Black Rapid clones...

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
rrwilliams64 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Black Rapid clones...

Popping up aplenty are seemingly identical copies of the various Black Rapid straps (namely the RS-4 and RS-5).

Odd, as BR, very protective, had a patent issue with Luma a while back which prompted the advent of the Luma Cinch. But my point being....anyone have any experience with any of these (Quick Rapid, Caden, etc?..they are a fraction of the price.) Part of me is already agreeing with the anticipated reponses "I wouldnt trust my gear hanging from a $15 strap". BUT...price isnt always indicative of quality or dependability.... e.g. Domke Grippers and Op/Tech can be had for circa $20, just curious if the market has caught up w/ BR and their perhaps overpriced product(s) have a legit market alternative. I'm seeing BR clones for around $15-$20, havent seen any posts on various sites re: the same. Anybody have any first hand experience?

...check eBay for Quick Rapid to see my point

rrwilliams64's gear list:rrwilliams64's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,388
Re: Black Rapid clones...

Chances are those clones are made at same exact factory as the real BlackRapid stuff, and usually sold on sites like Ebay directly from China, out of BR's legal reach. I actually ordered from one of them a delay/interval/long exposure remote for my camera, which is indistinguishable from the $60 unit at B&H, and cost me only $25. It took about 2 weeks to arrive.

bobby1781 Regular Member • Posts: 230

you can make one yourself for $8 or from spare parts, so mass producing them and selling them at $15-20 doesn't sound strange.

Advertising and marketing get added into the product too, even though they do not ad a single advantage to the product.

It's just like monoprice and their straight from china products. A lot of times its the same product on store shelves, without the brand name printed on them and 1/10 the cost.

In the end...its nylon and steel... not fluorite glass

Strappy
Strappy New Member • Posts: 2

Glad you brought this up to be honest. Been looking at a few BR straps myself wondering if they're genuine or not!

Thanks for the heads up!

-- hide signature --

Earning and learning

rrwilliams64 OP Junior Member • Posts: 27

took the plunge, dropped a $12 investment....;-D sure LOOKS identical, I do believe BR is making a $hitload....plus the Luma Cinch was $70, still a hefty amount. My Domke Gripper strap suffices, but was looking for a over the shoulder, tripod attached swing to shoot setups. Will letya know, seller on eBay was cheery_wang, the strap I ordered was "New Quick Rapid Camera Sling Strap". I also get a 1/4 connector adaptor also ($4-5 on eBay)

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more

UPDATE- Black Rapid was very diligent here in copyright/patent protection, as eBay shut down the listing. Seller has contacted me to assure item has been shipped irrespective. We'll see....I may have slipped under the wire and gotten basically same product for $12.....

Dickymint1964 Junior Member • Posts: 45

And that why there are so many Americans, and Europeans out of work...because you want to save a few dollars !

Thats why the world is flooded with lower quality rubbish and manufacturing has all but gone from the west.

Sorry for the rant, but I will buy British or American if I can, even if it costs more.

The tragedy is that most of what I buy comes from The rip off country of China, and I don't have a choice....

Shame

Dickymint1964's gear list:Dickymint1964's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Black Dot Bob Regular Member • Posts: 139

This is my preference for Black Rapid Strap................

touche

sigh......do your homework and research how BR was given a patent for a technology shown to be years in the market. So they can make a 400% profit? they're based out of Seattle,..uuhhhhhh... look at their product backflow and design components and see where they're ordering their raw material from. Think its the "US or the UK"? ....definitely not. wake up to the global economy, take off the rose colored glasses. While you're at it, where are your camera and gear manufactured? China. Japan. Thailand.

Please....everyone's entitled to their .02 and opinion, but your position is weak and difficult to defend.

Sanjay Kalra New Member • Posts: 1

That would make some sense if the US/Euro strap was made where US/Euro jobs were involved. You would rather pay $75 for one made in China but marketed here instead of the identical one, likely from the same production line, that was listed at $15 direct ex factory. I would suggest the decline and fall of western economies is based on irrational thinking and unfocused blaming just like yours.

ernstbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,570

A three year old, never used, account revives a four year old thread.

Funny things happening here.

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +27 more
Ellis Vener Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332

rrwilliams64 wrote:

Popping up aplenty are seemingly identical copies of the various Black Rapid straps (namely the RS-4 and RS-5).

Odd, as BR, very protective, had a patent issue with Luma a while back which prompted the advent of the Luma Cinch. But my point being....anyone have any experience with any of these (Quick Rapid, Caden, etc?..they are a fraction of the price.) Part of me is already agreeing with the anticipated reponses "I wouldnt trust my gear hanging from a $15 strap". BUT...price isnt always indicative of quality or dependability.... e.g. Domke Grippers and Op/Tech can be had for circa $20, just curious if the market has caught up w/ BR and their perhaps overpriced product(s) have a legit market alternative. I'm seeing BR clones for around $15-$20, havent seen any posts on various sites re: the same. Anybody have any first hand experience?

...check eBay for Quick Rapid to see my point

I hate the sling strap design, but if you are going to buy one,  either get the BR or the SunSniper.

considering how expensive cameras and lenses are it seems both penny and pound foolish to try to save a few dollars on some copycat clone possible constructed of cheaper and less durable materials and built to lower standards.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
http://www.ellisvener.com
Free your eyes and the rest will follow. (With apologies to George Clinton.)

donaldsc Senior Member • Posts: 2,504
Yet Another Idiot Regurgitates a Dead Old Thread

WHY???

-- hide signature --

Don

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 19,752

You wrote a response to a 4-year old thread.  Is the person you responded to still around?

Ellis Vener Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332
Re: Yet Another Idiot Regurgitates a Dead Old Thread

donaldsc wrote:

WHY???

-- hide signature --

Don

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because other people might still have the same question? Or is that just an idiotic point to make?

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

nuke12
nuke12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,574

Sigh..... I've asked the DPR admin to lock inactive threads after 6 or 12 months but nothing so far. They have auto lock set on threads that hit 150 posts but old, old threads still keep coming back.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II +22 more
donaldsc Senior Member • Posts: 2,504
Re: Yet Another Idiot Regurgitates a Dead Old Thread

Ellis Vener wrote:

donaldsc wrote:

WHY???

-- hide signature --

Don

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because other people might still have the same question? Or is that just an idiotic point to make?

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Obviously the question is still relevant.  However, start a new thread rather than regurgitating an old out-of-date thread.  Do you really think that that person who started the 2012 thread or who responded to it really still care.

-- hide signature --

Don

3dwag
3dwag Senior Member • Posts: 2,376
Agree, with an example...

nuke12 wrote:

Sigh..... I've asked the DPR admin to lock inactive threads after 6 or 12 months but nothing so far. They have auto lock set on threads that hit 150 posts but old, old threads still keep coming back.

I agree with you. Locking a thread at 12 months would be at least reasonable. I have rarely seen where an ongoing issue in a thread took more than 6 months to resolve. Usually, if someone sees an old thread and feels a need to resurrect it, I think it's better just to start a new thread and reference the old one with a link -- that simplifies the interface and makes it easier for others to reply to a specific concern, rather than having to wade through a slew of other old comments to get some context, and it may force the new poster to take a bit more time to better contextualize (I think that's a real English word?) and specify the new question or comment.

I must admit that a few months ago I "accidentally" replied to one of those old posts because I had been distracted whilst reading the thread on my iPhone (a several years-old thread which someone had just replied to, so it rose to the top of the list). When I opened DPReview up again there was this comment, I didn't notice a date, and I replied. Embarrassing for me, and irritating to some others!

My bigger concern is that many of these very old threads seem to be mined targets of either software marketers or scammers, like the following example; they are usually a "new member" with only the one post, or with similar posts in several different forums touching on data recovery or corruption issues, and with a link which I would hesitate to click on, such as the one in this post from today: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58085119

I have no idea if this is legit or not, but it is highly suspicious.  There have been several of these types of posts in this forum during the past few weeks, all with a similar MO.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

-- hide signature --
 3dwag's gear list:3dwag's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon PowerShot S45 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 +26 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 19,752

nuke12 wrote:

I've suggested locking old threads automatically as well, it can be annoying.  9 times out of 10 there is no added value from the response that revived it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads