NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
Nuwanda Mugabe Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: So, an IR wireless alternative then?

Thanks little al,

I have seen that article before but all the same thank you very much, you are very kind. I was interested to know how original poster solved the problem. Btw cacatus v5 looks like good stuff for vivitars but maybe little expensive 70 dolars for pair.

Bye

Nuwanda Mugabe Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: So, an IR wireless alternative then?

Aaa, thank you tbyork.2010 mine are japanese two 135 volts and one 250 so I am coooked ;). Waein safe sync is pretty expensive considering how much I pay flashes, yust like vp-1 varipower. Looks like I am heading to the DIY waters.

Thanks bye

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

John Bean (UK) wrote:

wll wrote:

I have electronic first curtain on and a shutter speed of 250 is a no go. I'll check later to see if 250 can be used if electronic first curtain is turned off.

I wouldn't expect that to work, the NEX has a maximum flash sync of 1/160. It's down to the speed of the shutter curtain and doesn't matter whether the first curtain is electronic or not, the speed is the same.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John, your right, I tried it out and it doesn't matter if first curtain is on or off.

wll

fabianbono
fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

wll wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

wll wrote:

I have electronic first curtain on and a shutter speed of 250 is a no go. I'll check later to see if 250 can be used if electronic first curtain is turned off.

I wouldn't expect that to work, the NEX has a maximum flash sync of 1/160. It's down to the speed of the shutter curtain and doesn't matter whether the first curtain is electronic or not, the speed is the same.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John, your right, I tried it out and it doesn't matter if first curtain is on or off.

wll

But any way, with this shoe, or my mod, the max speed is 1/250. Already tested.
--
Fabian Bono
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabianbono/show/

 fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

fabianbono wrote:

wll wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

wll wrote:

I have electronic first curtain on and a shutter speed of 250 is a no go. I'll check later to see if 250 can be used if electronic first curtain is turned off.

I wouldn't expect that to work, the NEX has a maximum flash sync of 1/160. It's down to the speed of the shutter curtain and doesn't matter whether the first curtain is electronic or not, the speed is the same.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John, your right, I tried it out and it doesn't matter if first curtain is on or off.

wll

But any way, with this shoe, or my mod, the max speed is 1/250. Already tested.

The camera normally restricts you to 1/160 for a reason, and that reason doesn't change just because the camera is unaware that a flash is connected.

There are many situations when a higher shutter speed may work with faster shutter speeds, depending on either the flash having a duration of longer than 1/160 (which will always fully illuminate the frame no matter what the shutter speed) or luck. 1/160 is a "safe" maximum sync speed choice by Sony, it works with any flash duration. On the other hand 1/250 may or may not work depending on factors not within the control of the camera.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

 John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
AdrianGray Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

A question for people who have it:

How troublesome is the lack of screen brightening for focusing and using peaking? Especially in low light? How easy is it to focus with Live View Display on or off (turning it off will brighten the LCD, but not try to show you the exposure of your settings)?

Thanks.

John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

AdrianGray wrote:

How troublesome is the lack of screen brightening for focusing and using peaking? Especially in low light? How easy is it to focus with Live View Display on or off (turning it off will brighten the LCD, but not try to show you the exposure of your settings)?

When you're using flash the live view display is never showing you the effect of your settings, which is why the camera disables it when it detects a flash. Disabling live view display manually will have the same benefits, but AFAIK only the NEX-5N will allow this and NEX-C3/5/3 users will have to find a different solution.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

 John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: For this searobbery price

Knallberto wrote:

IT'S TRASH !

Things world doesn't need ...

Little Sony kit flash triggers EACH big flash!

Very thoughtful post from you as usual.

wll

Potemkin_Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

So this is ONLY for the 5N? Why? Is the C3 hotshoe different somehow?

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

So this is ONLY for the 5N? Why? Is the C3 hot shoe different somehow?

I think the C3 is fine, it is the NEX 3 that can't use the adapter I believe.

wll

John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

So this is ONLY for the 5N? Why? Is the C3 hotshoe different somehow?

That wasn't what I wrote. It should work on any shoeless NEX but my reply was about disabling "live view display" to make the display ignore camera settings and show a bright image - which all NEX cameras do automatically when a flash is detected but only the 5N allows the user to do this manually, which is what is needed since the camera doesn't know a flash is attached when using the adapter.

For that reason it will be hard in practice to use this adapter on a camera other than the 5N.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

 John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads