80 mega pixels. Wow!!

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
Alvin Nunley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,305
80 mega pixels. Wow!!

Who makes software and hardware to handle something like that? Can they still use a PC? What kind of printer? What kind of storage card? I didn't read the whole article so some of these question may have already been answered.

In any case, at $39,000 for the back, and adding in all the processing equipment, this has got to be one big investment.
How many readers do you think are here that have any interest in this thing.
--
Taking pictures is easy, making them art is hard. (al nunley)
Try not, Do, or Do Not. (yoda)

Alvin Nunley's gear list:Alvin Nunley's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX520
MisterPootieCat
MisterPootieCat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123
$40,000! Wow!

Alvin Nunley wrote:

Interest? Maybe. The better question is how many people will actually buy it.

BTW: $40,000 just gets you a digital back.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +24 more
tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Re: 80 mega pixels. Wow!!

Alvin Nunley wrote:

Who makes software and hardware to handle something like that? Can they still use a PC? What kind of printer? What kind of storage card? I didn't read the whole article so some of these question may have already been answered.

In any case, at $39,000 for the back, and adding in all the processing equipment, this has got to be one big investment.
--

If I had an extra $39,000 I didn't need, I'd buy one. Take a look at this camera, 200 MP.

Hasselblad 200 megapixel H4D-200MS camera:
http://www.gizmag.com/hasselblad-ships-h4d200ms-200-megapixel-camera/18747/

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

keane_
keane_ Regular Member • Posts: 387

80MP is 10328 by 7760, well within Photoshop's max resolution. You don't need any special equipment whatsoever, apart from a well-specced computer if you want it to render well.

keane_
keane_ Regular Member • Posts: 387
...and incase you were wondering...

Photoshop will handle files up to 300,000 x 300,000px.

paulbysea Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Re: ...and incase you were wondering...

With Nikon's sudden about turn following the recent decision to go for massive mega pixel counts I don't expect it will be long till we see a 4/3 camera from them that exceeds photoshop's maximum image size!!

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650

Alvin Nunley wrote:

Who makes software and hardware to handle something like that? Can they still use a PC? What kind of printer? What kind of storage card?

5 years ago when 1Ds3 was out, a lot of pros bought it and i dont think anyone complained about storage space or processing speed.

mid-range photography machines in 2007 typically had 3.0 Ghz dual core (AMD 6000+) and about 2GB ram.

today, when buying mid-range photography machine, you would get 4 pieces of 4gb DDR3 for just under 100 USD and the new quad core 8 thread intel i7 3770K for 313 USD.

basically processing speed has more than quadrupled, so handing images 4 times the resolution should be no problem.

Faintandfuzzy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,328
Old news

The IQ180 is basically the same back. It has been out for a good year or more. The $40,000 price tag isn't much different than the old 40mp Hassey that was out a half decade ago.

As to image quality? I viewed a couple of prints taken by Rodney Lough at his San Francisco gallery. One of the IQ180 prints was printed about 11 feet wide or so. It held up every bit as well as a sheet of 8x10 film. It makes the D800 look like a toy in comparison.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus E-10 Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Silverwind Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

Dang right on that!!

Can't imagine the file size on an 80MEg RAW file. My 18MEG Raw 7D files are between 20mb and 26mg depending on ISO and such.

You would need lots and lots of memory and HD space.

keane_ wrote:

You don't need any special equipment whatsoever, apart from a well-specced computer if you want it to render well.

rdspear Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487
Target

I doubt the typical dpr reader is the target audience for this type of product.

And I suspect those in the target audience that do purchase this body have more than enough computing resources ( and associated staff) to handle the byproducts. I doubt Annie Leibovitz is slaving over a card reader and worrying about freeing up disk space.

rdspear's gear list:rdspear's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +19 more
AShimon Contributing Member • Posts: 797

paulbysea wrote:

With Nikon's sudden about turn following the recent decision to go for massive mega pixel counts I don't expect it will be long till we see a 4/3 camera from them that exceeds photoshop's maximum image size!!

Unlikely that we'll see an 87.9 Gigapixel (87,890.625 Megapixel) camera before Adobe gets the chance to design a new photoshop.

Canonero Regular Member • Posts: 423
Normal PC, normal storage and a good printer

Symple like this. This kind of resolution is NOT to shoot at 10fps sports.

lost_in_utah Regular Member • Posts: 458
Re: Normal PC, normal storage and a good printer

What about cat pictures?

Scott Eaton Senior Member • Posts: 2,217
Ha Ha

Good one

Sigma shooters will say say the SD-1 has better resolution.

OP Alvin Nunley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,305
What if?

We took a 35mm size slice of that sensor, what would the pixel count be.

-- hide signature --

Alvin Nunley's gear list:Alvin Nunley's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX520
tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Re: What if?

Alvin Nunley wrote:

We took a 35mm size slice of that sensor, what would the pixel count be.

-- hide signature --

The Leaf Aptus II 80 MP sensor measures 53.7mm x 40.3mm
The 35mm sensor is 36mm x 24mm
The Canon APS-C is 22.2mm x 14.8mm
--
Tymevest

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

Silverwind wrote:

Can't imagine the file size on an 80MEg RAW file. My 18MEG Raw 7D files are between 20mb and 26mg depending on ISO and such.

Why imagine? Math says 89 to 115MB. That's about 300 shots per 32GB card and about 9K images will fit on a 1TB drive.

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940

What Nikon massive mega pixel counts? The new Nokia phone has 41MP sensor.

paulbysea wrote:

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Brian Hedrick Regular Member • Posts: 135

I have created many pictures well over 80 MP by stitching together multiple photos and the computer and photoshop have no problem handling them. Over 120 MP or so, the computer starts to be noticeably slower though. I would think that a camera at this resolution is only practical for very specialized photography. My 8 MP 20D still takes great photos and is suitable for 99% of what a want to do. I can usually handle the other 1% by stitching together multiple photos.

Brian Hedrick's gear list:Brian Hedrick's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Brian Hedrick Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: What if?

If my math is right:

The Leaf Aptus II 80 MP sensor measures 53.7mm x 40.3mm
The 35mm sensor is 36mm x 24mm = 31.9 MP
The Canon APS-C is 22.2mm x 14.8mm = 12.14 MP

Brian Hedrick's gear list:Brian Hedrick's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads