Pentax lens price increase coming to the UK as well

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
NorthwestF Senior Member • Posts: 1,040
Pentax lens price increase coming to the UK as well
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Pentax lens price increase coming to the UK as well

That's a shame to see as prices had started to move down on many lenses.

Looks like Ricoh are the new Hoya same old strategy...it didn't work then, it won't work now.

IMO it will only drive users to Sigma and Tamron or put them off entirely

DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,177

Hi;

Yes I notice this is starting to happen, Bristol cameras have raised the price of the K5 by £70 and lens prices have risen,although nothing like the hike in US prices!
--
Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Brentliris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,143

I've had a very aggressive case LBA in my first 3 1/2 years of buying DA ltd lenses for my K200D, even back then there was talk of lens price increases, so now I just will upgrade the last few stumps of my system the 15-20% increases I'm seeing at SRS for the lenses I am interested in now are only going to cause an overall increase of my complete kit of about 3 or 4%.

I think most longtime pentax users are likely in the same position as me, they can better absorb price increases. New owners of camera systems of any brand are on the other had being faced with a quite different reality..

You win some you lose some.

I don't know who the new well healed clientele of camera equiptment at DSLR levels are. But lets hope there will be enough of them out shopping for Pentax gear so the wheels can keep turning. Many say that if the lenses don't sell at the new prices that they will fall in price.. Maybe. or they are willing to shrink the top end of the brands sales and build up a series of more affordable lenses in a quality that matches the DFA 100 macro.. Not limited, not DA* but still more that good enough for most.

Brent

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax K100D Super Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Pentax KP +19 more
raylob Regular Member • Posts: 245

Bought a 21mm Ltd for £379 last week. This week asking price is £529!!!!! This is from an established UK dealer. Thats a £150 increase.
Ray

raylob wrote:

Bought a 21mm Ltd for £379 last week. This week asking price is £529!!!!! This is from an established UK dealer. Thats a £150 increase.
Ray

Good for you! I'm interested in that lens too. I'm doubtful if I'd pay 529 pounds for it. Even at 379 I'd really think twice. You can get an imac for what 1000 pounds!

I have a M 28 3.5 that will tide me over for now while I think things trough..

-- hide signature --

Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax K100D Super Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Pentax KP +19 more
exp1orer
exp1orer Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
just ordered 18-135 WR...

...after reading your post ...this lens was at £499 range when I got my K5 in August last year. it went down to £359 and remained in that range after Photozone.de released their not so favourable review about this lens. but after seeing a number of real life samples from this lens and the impending price increase...it's probably time to buy this lens and make it as my all around travel lens. thanks for the information.

-- hide signature --
Re: just ordered 18-135 WR...

You never regreat saving money on a lens you wanted anyway. A penny saved is a penny earned!

The great info on this site can save folks alot of money

-- hide signature --

TheChefs Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Re: just ordered 18-135 WR...

Well, the UK pound is weak, and it's getting worse. Same for Euro, I would say they will see a price hike as well.

As for Australia, the prices seem quiet reasonable for the first time in long time.
--
http://jarek.smugmug.com

TheChefs's gear list:TheChefs's gear list
Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more
raylob Regular Member • Posts: 245

Camerapricebuster.co.uk is a good site to monitor price fluctuations of photo equipment here in the UK. On the Pentax site there were four lens price hikes compared to the previous week. Price increases were not too significant but still going the wrong way ie UP!
Ray

mgm2 Contributing Member • Posts: 519

Well take a look at exchange rates over the past few years and the projected losses of Sony. Everyone will be raises prices.

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

mgm2 wrote:

Well take a look at exchange rates over the past few years and the projected losses of Sony. Everyone will be raises prices.

Not the point lens prices have been on the up for a while across makers (less so Tamron and Sigma though) but it's not are they up a bit, it's by how much

Pentax were just starting to get some decent prices on some lenses after years of Hoya induced lens price madness. I actually saw the 50mm f1.4 hit £400 at one time..which was completely stupid to say the least esp since everyone else had much better prices.

What Pentax need now more than anything is a company which is competent enough to deliver an attractive package for buyers across the range. That company was not Hoya, and going on recent developments it's not Ricoh either

It's not a case of "prices up" but Pentax can't afford to be uncompetitive in the market.

I'm just going to upgrade other things for a short pause. I'm after all getting the K5, which normally should be enough to quell gear lust for a time.

Instead of lenses I'm getting:

Macbook pro new version when it comes, for audio production and photo editing, travelling and photography these days really is best if you have a portable computer, to get a sense of your output. If your missing some angle or everything is starting to look to blah snapshoody

Filters Polarisers, ND, maybe an ND grad, Hoods for my Mf lenses. Maybe a new bag. All these things might make a bigger impact than just one new lens.

A MF tele. I'd like a sharper 200mm lens than the M200 F4

Then I may get the DA 21 limited as well but at inflated prices, there's just to many other elements I need to get, so the inflated prices make me rethink the sequence of acquisitions.. Ideally I would have the K5 with a new lens sitting pretty on it. But if not, then a cool takumar would be a worthy consolation prize.

-- hide signature --

essH Contributing Member • Posts: 876

raylob wrote:

Camerapricebuster.co.uk is a good site to monitor price fluctuations of photo equipment here in the UK. On the Pentax site there were four lens price hikes compared to the previous week. Price increases were not too significant but still going the wrong way ie UP!
Ray

Thanks for this reference - it makes very interesting reading (and not just for Pentax items).

I don't know how many UK readers have noticed, but SRS have just updated their website showing "last few at this price" for some of the lenses. I haven't checked the situation on those lenses NOT marked this way, but, seeing that the DA21 is listed at £499, one could assume that where they haven't put the note, it is already the new price. I suppose we'll just have to watch and wait. Bad times.
--
Simon

essH's gear list:essH's gear list
Pentax K-30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680

The prices have already started rising in the Eurozone and oddly, even the Sigma K-mounts have gone up 15-20% in the last few weeks (although their Nikon equivalents went down or stayed the same).

I think Pentax is doing this ahead of a further upscale move and perhaps a huge advertising assault planned around the K5's successor.

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

Having checked, the vast majority are no were near the price they were Jan 2011

So it appears to me no indication the UK prices are rising as a result of any change in strategy just normal flow and ebb of market rates.

No need to run for the hills just yet

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more

I went against my own logical thinking that I would wait with buying any lenses for a time and snapped up one of the last few DA 21 ltd at the old price! Now my slightly lurching reverse logical plan is to cut all other expenditures to the bone for a time and just get out an shoot. Once the whole gear setup is in my hands.. I expect a lurning curve. I am presently still limping along with the good ol K200D and my now "secret" set of lenses in the meantime.

I predict with this move that prices for lenses will soon be going back down again, cancelling my strategies effective-ness. A case of fooled ya! Once again. But lets face it, who needs all the fancy ND's gizmos and whatchamacallits if you don't have the lenses?

Brent

-- hide signature --

Brentliris wrote:

I predict with this move that prices for lenses will soon be going back down again, cancelling my strategies effective-ness. A case of fooled ya! Once again.

Well, that could be true, but I really don't see it happening in the UK. It might be that either the discount structure has changed (meaning dealers have less chance to offer low prices) or the supply has dried up somewhat.

What I am half-expecting is that when Pentax next release something major they will sugar the pill somewhat with a rebate scheme.
--
Simon

Pentax K-30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8

essH wrote:

Brentliris wrote:

I predict with this move that prices for lenses will soon be going back down again, cancelling my strategies effective-ness. A case of fooled ya! Once again.

Well, that could be true, but I really don't see it happening in the UK. It might be that either the discount structure has changed (meaning dealers have less chance to offer low prices) or the supply has dried up somewhat.

What I am half-expecting is that when Pentax next release something major they will sugar the pill somewhat with a rebate scheme.
--
Simon

I've lived in a counrty for many years "Denmark" that somehow seems to be totally of the charts as to costs of living and of luxury items. It seems the whole retail structure here has becomed geared toward certain sale periods in the year where prices appear to drop 30% epecially on clothing, but pretty well across the board. Living here all this years I still haven't really adjusted to the ebb and flow of sale periods and non sale periods.

As far as luxury items like cameras, audio equipment, and such like, I find it much easier to wait for a sale period though.

As far as prices falling after the recent price increases in the States and less so in the UK, I feel quite sure they will be adjusted downwards at some point one way or another supply and demand does it's duty, this of course depends on general economic trends..

I don't think that many that feel they always need the best of the best are necessary hampered by learning to work with less expensive gear that nonetheless in practiced hands can produce results of a very high quality.

This middle ground of DA 55-300, DAL 35 2.4, The soon to be released DAL 50 1.8. The DA 18-135 are all good to great performers coupled with a great camera body and used with creativity and vision, and a good sense of the basic principles of photography. Understanding the subject matter and so on, I don't think there's much to fear of losing because you not running around with a set of FA limited, or big DA* zooms.. Honing skills is more important than all this gear in the end..

Good Luck

Brent

-- hide signature --

Brentliris wrote:

Honing skills is more important than all this gear in the end..

Yes indeed!
--
Simon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads