NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,583
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

I still consider it a hack cause we are fooling the camera. The camera is not working with you, and doing more things that it should do to take the photo. It is making a preflash, it is probably doing some checking, etc. But as I said, it is a NICE hack. instead of an UGLY one. I think you thought I used HACK in a derogaroty way, but actually I didnt. That is why I add the adjective UGLY and NICE. But it still is a hack. I would buy it in a second. But still, I wouldnt consider it a supported product.

But the important thing is how this is made. As so many said, the screen problem. It needs to tell the camera there is a flash in it, so the camera behaves as when it has a flash. And of course, we will have the delay (showing again this is a HACK), but we could be avoiding spending power because no small flash is actually fired. Lets hope that is the case.

wll wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

Without a firmware update this will still be a hack. A nice hack. What I do now a days is an ugly hack, but will still be a hack, and as you say, if done correctly, the only problem will be the delay.

Im also curious to know if this will be better on the batteries. It should. It should inform the camera that is full all the time so it wont be draining battery, and also we wont have to stop from time to time (as it happens now with the ugly hack)

If this works, I would buy it for sure, but I would still consider it a hack. A pity that sony didn't do anything about this.

What do you mean a hack, If it works it works... it is not the fault of a third party manufacturer if the Sony engineers are too stupid to make an adapter. It is quite apparent that Sony does not have enough engineers with an IQ high enough to design an adapter, so someone else must do it !

wll

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
TiagoReil

The product that sony should make is a Radio trigger with propietary Nex port. Or a pocket wizard transmitter with the propietary port. That way, ther eis no possible way to break it cause you cant add a flash, there is no problem with the kind of hot shoe, and you have what you want, a way to radio trigger. Imagine a transmitter as big as the current flash, that you insert it in the same way of the flash, with a button on top to trigger it manually, and just a couple of switches for the chanels, Thats it. Small un intrusive, compact.

That would be a killer thing, but it would be expensive if sony did it all. And if it was only a pocket wizard transmitter, you will have to spend a lot on receivers (transivers, I know, but only used as receiver).

kevinon wrote:

that's a little bit harsh.. I mean it's obvious, why would Sony sell such an adapter?

1) it would only make sense if it would be Sony's proprietary hot shoe
and

2) they could not sell it! how do you explain customers that it looks like a hot shoe but you're not allowed to put a speedlight on it because it could rip your camera apart? but third party remotes??

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter - for the cat?

Hehehe, FIRST it must work! Nobody tried it. If it doesn't work perfectly (I think) - then $80 were FOR THE CAT!

Hehe, for $ 19.90 (incl. ship.)

So it is: hot air.

Sony has NOTHING to build. If you cannot handle your NEX - buy another camera.
Writing a wish list to Sony makes them laugh ... they need a joke of the day

TiagoReil

I agree with your comment, but still, that doesn't mean a third party can do something sony didn't intended. We are talking hypothetically. This will still be a hack, that wont work 100% as it should (for sure it will have the delay) but still could be useful for a lot of people (me, for instance, that I'm using the optical trigger). Still, a supported product wouldn't be a bad thing. Lots of cameras come without GPS but the sellers have some way to add it later, this could be the case too, but as this wasn't developed already, doesn't seem to be in sony's intentions.

At one point in the future this could be something already included in the camera. There are cameras coming with GPS, with WIFI, this is the normal evolution. But we are far from this, and the market is fragmented with lots of different sellers.

Knallberto wrote:

Sony has NOTHING to build. If you cannot handle your NEX - buy another camera.
Writing a wish list to Sony makes them laugh ... they need a joke of the day

ShaqFu New Member • Posts: 7

Here is a link to a short review of the NEX hotshoe adapter

http://chinese.engadget.com/2012/04/26/shadow-sony-nex-hot-shoe-adaptor-hands-on/

richg101 Regular Member • Posts: 226

ShaqFu wrote:

http://chinese.engadget.com/2012/04/26/shadow-sony-nex-hot-shoe-adaptor-hands-on/

goes to show all the stupid kids saying it was fake were wrong.

kevinon Regular Member • Posts: 111

Thanks for the link but I don't think there were a lot of people saying it is fake. The only questions were how it will be implemented.

The good news from this article is the sync speed which was successfully tested up to 1/250s and 1/320s introducing a small black bar. This means the adapter is not simulating the Sony flash which limits the sync speed to 1/160s and therefore should also eliminate the TTL shutter lag.

If I'm right the only question remaining open is the LCD gain to simulate the flash exposure.

richg101 wrote:

ShaqFu wrote:

goes to show all the stupid kids saying it was fake were wrong.

kevinon's gear list:kevinon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +1 more
JJJPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Re: "Jeremy Chan" says will ship by June 1, 2012

As the disclaimer says, this is really only intended for use with small flash triggers and small flash units since the port and mounting screw on the NEX cameras wasn't designed to hold nearly as much weight as a standard hotshoe.

Still, I'm excited to get my hands on one of these.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a99 A3000 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more
RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
have a lot of nerve calling questioners "stupid"

It wasn't stupid at all to question a web site nobody had ever heard of before, that was offering to take your money without promising to deliver anything we know anything about at any time in particular.

Nice to hear you either explain why all the questioners were "stupid" or offer a bit of apology.

Am glad that the Sony hot shoe adapter for the Nex $80 dollar product looks increasingly real.

TiagoReil
Re: have a lot of nerve calling questioners "stupid"

Agree, the site shows no reference to a company If this was a company making them they would look more real. We all thought they were prototypes / vaporware, and are still concern on how they work.

If they are not recongized as flash, does the nex screen goes dark? Thats my only concern now.

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

It wasn't stupid at all to question a web site nobody had ever heard of before, that was offering to take your money without promising to deliver anything we know anything about at any time in particular.

Nice to hear you either explain why all the questioners were "stupid" or offer a bit of apology.

Am glad that the Sony hot shoe adapter for the Nex $80 dollar product looks increasingly real.

amuro Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: have a lot of nerve calling questioners "stupid"

the unit is shipping now... or so I was told.
--
---
people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

amuro's gear list:amuro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,351
Re: Audio port may or may not work...

electronbee wrote:

The reason I say this is that the accessory port is not a "dumb" port with multiple inputs being used/unused, unfortunately. In order for the camera to "know" to use an external microphone, something has to tell the camera: use external microphone. Which is where the accessory identified itself to the NEX as the external mic, then, the camera turns off the internal mics and uses that external ones.

So, unfortunately, unless Sony where to release a BIOS for the camera that would allow for another accessory identifier for a combo flash/mic, or, evf/mic, then no. Won't happen yet.

There is also the issue of the line-level for the microphones. The current SST is probably powered and has some form of pre-amplification, signal conditioning, etc in it. So, you'd have to match the line level correctly. It'd also be nice to have a headphone out to monitor, in real-time, the quality of the recorded audio. But, alas, it is a DSLR with video recording as a "feature" and not a HD video camera with DSLR capability as a "feature".

Maybe next NEX? We can hope? Not like it would be that hard to make a BIOS flash allow for an external mic input or something.

Or, get crazy, and hack your NEX with an external mic jack. Something that I might do shortly. Dunno... Dunno...

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

As another poster pointed out there are some very nice inexpensive digital stereo recorders that can be easily attached to the nex 5n. It would take minimal editing to replace the nex sound with the externally recorded sound.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +3 more
madzazulu OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,311
OWHK Forum Member • Posts: 57

madzazulu wrote:
This one is more interesting to me

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41338104

madzazulu wrote:

$80.

http://www.nexproshop.com/

Finally, someone found it.

This is my friend's project and I have been using it for few months already.

It works like magic.

1/4000s sync with NEX5N !

17 flash shots in 2-3 seconds ....

TTL test

+ - EV test

madzazulu OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,311

Looks cool!.

joeybagz Junior Member • Posts: 42

thats awesome, how can we also get this same mod accomplished???

TiagoReil

Sooo..... Anybody preordered???? Have you received an estimate delivery date???

Anybody has more info on how it works, specially the delay, the screen not dark (as if it had a flash) and doesnt waste battery?????

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads