5D3 DxOMark Score

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
5D3 DxOMark Score

After much talk about how long it was taking for DxOMark to test the 5D3, they have completed the test.

Perhaps as expected, the only real change is better High ISO (Sports) score. As many here were predicting, it did not overtake the D800 and D4.

5D Mk II
1815 ISO
11.9 EVs DR
23.7 Color Depth

5D Mk III
2239 ISO
11.7 EVs DR
24 bits color depth

D800
2835 ISO
14.4 EVs DR
25.3 bits Color Depth

D4
2965 ISO
13.1 EVs
24.7 bits Color Depth

Overall score was 81.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

Cheers,
Markus Arike

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,003
Re: 5D3 DxOMark Score

Thanks for the link, but I've learned to take the DxO ratings with a HUGE grain of salt. While they can offer a glimpse into what a sensor is capable of, the number of factors that can affect the final quality of an image can far outweigh the numerical abilities of the sensor. Focus, exposure, range of light in the scene, ISO, post processing, and the like will also have a pronounced effect on the image.

I admit that the increase in 'sports' score is more than I would have guessed. And can anyone explain the decrease in DR (by their measurements)? Makes no sense, really.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Stepanfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,246

I see no score there...

If your information is correct, then this:

2008 5DmkII overall 79
2012 5DmkIII overall 81

does not look good at all.

I mean, what were they doing all that years?

aftab
aftab Forum Pro • Posts: 10,204

So, D800 scores better than 5D3 in ISO? We should stop believing our eyes, I guess.
Thanks for the laugh. Those people are bunch of jokers.
--
Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +23 more
jenbenn Regular Member • Posts: 214

Well, looking at the raw files from the Mark III I can indeed see no real progress over the Mark II. No need for DXO here. The main progress seems to be in the jpg engine which easily achieves a two stop improvement.

Leaving these real life observation aside, I have to say the DXO delivers perhaps the most useless and practically irrellevant testing of any site. Their point scores often suggest stark differences in image quality which I have never observed in practice.

Their lens test are downright absurd. Take for example the resolution graph for the 16-35 MM II L. DXO claim that at 16mm the lens becomes LESS sharp when stopping it down. E.G. at f/2.8 the image borders are sharper than at f/5.6. This is plain stupid, wrong , against my personal exprience, contrary to all other tests and above all contrary to all optical logic. It also cannot be a mistake as I have pointed the mistake out to dxo. Their only reaction was to delete my comment and ignore my email.

birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,526

jenbenn wrote:

Well, looking at the raw files from the Mark III I can indeed see no real progress over the Mark II. No need for DXO here.

Erm may I suggest a visit to the opticians may be in order?

Or perhaps an upgrade on your monitor would help?

As I can see a marked improvement myself.

The main progress seems to be in the jpg engine which easily achieves a two stop improvement.

Leaving these real life observation aside, I have to say the DXO delivers perhaps the most useless and practically irrellevant testing of any site. Their point scores often suggest stark differences in image quality which I have never observed in practice.

Their lens test are downright absurd. Take for example the resolution graph for the 16-35 MM II L. DXO claim that at 16mm the lens becomes LESS sharp when stopping it down. E.G. at f/2.8 the image borders are sharper than at f/5.6. This is plain stupid, wrong , against my personal exprience, contrary to all other tests and above all contrary to all optical logic. It also cannot be a mistake as I have pointed the mistake out to dxo. Their only reaction was to delete my comment and ignore my email.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,526

aftab wrote:

So, D800 scores better than 5D3 in ISO? We should stop believing our eyes, I guess.

What do you expect they are French after all!

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more

jenbenn wrote:

... contrary to all optical logic.

There is no such thing as "optical logic". Lenses are VERY complex optical systems and their behaviour may sometimes seem counterintuitive to somebody who knows nothing about complex optics.

dbm305 Senior Member • Posts: 1,749
5D3 DxOMark Score have vanished

Now they've gone from the DXO site.

What's happening here????

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +16 more
treepop
treepop Contributing Member • Posts: 723

Wow. If this is true. I am definitely going to wait it out with my 5D2.

EDIT
That sucks that the low light score was below the D800
--
never stop learning

treepop's gear list:treepop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +20 more
Eugeniu Sofroni
Eugeniu Sofroni Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: 5D3 DxOMark Score have vanished

dbm305 wrote:

Now they've gone from the DXO site.

What's happening here????

they realized they are retarded

Eugeniu Sofroni's gear list:Eugeniu Sofroni's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
plasnu Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: 5D3 DxOMark Score have vanished

I can't see it. The score is deleted?

it is against optical logic since

1. no cosnumer lens/camera combination commercially available today is diffraction limited at f/2.8. Some m4/3 lens/camera cominations are limted at f5.6.

2. stopping down cuts off the light rays going through the outer regions of the lens, which are difficult to correct and usually do not focus as precisly as centre rays even in optical designs employing aspheric elements.

3. I have not encountered a single lens whose border resolution doesnt improve or at least stay the same on stopping down up until the diffration limit. There is no lens that suffers from a decrease in resolution on stopping down before reaching its diffraction limit (which is also depended on sensor). Some lenses however show an increase in CA on stopping down, but not in resolution.

Everyone makes his own assessment. I certainly cannot see any improvement which would be relevant. Not for small prints and certainly not for my gallery prints.

Screenshots?

Does anybody have screenshots? They would back those numbers better.

sapperlot Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Screenshots?

I have no screen-shot, but these are the 5d3 scores I saw when they were online

iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
Here are some screenshots

Stepanfo wrote:

Does anybody have screenshots? They would back those numbers better.

Seems Nikon Rumors snagged some screen shots: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/19/dxomark-verdict-nikon-d800-95-canon-5d-mark-iii-81.aspx/

Regards. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
No progress

No progress in last 5 years...

iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
Comparison Screen Capture

From before numbers were yanked (for whatever reason):

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
OP marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

birdbrain wrote:

aftab wrote:

What do you expect they are French after all!

Not sure what being French has to do with anything, but I imagine that if the 5D3 had exceeded the D800 sensor performance, all the "DxOMark is bull-spit" talk would suddenly turn to praise for DxOMark.

I posted this because for weeks there were posts asking "When will DxOMark test the 5D3?". Now that it's out, why the sudden hatred for DxOMark testing methods?

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads