best hiking backpack?

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
parann New Member • Posts: 17
best hiking backpack?

best pack for a day trip with 1body+ 2 lenses + room for softshell\rainwear + water blader

thanks

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,197
Re: best hiking backpack?

I've always used a Lumbar Pack (fanny pack) for day hikes. I carry the camera around my neck so I don't have to dig it out--a sure way to miss photo ops. I carry a couple of water bottles, or one water bottle and put a lens in the second empty water bottle slot.

Since I carry a water filter pump, food, emergency gear, etc., I'm good for a full day's hiking. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Recycled-Lumbar-Heritage-Black/dp/B001RYSIU2/ref=sr_1_28?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1332967161&sr=1-28

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
rashoop Regular Member • Posts: 230

I just went through the search as well, trying to find a bag that is doesn't compromise the functionality of a hiking pack too much. My wife and I are headed to Yosemite for a week of camping, hiking and photography. For a 14 mile hike we'll be doing (4,000' feet of climbing in the first 4 miles), I will need something with space for foul weather gear, first-aid, food and lots of water. Having my D7000 (fingers crossed that I get it in time) will be nice, so in many ways, the camera will be secondary (I bought a Lumix DMC-LX5 so I'd at least have a decent image-capturing-tool for situations where I may not be able to bring the big rig).

I decided to check REI to see what "serious" gear they may have, and found one that looks like the ticket: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW. It has sufficient space for camera gear, as well as sufficient hiking gear space. There's also an area for a water bladder insert (which can double as a slot for carrying a tablet or small laptop).

If orange ain't your thing, Lowepro also makes it in black (actually, the one I went with).

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Photo-Sport-200-AW,2271,14.htm

And a video that's sort of funny, and gives a great view of how to use the pack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0P1RPqhKw
--
Bob

rashoop's gear list:rashoop's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
David Barron New Member • Posts: 9

I can't wait to hear how the Photo Sport works out for you. I'm looking for something similiar that can do double duty as my daily carry bag as well as for some mountain day-hiking in Colorado this summer. I'll be interested to hear how it handles with a longer lens attached. (In my case, it'll be a 70-200 f/4)

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,197

Love it! My wife and I are headed back to Yosemite for 10 days in June.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
mspringer Forum Member • Posts: 67

You might also want to check out the F-stop bags.

http://fstopgear.com/

Marty

kcdude24 New Member • Posts: 12

I use an Osprey Manta 30 M/L pack with a 3L hydration bladder and a Click Elite small camera capsule that fits perfectly in the bottom of the pack. Holds my 5d mkIII w 70-200 f2.8 IS lens attached with the hood reversed. Still have room for lunch, rain jacket and accessories. $150-160 and extremely versatile.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/small-camera-capsule/

http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-034830-345-Manta-30-Daypack/dp/B002N4PAGU

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084
Re: best hiking backpack? Torso bag

Mountainsmith and Kata both make torso bags that will carry well. Keeps the camera weight off your neck.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/CameraBags/PRD~5027-260/mountainsmith-descent-at-camera-bag.jsp

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
OP parann New Member • Posts: 17

hi,

could you post some photos of the bag it the mountains (in action)?

please tell what you put insaid it and how easy was it to take out the camera quickly.

thanks alot

rashoop Regular Member • Posts: 230

The Photo Sport 200AW worked quite good. My impression is that it is equally a hiking backpack as it is a camera bag. The upper, top-loading, general-use compartment was plenty big to carry a quart of water (with an additional pint in the side bottle holder... do note that there is a place for a Camelbak-like bladder - it's just not something I've ever used, and that slot will get used to store my iPad), rain jacket, first aid kit, lunch, snacks, etc. Loads of room in there. As with most top loaders, not the most convenient to get to stuff, but it's fine.

For the lower section, there was VERY protective room for my D7000 with an 18-200 lens, along with ample extra room that I just ended up using for filters (in their original bulky plastic cases). Access to the camera is from the side, and it's fairly convenient.

The waistbelt has two additional zippered pockets where I stored an extra battery and remote, keys and odds and ends. Super convenient there. I also slipped a case that stored my Lumix LX5 onto the belt. That was super convenient for taking quick shots. Got a Swiss Gear case that is fantastic for the LX5. All it has room for is the camera and an extra battery. Lean, efficient and no extra bulk. Got it here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Swiss+Gear+-+Jasper+Small+Camera+Case+-+Black/2712776.p?id=1218346632062&skuId=2712776 .

The one detail I'm going to need to figure out is how to strap a tripod to the back of the pack. I fashioned a strap that worked okay, but I want to get something more secure. There are a couple straps on the bottom/base of the bag, but I just didn't care for that setup.

On one of our longer walks, we headed down the "Mist Trail". I knew what we were in for as the trail descended below Nevada Falls, so I pulled out the rain cover from the base of the bag, and snugged it around the bag. Worked great in what was HEAVY mist being blown at us from all sides... the rain cover was absolutely up to the task. I did have to remove the monopod I had strapped on the back though. The cover is too form-fitting to keep it underneath.

Overall, I'm happy with the Lowepro. The pack itself feels as good as the best non-camera daypack I've got (Deuter suspension pack): secure, comfortable, good weight distribution, etc. My only gripe would be the tripod mount, but I've got a strap solution that will make that a non-issue. All the way around, a great multi-purpose pack for avid hikers, cyclists, skiers, etc. Good going Lowepro!

-- hide signature --

Bob

rashoop's gear list:rashoop's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
jfk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,045
Re: Feedback: Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW

I really wanted to like the Lowepro photosport aw200. Looked like the right size for a great daypack/travelpack. Try as I did, I was not able to arrange the camera section to hold my D7K w16-85 and add another lens. Just trying to arrange things to get my camera to fit was almost futile...probably due to the attached L-bracket.
jfk

seeingclearly Junior Member • Posts: 44

I can't believe that this thread didn't do more about the Lowepro Photosport 200 AW. I bought this just before going to Spain and Portugal for two months, mostly walking and on public transport. This was one of the best and most enjoyable backpacks I have used. In its favour are: it is light; narrow; has very easy side access to the camera (Canon 7D with 17-55 F2.8); room to put in my Canon 10-22 mm; room for glasses case, light rain jacket; keys and wallet and passport; large water bottle in side pocket; and other small bits and pieces. AND, there is room in the space set aside for the bladder to comfortably fit an iPad or something a bit larger. I even fitted a small travle tripod inside the main compartment, because Lowepro have cleverly left one side open all the way to the base past the camera section.

I was taking the camera out and putting it back in several dozen times a day - for security and just the comfort or carrying it. It was so quick and easy to get out of the pack that I rarely missed anything.

I also used the rain cover, and it appears to work well. The bag didn't get wet except on the shoulder straps.

One small change I made to the bag was to fit metal zip tags so that I could put on a small lock when traveling. If I was Lowepro, I would have made the bladder zip full length down one side, to make it easier to fit small note books or pads.

twan Senior Member • Posts: 2,370

This one looks great........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1L3-QAHzbg

twan's gear list:twan's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads