5D MarkIII no power up

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions
luminol New Member • Posts: 23
5D MarkIII no power up

I have had my 5D Mark III and really enjoyed the way it operates and the picture quality. Used it at a wedding on saturday as a backup camera and it performed fine (focused pretty darn fast, exposure good, silent shutter a nice feature). Today powered up once and then it died. I tried 4 different batteries, different cards, lens. It will not power up. Going in for repair monday (less than month old). I have been a Canon shooter for 14 years and have had no significant issues. My 5D Mark II 's still cranking just fine after 2 years of use.

Not sure if others had the no start up issue like this. I also posted this in Error 80 post. I cant the chance having this happen during a photo shoot.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray Chen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,636
Re: 5D MarkIII no power up

That is unfortunate. Keep us updated on what is Canon's diagnosis.

-- hide signature --

_ _
| | | \ / |
| \ | | | | o

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
alien3333 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476

Did you use a third party battery? Just double check. 3rd party batteries can blow the fuse easily. It happen all the time. If you are using the Canon battery, then it is really weird that it won't power up. All the best.

-a

luminol wrote:

I have had my 5D Mark III and really enjoyed the way it operates and the picture quality. Used it at a wedding on saturday as a backup camera and it performed fine (focused pretty darn fast, exposure good, silent shutter a nice feature). Today powered up once and then it died. I tried 4 different batteries, different cards, lens. It will not power up. Going in for repair monday (less than month old). I have been a Canon shooter for 14 years and have had no significant issues. My 5D Mark II 's still cranking just fine after 2 years of use.

Not sure if others had the no start up issue like this. I also posted this in Error 80 post. I cant the chance having this happen during a photo shoot.

JLWPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 456

Same thing happened to me about 40 shots in. I returned it and got another that has been fine for over 2k shots.

Hopefully it is just some very isolated cameras... I'm hoping that after so many shots on the new one I'm safe.

John

JLWPhoto's gear list:JLWPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS M Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Nikon Z50 Sony a7C +28 more
OP luminol New Member • Posts: 23

I only use Canon batteries and lenses. I have two 5D MArk II's that are work horses. This lasted 2 weeks of light use. Its going back. I did not follow my rule (been in photo business for 14 years). Rule #1, wait 9 months on any new camera; get all the bugs worked out. Rule #2, always, always follow rule #1.

alien3333 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476

yes indeed a weird case, send it back to Canon and take a look why the fuse blown.

-a

luminol wrote:

I only use Canon batteries and lenses. I have two 5D MArk II's that are work horses. This lasted 2 weeks of light use. Its going back. I did not follow my rule (been in photo business for 14 years). Rule #1, wait 9 months on any new camera; get all the bugs worked out. Rule #2, always, always follow rule #1.

riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,874

ow do you know it is a blown fuse and not something else?

alien3333 wrote:

yes indeed a weird case, send it back to Canon and take a look why the fuse blown.

-a

luminol wrote:

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One
dokdok New Member • Posts: 2

luminol wrote:

Well you're not alone. My 5D mark III is barely one month old and it just died a few hours ago. Nothing particular happened it just died. I noticed it only when I tried to wake it up. The battery is full (original battery) but nothing happens, the screen remains dark, and of course switching it ON does not do anything. I'm trying to figure out if there is some kind of key combination that may reboot it but apparently the only thing I have to do is get in touch with Canon repair.

No need to say I'm very disappointed.

rndman Senior Member • Posts: 1,595

dokdok wrote:

luminol wrote:

Well you're not alone. My 5D mark III is barely one month old and it just died a few hours ago. Nothing particular happened it just died. I noticed it only when I tried to wake it up. The battery is full (original battery) but nothing happens, the screen remains dark, and of course switching it ON does not do anything. I'm trying to figure out if there is some kind of key combination that may reboot it but apparently the only thing I have to do is get in touch with Canon repair.

No need to say I'm very disappointed.

Oh Oh.

Is this some batch issue again...

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
kozelibe New Member • Posts: 5

I purchased my 5D Mark III in September '12. Three months later, in December, I had the same issue. No power or response of any kind from the camera. I spoke with Canon. I was told that this was a "serious problem". They emailed me a prepaid shipping label and the camera was repaired and back in my hands 8 days later.

According to Canon:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board did not operate properly. The circuit board was replaced. Product functions were confirmed."

Items replaced:

PCB ASS'Y, BOTTOM: CG2-3162-000

PCB ASS'Y, DC/DC: CG2-3217-000

CABLE, DCDC-BTM: CH2-8616-000

Repair was completed on Jan 11, 2013.

As of Feb 17, 2013 I have the same problem again. No power or electronic response what so ever from the camera. This is crazy.

For those of you who have had this same issue, were the same repairs performed on your camera?

WideAperture
WideAperture Forum Member • Posts: 78

Since your 5D3 is fairly recent.

Can you share the first 6 digits of your SN#?

WideAperture's gear list:WideAperture's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD

Why? Will you share any insite that provides?

OP luminol New Member • Posts: 23

I had returned mine the next day to the seller and they sent me a brand new on.  I have had no issues with the new one.

-- hide signature --

Luminol

WideAperture
WideAperture Forum Member • Posts: 78

Thanks i was trying to see any relation to the light leak issue.

Canon announced that the 6th digit of the SN# being 1 or 2 will need to be fixed.

So in your case, a different issue, and the 6th digit of the SN# being 4. Mine is 4 also.....

fingers crossed

kozelibe wrote:

Why? Will you share any insite that provides?

WideAperture's gear list:WideAperture's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD
Marek07
Marek07 Regular Member • Posts: 377

My 6th digit is 4 too, but it sounds like the others are isolated incidents.

Marek07's gear list:Marek07's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +2 more
nyc2012 Forum Member • Posts: 53

Would the bellow post be related to your topic? I am concern because I am interested in purchasing a Mark 3.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50907161

nyc2012's gear list:nyc2012's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D +2 more

No. That is a completely different issue. The camera in the video is clearly on. You cannot turn my camera on. Period.

Canon quickly turned around my camera on the second repair of the same issue.

First repair (Jan 11 2013) notes:

According to Canon:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board did not operate properly. The circuit board was replaced. Product functions were confirmed."

Items replaced:

CABLE, DCDC-BTM: CH2-8616-000

Second repair (Feb 25 2013) notes:

According to Canon:

Items replaced:

PCB ASS'Y, SD: CG2-3186-000

PCB ASS'Y CF: CG2-3187-000

The repair are not identical. However, they are similar. I'm a little concerned this will again fail to properly address the issue. Do you think this warrants a call to Canon?

brightlight New Member • Posts: 10

Canon do not repair faulty Printed circuit boards so if the surface mount fuse blows on a printed circuit board the whole board is replaced.

Common causes of blown fuses are faulty memory cards and lenses. I assume that the lens contacts have been designed so the lens can be changed while the camera is still switched on but it is probably best to turn the camera off before changing the lens.

Jeff

The lens was not removed during either of these episodes. I can't really comment on the card. However, I'm assuming the Lexar Professional card I have is good. Canon has made no mention of either possible cause.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads