NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
madzazulu OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,311
Re: Quick and dirty test results

So thumbs up or down ? :D.

JJJPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,584

Thumbs up for what it is ... a way to add real external flash/strobe capabilities to your NEX camera without optical slaves.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a99 A3000 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more
RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
impressively usable with cropping at 1/400th sec shutter speed

Could see the 1/400th second shutter speed being useful if you know to crop out the top part of the picture. Getting awfully close to 1/500th of a second sync speeds of old Hasselblad, Rolleiflex and other leaf shutter lenses. The perfect sync at 1/250th is also impressive, it might even work perfectly with a Yongnuo 560 flash having 1/320th second duration. How wonderful to be able to cut out that much more ambient light when taking a flash photo.

Odd that the Sony flash doesn't manage sync faster than 1/160th.

does preview stay always-bright as with flash raised?

Does the Nex LCD preview with this new hotshoe active, work exactly as if the standard flash was installed and raised? In the sense that there is a mode in which the viewfinder stays always-bright, no matter what shutter speed or f-stop is selected? Can you turn the hotshoe on and off, so that in off position, the camera doesn't act as if a flash is installed, even the new hotshoe if physically attached?

Anyone tried the hotshoe with the new Yongnuo RF-603 radio transceiver remote flash triggers?

cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

So no problems with preflash?

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
Anesh Pather Contributing Member • Posts: 804
will it work on the NEX-F3?

any chance that the NEX Proshop adaptor will work on the new NEX-F3?

http://www.nexproshop.com/collections/frontpage/products/shadow-nex-hotshoe-adaptor

TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,580

Some questions, already asked, but I will put them more ordered:

1-Screen. IS it wright or dimmed? Does the camera assumes that a flash is in so it lights the screen more instead of simulating that low light (a f8, 1/200s is going to be very dim)

2-Preflash. Is there one? When you press, until it fires, do you feel the preflash? IT should be some milliseconds.

3-Quality. How about the quality of the product. How good it fits the nex. How good the universal socket is?

To tell you the truth, the first one is a deal breaker. You wont be able to focus correctly. The second one, while annoying, is the same thing that happens with the optical slave, so if Im living with it right now, I can still do it with this adapter.

What about some pictures of the product on your nex with and without a radio on it? Last resource if you dont have a second camera, at least take them with a camera phone in good light.

thanks,

JJJPhoto wrote:

Thumbs up for what it is ... a way to add real external flash/strobe capabilities to your NEX camera without optical slaves.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: impressively usable with cropping at 1/400th sec shutter speed

I think I need one of these for sure, will order !

wll

Auto or manual flash has no pre-flash (that's just TTL flash). So, that is one very nice advantage to flash photography with this setup. My daughter ALWAYS blinks when I use my NEX-3 with the clip-on flash to take a portrait of her. If I use this setup there is no blinking because there is no pre-flash to cause her to blink.

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a99 A3000 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more

TiagoReil wrote:

1-Screen. IS it wright or dimmed? Does the camera assumes that a flash is in so it lights the screen more instead of simulating that low light (a f8, 1/200s is going to be very dim)

It is dimmed ... depending on your settings it might be VERY dimmed to the point that composing the shot is VERY difficult. That's one of the reasons I say this setup is not "ideal." That said, focusing is okay because when you half-press the shutter button the screen brightens enough for the camera to get an AF lock.

Let's just say that framing a photo of little kids running around in a room will be problematic since the screen darkens and it's hard to see where the kids are moving in the frame.

If you're dealing with stationary subjects (a portrait setting) then this isn't so bad.

2-Preflash. Is there one? When you press, until it fires, do you feel the preflash? IT should be some milliseconds.

No pre-flash because there is no TTL communication.

3-Quality. How about the quality of the product. How good it fits the nex. How good the universal socket is?

It's a mass-produced piece of plastic and basic electronic circuit board assembled in China. We're not talking about a Leica-quality accessory here. It fits my NEX-3 just fine and the black plastics match up nicely but the fit is "slightly" off in the sense that when the adapter is mounted on the camera it fits at a very slight upward angle. I assume this would be the same on the NEX-5/5N but I'm not sure.

To tell you the truth, the first one is a deal breaker. You wont be able to focus correctly. The second one, while annoying, is the same thing that happens with the optical slave, so if Im living with it right now, I can still do it with this adapter.

What about some pictures of the product on your nex with and without a radio on it? Last resource if you dont have a second camera, at least take them with a camera phone in good light.

I will try to post more samples tonight as well as some images of the adapter mounted to my NEX-3 with a couple different flash and radio trigger setups. Work is chaotic at the moment so I won't be able to do it right away.

S.A. Veteran Member • Posts: 4,072
Re: couple cell pics of shoe mounted on 5N

Played around for a little while this morning.

I wanted this adapter for one thing. Using it with radio triggers. I use off camera flash only, everything in manual. Lumopro strobes and NPT-04s. They fired in sync every time. I did not see any sort of issues with pre-flash.

The size is slightly smaller than the kit flash. It sits slightly higher, but is quite a bit more narrow. From front to back, it is about the same length.

The build quality seems fine to me. But I have one issue. It does not fit snugly. It's as if the thumb screw is ever so slightly too long or something. I am going to make a U shaped shim to go under the the head of the screw. For 80 bux I think this is a problem, but I am so happy to not be using optical slaves anymore, that I will live with this one small problem.

Oh one other thing. I was trying to shoot some birds in my backyard with the set up, and the screen is dark. I had to dial the shutter speed up much longer so that I could focus, then take it back to where I wanted to shoot. In a studio setting this isn't an issue because you can turn modeling lights on and off. But this is problematic for other types of shooting.

Here are a few cell phone pics of the adapter mounted on the camera:

Does it have a case ?

Being that it is a delicate piece of equipment, does it have a little case to keep it in ?

wll

TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,580

What you tell me is not good for me. If you are using only flash, and in dim studio, you wont see a thing. This is a pitty, and a deal breaker for me. I understand that it is one problem or the other. Doing this, you don't have a preflash, cause the camera doesn't know there is a flash attached. But on the other hand, it is more important for me focusing and framing. At home, with ISO 200, and a speed of 1/160, not even at f1.4 I see.

JJJPhoto wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

It is dimmed ... depending on your settings it might be VERY dimmed to the point that composing the shot is VERY difficult. That's one of the reasons I say this setup is not "ideal." That said, focusing is okay because when you half-press the shutter button the screen brightens enough for the camera to get an AF lock.

Let's just say that framing a photo of little kids running around in a room will be problematic since the screen darkens and it's hard to see where the kids are moving in the frame.

If you're dealing with stationary subjects (a portrait setting) then this isn't so bad.

No pre-flash because there is no TTL communication.

It's a mass-produced piece of plastic and basic electronic circuit board assembled in China. We're not talking about a Leica-quality accessory here. It fits my NEX-3 just fine and the black plastics match up nicely but the fit is "slightly" off in the sense that when the adapter is mounted on the camera it fits at a very slight upward angle. I assume this would be the same on the NEX-5/5N but I'm not sure.

I will try to post more samples tonight as well as some images of the adapter mounted to my NEX-3 with a couple different flash and radio trigger setups. Work is chaotic at the moment so I won't be able to do it right away.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
M P O New Member • Posts: 7
Live View Display

Hi,

If you turn off 'Live View Display' in the settings menu does that help with the dim LCD while focussing problem?

Re: does preview stay always-bright as with flash raised?

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Does the Nex LCD preview with this new hotshoe active, work exactly as if the standard flash was installed and raised? In the sense that there is a mode in which the viewfinder stays always-bright, no matter what shutter speed or f-stop is selected? Can you turn the hotshoe on and off, so that in off position, the camera doesn't act as if a flash is installed, even the new hotshoe if physically attached?

Anyone tried the hotshoe with the new Yongnuo RF-603 radio transceiver remote flash triggers?

These are questions I have too. I have a YN460-II that I bought to use with the 5n. Had to make a Goldfarb type of arrangement to use flash ... just ridiculous !

wll

Tiago, flash mod is looking good

It's a pity, was really looking forward to getting a tidy solution, but this nexProShop thing won't even brighten the viewfinder.

Now fabianobono's work is looking more relevant.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41568077

The modifications are certainly inexpensive. Have the impression you get flash sync without flash, and with a bright viewfinder. To be examined further.

electronbee Contributing Member • Posts: 668
No difference in my LCD display (NEX 5N)

LCD with adapter mounted

LCD with the adapter unmounted

Adapter tolerance:

Screw thread is the right pitch but it is slightly larger in diameter when looking at it under the microscope. Could be that the Sony screw is machined vice the Shadow screw is rolled. I have a tap and die set and I'll run a die over it.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

electronbee's gear list:electronbee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
fabianbono
fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: Tiago, flash mod is looking good

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

It's a pity, was really looking forward to getting a tidy solution, but this nexProShop thing won't even brighten the viewfinder.

Now fabianobono's work is looking more relevant.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41568077

The modifications are certainly inexpensive. Have the impression you get flash sync without flash, and with a bright viewfinder. To be examined further.

I just add some comments on my post about the LCD screen behavior.
In my mod, you can rise the Sony Flash to bright the screen and lock the AF.
Then down the flash before shoot.

Other "workaround" is to have a flashlight at hand and point to subject in dark environment, just to help AF lock, but no so much professional solution....

fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
TriniArt2 Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: No difference in my LCD display (NEX 5N)

Were you in A mode here? If for example you set the camera in Manual mode to ISo 100, F11, 125sec. indoor setting....the screen should be almost black.. according to other posters... with the adapter attached.....as opposed to a bright screen with sony flash attached and in up position......still waiting for mine to arrive...

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Rokinon 35mm F1.4 +11 more
Got off the Fence ;- )

Just ordered mine, looking forward to it.

wll

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads