I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
SamuelPhillipsPhotography
SamuelPhillipsPhotography New Member • Posts: 1
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

The worst I ever get is the occasional lecture, from a guy at my church, on why Zeiss lenses are better. I've found it's best to just not talk photography with him, because no matter what you may say, his opinion is better. He's one who subscribes to the "the lens makes the shot" mentality. I say that a good photographer can take an excellent photo no matter what medium is used. One of my favorite shots is from a busted old A530 P&S.

-- hide signature --

I love cameras of all shapes and sizes.

 SamuelPhillipsPhotography's gear list:SamuelPhillipsPhotography's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot S30 HP Photosmart C215 +11 more
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 1,499
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

All I could really do was say "it doesnt really matter", and walk off.

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

I was yelled at because I was using an L lens on my 7D in Americana at Brand, Glendale.  When I asked the security guy who yelled at me, he said it's because I'm a pro photographer and thus I need a permit to shoot.  When I asked further why he thought I was a pro, he said "Well, you have a big camera and a lens with a red circle around it.  We were told those lenses are used by pros."  Yeah right!

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D +11 more
netgarden Forum Pro • Posts: 10,770
Try being a girl, lol....
3

I've once had a man try to grab my 500mm 1D4 gear and show me how to do the settings, assuming it must have been a mistake that I did have an L, because a girl just couldn't know how to shoot!!!!! I wish these big lenses were less conspicuous to the morons around here...;).

-- hide signature --
 netgarden's gear list:netgarden's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II +1 more
bronxbombers4 Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

All I could really do was say "it doesnt really matter", and walk off.

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

Unless he had the 24-70 II I bet your 17-55 gives you sharper corner to corner than his 24-70, especially if he was using the 24-105 which is blurry on FF edges on teh wide side....

As for L lenses, sure many are nice, I have many, but that said, my Tamron 28-75 is sharper than all three 24-105L I tried. And I sold my 17-40L after trying a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC. It really depends. OTOH the 70-300L is better than the tamron 70-300 vc or 70-300 IS non-L.  etc.

salamander1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
what sets you apart from the crowd?

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

All I could really do was say "it doesnt really matter", and walk off.

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

an "L" lens will set you apart from the crowd. it's your cover letterto the world. a cover letter to every unknown canonite lurkingĀ  in the shadows. what a ragingĀ  bitch this guy must have been, though... lol! hahaha! you gotta laugh at this and not feel offended. it's hilarious.

brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Canon straps DO suck.

Those straps come across as too branded for me, and I generally find them uncomfortable. It also reminds me of the guitar players who use the stock Fender straps. Doesn't mean anything to how well they can play or shoot at all, just looks too brand and comes off as green to me.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

 brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T10
BRUCEK56 Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

.........I had taken portrait pictures of a friends 12 year old daughter. He absolutely loved them. He was shaking his head admiring them and said "Wow.......that CAMERA sure takes a good picture"

Without skipping a beat I said "Yeah.......Im glad I was there to watch it take the pictures!"

He paused a second looked at me and burst out laughing.......realizing what he had sad. We both had a good laugh!

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

 BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon PowerShot G7 X Leica Q Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II +5 more
Dinsy Forum Member • Posts: 79
Tell him to get a life:

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

All I could really do was say "it doesnt really matter", and walk off.

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

Good photography is 10% the equipment and 90% the photographer.

yokochanie Regular Member • Posts: 163
Ansel Adams didn't have an L lens either
1

Ansel Adams didn't have an L lens either...I rest my case.

HAbba Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

I get the opposite - big camera, difficult to use (Canon 550D + 17-55).

Brought back memories:

Daniel: Miyagi. Hey, what kind of belt do you have?

Miyagi: Canvas. J.C. Penney. $3.98. You like?

Daniel: No, I meant...

Miyagi: In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants. Daniel-san, karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?

Daniel: I think so.

Hassan

 HAbba's gear list:HAbba's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
ATR
ATR Regular Member • Posts: 457
....Calvin didn't need L glass either!....

He did a great job!

mu55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

i've sold so many high end cameras to people who don't know what an aperture is it's embarrassing.
they've got cash to burn and someone has told them to get a full frame camera with an "L" lens

your also at a car show... (ie. bogan magnet)

 mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Paul McCarroll Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Less than believable situation.

If anyone ever mocks my gear, I simply point out it's far better than the guy holding it, but I enjoy what I do.

I'm content in myself.

 Paul McCarroll's gear list:Paul McCarroll's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
rocky01 Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Gearllust has legs that get up and walk around

Momotarou Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: New 24-70?

I do, but usually I am managing my 19 month old and do not want to keep grabbing for my camera, while also ensuring the kid stays in my grip lol.

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,711
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

The good thing (I guess) is no matter how much equipment you have, you'll still eventually have a stranger walk up to you and give you crazy advice.

At a basketball game a couple of years ago I started shooting with a 1D Mark III with a 300mm f2.8 and a 1D Mark IV with a 135mm f2. I was shooting from the stands behind the basket so the 135mm f2 is the perfect length and in this place you need to shoot at f2. You would think that much equipment would make any advice-giver back off. When I went down to shoot from the floor, I replaced the 135mm with the non-L 85mm f1.8 which works wonderfully at f2.

Apparently some guy was more interested in my lenses than the game. He came down asking what lens that was. I'm used to people asking "How many megapixels?" or "How many 'X' is that lens?" but this guy wanted to know specifically why I was using a non-L lens on my 1D. He was taken aback by my favorable opinion of the 85mm f1.8. He looked so shocked that at first I thought he was joking with me. No, he claimed to be "an accomplished nature photographer" and had been using "the Canon system" since the film days and asked why I didn't own the superior 85mm f1.2.

"I have one, the Mark II version. It's at home." Another look of disbelief. I tried and tried to explain to him that the AF motor in that lens is far too slow for sports but he simply wouldn't listen to me since an L lens can't be inferior in any way. He kept looking at that 85mm f1.8 on my 1D Mark IV as if I were desecrating the camera by screwing a Coke bottle to the lens mount.

I believe these people are victims of marketing. Maybe he was a great nature photographer and was unfamiliar with non-L lenses and assumed they were all bad lenses. At least he understood why I was shooting at f2.

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
bronxbombers4 Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
I was yelled at FOR using "L" glass.
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,229
Re: I was yelled at FOR using "L" glass.

bronxbombers4 wrote:

For using it to feed to a polar bear :-):

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/12/polar-bear-at-a-german-zoo-gets-its-paws-on-a-canon-70-200mm-lens/

Should have used black glass

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,229
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Scott Larson wrote:

The good thing (I guess) is no matter how much equipment you have, you'll still eventually have a stranger walk up to you and give you crazy advice.

At a basketball game a couple of years ago I started shooting with a 1D Mark III with a 300mm f2.8 and a 1D Mark IV with a 135mm f2. I was shooting from the stands behind the basket so the 135mm f2 is the perfect length and in this place you need to shoot at f2. You would think that much equipment would make any advice-giver back off. When I went down to shoot from the floor, I replaced the 135mm with the non-L 85mm f1.8 which works wonderfully at f2.

Apparently some guy was more interested in my lenses than the game. He came down asking what lens that was. I'm used to people asking "How many megapixels?" or "How many 'X' is that lens?" but this guy wanted to know specifically why I was using a non-L lens on my 1D. He was taken aback by my favorable opinion of the 85mm f1.8. He looked so shocked that at first I thought he was joking with me. No, he claimed to be "an accomplished nature photographer" and had been using "the Canon system" since the film days and asked why I didn't own the superior 85mm f1.2.

"I have one, the Mark II version. It's at home." Another look of disbelief. I tried and tried to explain to him that the AF motor in that lens is far too slow for sports but he simply wouldn't listen to me since an L lens can't be inferior in any way. He kept looking at that 85mm f1.8 on my 1D Mark IV as if I were desecrating the camera by screwing a Coke bottle to the lens mount.

I believe these people are victims of marketing. Maybe he was a great nature photographer and was unfamiliar with non-L lenses and assumed they were all bad lenses. At least he understood why I was shooting at f2.

With the 5d3 with better hi iso, wouldn't the 70-200 f2.8 L come back into play?  Though less fps than 1d, I'd think the zooms flexibility would win over the prime setup from the baseline.  Of course the 1dx and 70-200 would be the big winner with a second body and a 300 for the long side

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,711
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

MAC wrote:

With the 5d3 with better hi iso, wouldn't the 70-200 f2.8 L come back into play?

I can always shoot f2 and get cleaner shots at a lower ISO with any camera. Why throw away a stop of light?

Also a 70-200mm f2.8 is a lot of weight. I use it mostly for volleyball but I switch to the 135mm f2 during the third set. I always get more great shots with the 135mm.

More importantly: backgrounds! One venue is small (not much larger than the basketball court) and tends to have distracting junk like ladders everywhere. I need to throw that stuff out of focus as best I can.

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads