NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter.

Nobody forces you to pay $80 ... $80/800/8000 .. if a dude pays ...

cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

Typical vapor-ware

At least a documentation should be available whether/how preflash is supposed to be handled.

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
madzazulu OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,311

It's fine it's not my money...I'm saying for ME.

Knallberto wrote:

Nobody forces you to pay $80 ... $80/800/8000 .. if a dude pays ...

Chiuki Regular Member • Posts: 216

or is this going to be another 'NEX-7' preorder then wait and hope situation?

ahhh, i'm sure it's fine, go ahead and order one and let me know how it works.

-- hide signature --

Chiuki Amsterdam Street Photography
http://www.chiuki.com

Chiuki's gear list:Chiuki's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +13 more

Not ordering, waiting for Chinese knock off.

Chiuki wrote:

or is this going to be another 'NEX-7' preorder then wait and hope situation?

ahhh, i'm sure it's fine, go ahead and order one and let me know how it works.

-- hide signature --

Chiuki Amsterdam Street Photography
http://www.chiuki.com

seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201

One thing to check: does the camera simulate the exposure on the LCD with this attached, or does the camera believe there's a flash attached and show you a bright live view image?

If this hasn't been done properly there will be big issues with actually seeing what you're trying to take.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +21 more
Elite83 Contributing Member • Posts: 931

If you didn't buy this, you could probably buy a NEX-7 with all the money you saved. Then you wouldn't need one.

[end sarcasm]

But seriously, IMHO, it's not worth it because the next NEX model to replace the 5n will very likely have a built in hot shoe like the NEX-7. Then there's $80 down the drain.

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

Elite83 wrote:

But seriously, IMHO, it's not worth it because the next NEX model to replace the 5n will very likely have a built in hot shoe like the NEX-7. Then there's $80 down the drain.

That is possible, but maybe Sony will keep the NEX type flash on the 3 and 5 series as they already have attachments for it.....external mike, two flash units, and the EVF !

wll

RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
"Jeremy Chan" says will ship by June 1, 2012

Mr. Chan from contact@nexproshop.com emailed me.

It is weird that we can't even download a user manual yet, will ask about that.

kevinon Regular Member • Posts: 111

I guess it will just simulate a nex flash.

what's more important is the pre flash handling. because a raidio trigger will trigger the flash twice. that's why at the moment a setup with a syk-5 or another pre-flash aware device is the only option.

This hot-shoe adapter would significantly reduce bulk.

Hope we will get some more info soon..

seachicken2000 wrote:

One thing to check: does the camera simulate the exposure on the LCD with this attached, or does the camera believe there's a flash attached and show you a bright live view image?

If this hasn't been done properly there will be big issues with actually seeing what you're trying to take.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

kevinon's gear list:kevinon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +1 more

It doesn't do similar like TTL so I don't think there is any pre-flash, it just support manual period.

seachicken2000 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Norman Parkinson

Re: "Jeremy Chan" says will ship by June 1, 2012

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Mr. Chan from contact@nexproshop.com emailed me.

It is weird that we can't even download a user manual yet, will ask about that.

I have some items at B&H lined up to buy, but if this is lagit, than it would make off camera flash a lot cleaner for sure.

wll

electronbee Contributing Member • Posts: 668
$80 is about right

I know a lot of people are looking at it and thinking, wow, that's expensive. But, in order to research, design, and implement something like that involves quite a bit of money. I know this first hand as I was trying to make one myself: OE flash, a PIC micro-controller, misc parts, hot shoe mount, plus a lot of my time. I also had to send my camera in for repair as I shorted something out in the accessory socket and no accessory would work.

Then, you take in all the production costs: ordering all the parts, circuit boards, assembly, the plastic shape being made, QA, etc. I think that shape is blow-molded using two halves. That alone is fairly expensive even going to China which one has to do for small production runs. Anything US or EU will be even more.

So, with my actual experience in making things, and the flash adapter was just one of them, I agree with the price. In all reality, as there is no Sony alternative, and only workarounds available, price is not bad really.

I have actually ordered one.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

electronbee's gear list:electronbee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Re: $80 is about right

Keep us posted.

As a manufacturer my self, bringing an item to market is an expensive ordeal for sure.

I wish these folks success in this endeavor and hope things work out as planned.

As soon as I see that product is being shipped, I will order as I don't want to order a hot shoe and wireless strobe and attach that to my Sony flash if I don't need to, I want a clean set up.

Again, keep us posted when you receive it.

wll

electronbee Contributing Member • Posts: 668
Audio port may or may not work...

The reason I say this is that the accessory port is not a "dumb" port with multiple inputs being used/unused, unfortunately. In order for the camera to "know" to use an external microphone, something has to tell the camera: use external microphone. Which is where the accessory identified itself to the NEX as the external mic, then, the camera turns off the internal mics and uses that external ones.

So, unfortunately, unless Sony where to release a BIOS for the camera that would allow for another accessory identifier for a combo flash/mic, or, evf/mic, then no. Won't happen yet.

There is also the issue of the line-level for the microphones. The current SST is probably powered and has some form of pre-amplification, signal conditioning, etc in it. So, you'd have to match the line level correctly. It'd also be nice to have a headphone out to monitor, in real-time, the quality of the recorded audio. But, alas, it is a DSLR with video recording as a "feature" and not a HD video camera with DSLR capability as a "feature".

Maybe next NEX? We can hope? Not like it would be that hard to make a BIOS flash allow for an external mic input or something.

Or, get crazy, and hack your NEX with an external mic jack. Something that I might do shortly. Dunno... Dunno...

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

electronbee's gear list:electronbee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201

what's more important is the pre flash handling. because a raidio trigger will trigger the flash twice. that's why at the moment a setup with a syk-5 or another pre-flash aware device is the only option.

I guess they must have done this properly (so that the LCD isn't dark), otherwise they won't be able to sell it. If they've done that, I'm sure they've implemented it so that there's a single trigger pulse for the main flash only.

The only remaining annoyance is likely to be the delay from shutter press to exposure. On my NEX-5 there's a 160ms delay between TTL measurement flash, and the main flash. I can't think of any way they could have gotten around that.

I really don't understand why Sony doesn't implement external flash support on the lower NEX models. The m4/3 cameras support wireless flash control from the on-camera flash. I'm sure they could have done the same for the NEX, and they'd probably have made themselves a fat profit selling accessory flashes (which aren't cheap!).

-- hide signature --

Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +21 more
TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,580

Without a firmware update this will still be a hack. A nice hack. What I do now a days is an ugly hack, but will still be a hack, and as you say, if done correctly, the only problem will be the delay.

Im also curious to know if this will be better on the batteries. It should. It should inform the camera that is full all the time so it wont be draining battery, and also we wont have to stop from time to time (as it happens now with the ugly hack)

If this works, I would buy it for sure, but I would still consider it a hack. A pity that sony didn't do anything about this.

Ti@go

seachicken2000 wrote:

I guess they must have done this properly (so that the LCD isn't dark), otherwise they won't be able to sell it. If they've done that, I'm sure they've implemented it so that there's a single trigger pulse for the main flash only.

The only remaining annoyance is likely to be the delay from shutter press to exposure. On my NEX-5 there's a 160ms delay between TTL measurement flash, and the main flash. I can't think of any way they could have gotten around that.

I really don't understand why Sony doesn't implement external flash support on the lower NEX models. The m4/3 cameras support wireless flash control from the on-camera flash. I'm sure they could have done the same for the NEX, and they'd probably have made themselves a fat profit selling accessory flashes (which aren't cheap!).

-- hide signature --

Norman Parkinson

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more

TiagoReil wrote:

Without a firmware update this will still be a hack. A nice hack. What I do now a days is an ugly hack, but will still be a hack, and as you say, if done correctly, the only problem will be the delay.

Im also curious to know if this will be better on the batteries. It should. It should inform the camera that is full all the time so it wont be draining battery, and also we wont have to stop from time to time (as it happens now with the ugly hack)

If this works, I would buy it for sure, but I would still consider it a hack. A pity that sony didn't do anything about this.

What do you mean a hack, If it works it works... it is not the fault of a third party manufacturer if the Sony engineers are too stupid to make an adapter. It is quite apparent that Sony does not have enough engineers with an IQ high enough to design an adapter, so someone else must do it !

wll

kevinon Regular Member • Posts: 111

that's a little bit harsh.. I mean it's obvious, why would Sony sell such an adapter?

1) it would only make sense if it would be Sony's proprietary hot shoe
and

2) they could not sell it! how do you explain customers that it looks like a hot shoe but you're not allowed to put a speedlight on it because it could rip your camera apart? but third party remotes??

kevinon's gear list:kevinon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +1 more
aman74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002

GodSpeaks wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

madzazulu wrote:

$80.

http://www.nexproshop.com/

Thanks for the heads-up

I'd buy one for $40, but $80 seems a bit too steep really

Still cheaper than the Sony Alpha to hotshoe adapter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608703-REG/Sony_FA_HS1AM_FA_HS1AM_Hot_Shoe_Adapter.html

At least with the alpha adapters, one has a choice and can buy a third party unit for under $20.

But for now, if you need an NEX to hotshoe adapter, then you pay the price.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

That's not what this is. This is to convert the non-standard port of the Nex 3/5...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads