NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: No difference in my LCD display (NEX 5N)

electronbee wrote:

Could be that the Sony screw is machined vice the Shadow screw is rolled. I have a tap and die set and I'll run a die over it.

Very few people know the difference between a machined vs rolled screw thread, good catch.

As a manufacturer it is nice to see folks know about manufacturing processes ;- )

wll

AdrianGray Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: Live View Display

I'd also like to know the answer to this question... What exactly do the Live View Display modes do? The manual is vague.

Here's the test for someone with the adapter: in dim light, take 3 pictures:

1. No adapter, with the camera flash up

2. With the adapter and a speedlight, Live View Display On

3. With the adapter and a speedlight, Live View Display Off

And compare how the focusing and screen brightness behaves (when looking in the LCD, when the shutter is half-pressed, and the final result). Live View Display Off might be usable for focusing with the adapter... the only problem is that you'll have to do a lot of chimping for exposure and WB.

M P O wrote:

Hi,

If you turn off 'Live View Display' in the settings menu does that help with the dim LCD while focussing problem?

RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
am working out flash mod alternative with fabianbono

Since the NexProShop thing costs $80 dollars, and a whole Nex flash is only $40 dollars, and a Yongnuo RF603 remote flash transmitter is only $20 dollars, am working with fabianbono

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41595167

on a labor-intensive (but kind of interesting) modification that will turn the tiny Nex flash into a tiny, non-flashing radio remote flash trigger. That will activate Nex viewfinder magnification just as if a flash was attached . Mainly because a flash will be attached, it just won't itself put out light any more.

TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,583
Re: Tiago, flash mod is looking good

This was so close, but they missed it. I know some people will find this useful, but they solved a problem adding another worst problem. They posted in facebook a video:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150842132466947

See the second try. It is so dim that you can hardly see what is on the screen. Worst, the nex shows the green big box, that all here knows what it means, couldn't focus correctly.

I understand that you may want to fix the delay problem, but fixing this by not being able to focus was the wrong fix. In some conditions this would work. If the ambient light is enough, but if it is not, this wont. Really a missed opportunity, and I hope someone sees this soon, and understands it.

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

It's a pity, was really looking forward to getting a tidy solution, but this nexProShop thing won't even brighten the viewfinder.

Now fabianobono's work is looking more relevant.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41568077

The modifications are certainly inexpensive. Have the impression you get flash sync without flash, and with a bright viewfinder. To be examined further.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
electronbee Contributing Member • Posts: 668
Modes of PASM made no difference

ISO changes made no difference
Indoor/Outdoor modes made no difference
Aperture, Shutter made no difference

However, I turn my camera off and on each time I take the adapter off and on. Out of old habit of precautions with older equipment. I do the same for the Sony flashes and lenses.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

electronbee's gear list:electronbee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
electronbee Contributing Member • Posts: 668
So, an IR wireless alternative then?

Basically, use the housing, the connector, the mod to get the SYNC signal, and fire off a remote trigger. Kinda weird to have a nice camera and then use after-market, low-end, triggers. But, if they work with the other brands, then it'd be OK.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

electronbee's gear list:electronbee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
tbyork2010 Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: So, an IR wireless alternative then?

Hi.

Just to say the Nex shadow I ordered arrived today. It is not as easy to mount it on the Nex-5N - the mounting screw has a serrated edge for you to grip against when turning the screw to secure this adapter firmly in place. If it is loose, the flash will not fire off, so make sure you tighten it securely, so the mount cannot rock about on the camera.

You could use a flat surface such as a coin to turn the screw a little further, as it will grip against the serrated edges of the mounting screw, so as to tighten it. Once secured, I have to say it works excellently both with wireless flash (Yong Nuo el cheapo wireless triggers) and also with the PC sync cord. Now I can use my Vivitar 283 and 285 flashes with my Nex-5N for UV photography. This adapter makes my Nex-5N closer to the ideal UV camera. Is it worth the $80? Yes as it works.

BT

tbyork2010 wrote:

Hi.

Just to say the Nex shadow I ordered arrived today. It is not as easy to mount it on the Nex-5N - the mounting screw has a serrated edge for you to grip against when turning the screw to secure this adapter firmly in place. If it is loose, the flash will not fire off, so make sure you tighten it securely, so the mount cannot rock about on the camera.

You could use a flat surface such as a coin to turn the screw a little further, as it will grip against the serrated edges of the mounting screw, so as to tighten it. Once secured, I have to say it works excellently both with wireless flash (Yong Nuo el cheapo wireless triggers) and also with the PC sync cord. Now I can use my Vivitar 283 and 285 flashes with my Nex-5N for UV photography. This adapter makes my Nex-5N closer to the ideal UV camera. Is it worth the $80? Yes as it works.

BT

Thank you for your post, I'm waiting for mine !

wll

Nuwanda Mugabe Forum Member • Posts: 61

Hi, can you please describe how your vivitar 283 works with your 5n and adapter?

Can you use pc cord attached to adapter and than to flash or?? What about dangerous trigger voltage of 238?How did you resolve triggering voltages so that your nex can be safe when flash fired?

little al Regular Member • Posts: 282

Nuwanda,

I came across this article on taming the high voltages of the Vivitar 283. Hopefully it helps.

Cheers

" http://www.instructables.com/id/Taming-the-high-trigger-voltage-of-the-Vivitar-283/ "

little al's gear list:little al's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
little al Regular Member • Posts: 282

Nuwanda ....

link to article on taming high voltage of Vivitar 283

" http://www.instructables.com/id/Taming-the-high-trigger-voltage-of-the-Vivitar-283/ "

little al's gear list:little al's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
bkkl New Member • Posts: 12
Re: does preview stay always-bright as with flash raised?

Hi, I tried the adapter with the yongnuo rf-603n transceivers and could not get them to work.
Kevin

RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
modify one Yongnuo to be permanent transmitter

You add a resistor costing somewhere between one cent and one dollar to the Yongnuo RF-603, inside its case which is not that difficult to disassemble, and it becomes a permanent "transmitter" that can be triggered easily by 'most any hot shoe.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=40971346

For this to work, the Yongnuo radio transceiver that is slid into the top of the Sonia Digital Slave, must itself have a resistor added inside its case, in order that it configure itself as a transmitter. Unmodified Yongnuo radio transceivers, plugged into remote flash units within 50 meters or so, will automatically react as receivers to signals from the modified transceiver. Too bad that the inexpensive Sonia digital slave unit doesn't supply a special "TTL wakeup signal" through its hot shoe, to make an attached Yongnuo transceiver automatically realize it should be a transmitter. That's OK, we can rewire the Yongnuo to permanently be in transmitter mode.

The modification necessary to the Yongnuo transceiver to make it a transmitter, is to add a tiny 20 cent (Radio Shack sells 5 for about a dollar) 1/8th watt resistor of about 120000 ohms, connecting (i.e. soldering) one end of the resistor to the "J6" contact inside the Yongnuo disassembled casing. The other end of the resistor is easily soldered/connected to the Vin battery power terminal on the Yongnuo exposed circuit board. Make sure to cover the bare resistor leads with a bit of electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to make sure the bare leads don't touch anything inside the case after reassembly. The resistor is so small that the casing will easily reassemble.

A modified transceiver will, when turned on, always light up both its green LEDs full time, showing that it is functioning as a flash-signal transmitter. In contrast, unmodified Yongnuo transceivers that are not in the presence of a transmitter will automatically power up with a single green LED lit, showing they are receivers. Actually unmodified transceivers will automatically power up with both LEDs glowing green, if they are turned on while in range of the active transmitter. The receivers' second LED being lit shows that they are in good radio contact with a transmitter.

Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Just got an e-mail that mine has been sent, hot digity dogs ;- )

wll

tbyork2010 Forum Member • Posts: 63

Hi. Sorry but not been checking the forum for last few days. The Vivitar 283 can either be triggered by the hotshoe on top of the adapter or via the PC sync socket as I do have the Vivitar PC sync cable as well. It is recommended not to mount the flash on the adapter as it is not designed to hold a huge amount of weight.

My Vivitar 283 is from Korea or China and hence has low trigger voltage (unlike the Japanese models), so no need to tame its voltage. But I do have a Wein Safe sync if needed.

BT

little mizzi New Member • Posts: 5
NEX Hotshoe Adapter - report and pictures from inside and out

If you like to read a short report with several pictures, the hotshoe dismantled, and statements which are verifying what had been reported here in this forum already:
http://nex-hack.blogspot.com
ciao Mizzi

Well I can tell ya that it does work and it is a pretty well made little unit.

It is not made to put a flash on, so if those are your plans forget about it. The Sony design is not strong enough to hold it.

I have some cheap wireless units coming and can hardly wait to try those.

For anyone that want to use strobes for macro or studio stuff, this little unit is a game changer

I have electronic first curtain on and a shutter speed of 250 is a no go. I'll check later to see if 250 can be used if electronic first curtain is turned off.

wll

fabianbono
fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190

wll wrote:

Well I can tell ya that it does work and it is a pretty well made little unit.

It is not made to put a flash on, so if those are your plans forget about it. The Sony design is not strong enough to hold it.

I have some cheap wireless units coming and can hardly wait to try those.

For anyone that want to use strobes for macro or studio stuff, this little unit is a game changer

I have electronic first curtain on and a shutter speed of 250 is a no go. I'll check later to see if 250 can be used if electronic first curtain is turned off.

wll

Just a question, if you don't have the F7S flash unit attached, how you can set the flash mode?
My NEX C3 if flash is off, just disable some flash settings in the menu.
--
Fabian Bono
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabianbono/show/

fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

wll wrote:

I wouldn't expect that to work, the NEX has a maximum flash sync of 1/160. It's down to the speed of the shutter curtain and doesn't matter whether the first curtain is electronic or not, the speed is the same.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
For this searobbery price

IT'S TRASH !

Things world doesn't need ...

Little Sony kit flash triggers EACH big flash!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads