was shot at 1/4000 vs the Canon's 1/3200. If shot at close to the same time-frame and lighting, it is the Tamron that is a slightly more transmissive lens which counteracts in part some of its strong vignetting since it may be a 'faster' lens overall. Finally throw in the fact that IS/VC enabled at high shutter speeds holds no advantage if not possibly a disadvantage in IQ if you didn't let the IS settle, etc (but clearly as shown by what is in focus on the right side may not make a big difference).

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

These are crops. I cropped very poorly.

They were shot on a tripod. They were shot with AF and with MF, at two apetures.

I also shot with a 24-105. And I shot without a tripod with a second Tamron.

The results were all consistent.

The Tamrons were much less sharp.

Sorry. Maybe it was a bad batch or a bad shipment. I donno. I will check with the dealer again in a few weeks to see if he has another shipment.

Actually just to make you happy I will post full crops later.

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
What area did you crop?

And was this cropped area same for both Canon and Tamron? Why such a significant change in subject position between lens?

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
aperture2012 New Member • Posts: 1

I just got this lens earlier today, so I've only had it for half a day however i am extremely impressed with this lens. It is tack sharp, the colors it produces are amazing! It's a solid piece of glass and i would confidently say that the IQ has to be right on par with the Canon 24-70 mark ii.

It easily beats out the old 24-70 hands down. I don't know if having the 5d mark iii has anything to do with it but none the less i'm very pleased with the bargain this lens is.

I just bought a third copy of the lens.

It will arrive in a couple days and I will let you freaks know what I think then.

wallybarthman Regular Member • Posts: 360

Two sets of images:

These were some hand-held shots I did with my ISO 12233 test chart I was basically using them for testing VC but they'll give you some idea of the sharpness.

I've also posted some test shots on Flickr. The downside to these is that I shot them on my 7D so they don't show the true edge sharpness. I also took some with my 1D Mk II that I'll post today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallybarthman/sets/72157629944009261/with/7133502505/

All in all - I'm quite impressed.

wallybarthman's gear list:wallybarthman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +10 more
D a v e Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Timbukto wrote:

Very bright bokeh highlights shows onioning but that is common for fast zooms actually and can easily be photo-shopped.

This may well be true, but I have never seen this before and it was immediately apparent to me in the close up shot of the man in the hat.

Who wants to waste time photo-shopping that out? Seriously. If this can't be fixed this is show shopper.

It is a bummer because I really wanted a VC Zoom lens in this range and apeture.

-- hide signature --

Dave

D a v e's gear list:D a v e's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
WGamache New Member • Posts: 7

This lens arrived this past week in the store where I work. I spent some time playing and testing in store, then took it out over the weekend to run it through some real-world paces. Distant subjects, closeups, street photography, kids playing, variety of light sources. Excellent image quality throughout, and a couple of shots rescued by the VC. Going to make the purchase today, put my old Canon version up for sale.

Just my nickel! (I'd say 'my two cents' but the penny's being phased out in Canada.)

-- hide signature --

I'd like to meet the editor who'd have rejected the Saigon execution photo because he found the bokeh to be oniony.

Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,395

WGamache wrote:

This lens arrived this past week in the store where I work. I spent some time playing and testing in store, then took it out over the weekend to run it through some real-world paces. Distant subjects, closeups, street photography, kids playing, variety of light sources. Excellent image quality throughout, and a couple of shots rescued by the VC. Going to make the purchase today, put my old Canon version up for sale.

Just my nickel! (I'd say 'my two cents' but the penny's being phased out in Canada.)

very nice! I am waiting for a Nikon version to arrive to stores.

How is AF in Low Light, and in general, a speed of AF? Tamron's USM on their only 2 lenses with Ring AF (70-300 and 18-270 Piezo) are kinda slow in comparison with Canon Ring Autofocusing, so I was wondering if Tamron finally figured out how to make a real USM

-- hide signature --

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R III +22 more
WGamache New Member • Posts: 7

No complaints about AF speed. I was shooting a couple of kids playing in a bubble bath and it kept up with them OK. Yesterday I was shooting the aftermath of a traffic accident, and again, it kept up with the EMTs darting hither and yon.

Probably the Canon's faster, but I'm guessing its something that'd be expressed in milliseconds. No big whoop.

-- hide signature --

I'd like to meet the editor who'd have rejected the Saigon execution photo because he found the bokeh to be oniony.

pmazolo Regular Member • Posts: 108

I bought the Tamron 24-70 VC because of the image stabilizer and mostly with the purpose of using it for video filming. I compared it to my Canon 24-70 and made a quick review with the results.
I put up some example pictures comparing the bokeh of both lenses... subtle difference but the Tamron's onion bokeh is quite annoying I think: http://www.fotograf-stockholm.nu/tamron-24-70-vc-vs-canon-24-70-for-stills-and-video-filming-image-stabilization-and-bokeh-test/
Anyways, for that price it's a good lense when you factor in the image stabilizer.

-- hide signature --

Petter Magnusson
Photographer in Sweden- Fotograf i Stockholm
http://www.fotograf.pettermagnusson.se

dave_bass5
dave_bass5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,126

Ive just noticed an issue with my month old Tamron 24-70. When the VC engages and AF is achieved the image seems to jump to the left in the VF, and a higher % of shots with VC on are quite soft.

Its even more pronounced on my 60D, and on that camera  all the shots seem soft compared to my other lenses.

Im very disappointed in this and will be getting it exchanged (hopefully).

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 +10 more
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

Yeah, the reported onion bokeh and AF speed problems are what drove me away from the Tamron.  Have you had a chance to try the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II?  Might be worth renting to see if you like it.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Dinsy Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: bokeh

Fascinating! Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads