5D3 light leak, Canon's response to my query.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999
5D3 light leak, Canon's response to my query.

Below is the e-mail response I got from Canon regarding the 'light leak phenomenon'.

Further to your enquiry we would like to inform you that we very recently (in April) have become aware of this and is now a known issue with the EOS 5D Mark III model. The AE sensor in the camera detects the light from the LCD panel when it is turned on and the exposure value will be altered. The change is not significant as it will be altered by approximately 1/3rd of a stop but can be noticeable. You can continue to use your 5D Mark III and the LCD screen can be turned off to receive the correct exposure.

Canon is now examining the countermeasures and once the countermeasures are finalized we will post the information on our website. Until then please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again/

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,625
Re: 5D3 light leak, Canon's response to my query.

Rather more edifying than this response I got from Canon Australia today ...

There is no firmware upgrade to cover that issue at this stage; please check the following link for updates
--
http://www.grahammeale.info

Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,499
Light Leak and You

Please describe situations where this has directly affected you and has had a negative effect on your photography, at least enough to warrant emailing Canon.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 +10 more
BigG30 Regular Member • Posts: 472
Why should that make a difference?

Doug MacMillan wrote:

Please describe situations where this has directly affected you and has had a negative effect on your photography, at least enough to warrant emailing Canon.

The product is defective, there are consumer laws to be upheld regardless of the impact on someone's photography.

KAllen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

Well I never, progress at least.

My response from Canon a couple of years back, after at least two colleagues had sent in cameras for the same fault and the internet was burning hot with the problem.

Canon "Your 1DsmkIII keeps not focusing, that's strange I've never heard of that problem before".
Well done Canon for acknowledging a problem and I'm not being sarcastic.

Kevin.

KAllen's gear list:KAllen's gear list
Sony RX1R II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Pentax K-1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +5 more
JaXen Forum Member • Posts: 69
Hasn't affected my photography, and likely never will....

...but that doesn't make the light leak issue "ok" for me.

If I had paid $400, it may have been ok.... but I expect better for my $4k.

Perspective

I'm trying to place the "defect" in perspective. I'm interested in the real world, how many photographers would be affected and under what circumstances.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 +10 more
schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Hasn't affected my photography, and likely never will....

Has anyone had a single exposure lost due to this .. er .. "issue"? I very much doubt it.

Re: Why should that make a difference?

BigG30 wrote:

Doug MacMillan wrote:

The product is defective, there are consumer laws to be upheld regardless of the impact on someone's photography.

I would argue wether it is defective, granted it is not the result you want or expect, but nothing has stopped working and do you need to shoot with the screen on?

I dare say if Canon wrote in the instruction manual, "turn off the LCD before shooting or taking a reading", legally they would be covered.

I can't see it being much of a problem and a third of a stop is not exactly the death bell for most images, I bet it's still more accurate most of the time than many cameras being sold, do we call them defective? What about a camera that is known to clip highlights easily, is that classed as faulty?

Sounds like one of theose internet blackholes that suck in all ranters from Canon and Nikon and those that want to show how precious and accurate they are with their photography.

If that's the biggest problem for the camera, I predict it will be a big success.

Kevin.

Sony RX1R II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Pentax K-1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +5 more
Peter Ulbrich Forum Member • Posts: 71

If it is really just 1/3 of an f-stop and only when using the display light at night for high iso shots, then I personally will not refuse delivery of my 5d iii next week and this is definitely a non-issue.

If the issue also occures in bright daylight, like sunlight onto the top of the camera and is more than 1/3 of an f-stop, then it is a different matter

Peter Ulbrich's gear list:Peter Ulbrich's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
MikeNeufeld30 Regular Member • Posts: 213

Would you by a bmw to have your sunroof open a 1/3 stop/way open? Oh sorry to inform you but when you purchased your 60000 dollar bmw, your headlights will dim? deal with it. I don't own a 5D anything but it is unacceptable..

MikeNeufeld30's gear list:MikeNeufeld30's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Shad0w Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Why should that make a difference?

I'd bet canon will release a firmware that makes sure LCD light goes off before metering / exposure etc starts. Easy fix! Not that it's an issue. I've not noticed any impact on any of my shots.

Its RKM Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136

birdbrain wrote:

The change is not significant as it will be altered by approximately 1/3rd of a stop but can be noticeable. You can continue to use your 5D Mark III and the LCD screen can be turned off to receive the correct exposure.

A third of a stop under what conditions? Presumably light enough that you can still read the LCD when the backlight is switched off, as recommended by Canon.

Even so, this light leak is trivial compared to the light injection that the 24-105f/4L lens produces. Not only has that remained unacknowledged and uncorrected by Canon for years, its the same lens most of the 5D3 light leakage moaners are using on their light leak tests!

http://forums.dpreview.com/...forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30846211

Good that Canon have acknowledged this 5D3 issue, but really, they have bigger problems that need to be addressed first!
--
Its RKM

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

MikeNeufeld30 wrote:

Would you by a bmw to have your sunroof open a 1/3 stop/way open? Oh sorry to inform you but when you purchased your 60000 dollar bmw, your headlights will dim? deal with it. I don't own a 5D anything but it is unacceptable..

Thanks for your extremely uninformed opinion.

You don't even own the camera for goodness sake! You really have absolutely no idea if it's "unacceptable" or not - and it seems to me that about the only people stating what you have stated are people who don't actually own the camera and are completely ignorant of the reality of the 'issue'!

henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 7,384
 henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Ken Phillips Forum Pro • Posts: 16,364
You would be VERY wrong ...

... if the "defect" is not dangerous and does not materially affect the use of the product, exactly what are your damages?

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,483
Re: Light Leak and You

Please tell us that this is normal camera behavior, to be expected, and preferable over the alternative Can you do that in good faith.

Or do you favor not telling Canon about their design mistakes?

Jeez. You are in no position to demand anything. He's doing us a favor by letting us know status, and you want him to not post?

Doug MacMillan wrote:

MikeNeufeld30 wrote:

What BMW actually do is charge you for a leather upgrade, but what you actually get is vinyl that looks like leather, which is fine until a year or two later the vinyl splits.

So using BMW as an example is as poor as your ridiculous example of a Sunroof opening.

It would be like taking seriously the opinion of someone with only a third of their brain working.

Kevin.

Re: Light Leak and You

I demanded nothing. I requested information.

As mentioned, I'm trying to put this problem in perspective. It would seem reasonable that someone who felt the need to contact Canon would have had first hand experience with the problem. I made a request for more information, the circumstances under which he had encountered the problem and the effect it had on his ability to capture the desired image. As a potential purchaser of a 5D III, I'd like to know how I should factor this problem into my decision.

I've garnered to following information from various sources, including Canon's release:

It happens under extremely low light situations.
It can affect the exposure by as much as 1/3 stop.
It is possible to turn the top LCD off. Doing so eliminates the problem.
Is the above an accurate summation?

tko wrote:

Please tell us that this is normal camera behavior, to be expected, and preferable over the alternative Can you do that in good faith.

Or do you favor not telling Canon about their design mistakes?

Jeez. You are in no position to demand anything. He's doing us a favor by letting us know status, and you want him to not post?

Doug MacMillan wrote:

Peter Ulbrich Forum Member • Posts: 71

Really liked the BMW comparision - let me add some humor here:

If you bought a 60 thousand bucks car and you want to open the sunroof - while at the same time you have opened you glove compartment and keep pressing on your car cigarette lighter permanently, your sunroof will only open 1/3rd of the way. As soon as you take the finger off the car cigarette lighter, your sunroof will operate normally and all the way.

End of humor

No, lets get serious: If it is pitch dark and I want to check what my camera is going to do once I press the shutter relases button and the display lighting will affect my exposure by 1/3rd of an f-stop, it will not matter a bit. I would want to set a manual exposure anyways - including for any effects I want to achieve, i.e. a bit longer/wider open or a bit shorter exposure, etc.

Then I would switch off ANY light (including the indirect lighting my BMW is supplying for the car cigarette lighter, even if the BMW is parked quite a ways from my tripod) and fire the shot

Peter Ulbrich's gear list:Peter Ulbrich's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads