why MAC?

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: why MAC?

Besides the elegant interface and the fact that peripherals work with ease, the one point I always make is the superior proprioception with the mouse cursor. You are in a different ballpark. Of course, as tech keeps trying to take away one of the most powerful information processing interfaces in human history, the humble computer mouse, for waving our fingers in front of our field of vision to do work, one wonders ...

Anthony McCallister Contributing Member • Posts: 916
Resale value

Quotes:

2007 MacBook Pro: $900
2006 Sony Vaio: $ 37

-- hide signature --

Mac

Anthony McCallister's gear list:Anthony McCallister's gear list
Sony RX100 III
webfrasse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,917

Edvinas wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Edvinas, can you define industrial design for the rest of us? Furthermore, what makes you the judge?

It's the device designed to be used in industrial environment.

Feel sorry for your limited understanding...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_design

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

-- hide signature --

Mikael

probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: Because you asked.

Of course thinkpads were/are beautifully built - had modular bays so you could add another harddrive or optical drive at will. ethernet connections, usb3, rs232, hdmi, blueray. They don't need a dongle everytime you dingle.

look - I use macs - I like the not lion OS and my software is mac oriented - but they really aren't the holy grail - and what was once elegant design is receding into a dour greyness.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +3 more
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739
Re: Because you asked.

probert500 wrote:

Of course thinkpads were/are beautifully built - had modular bays so you could add another harddrive or optical drive at will. ethernet connections, usb3, rs232, hdmi, blueray. They don't need a dongle everytime you dingle.

Agreed. But the same points apply to Macs, there are a lot of parallels. Thinkpad was designed for a purpose which required research and innovation which were then protected by patents and copyright. Not only the stuff you mention, but things like fingerprint readers and other security devices that were essential for many intended users, along with higher reliabilty and lower weight. These required custom parts, chips, drivers and integrated software to help make them all work together, and it made them the go-to choice for executives handling sensitive data and needing to run corporate windows Apps.

All of these extras were what set the Thinkpad apart from other PCs, and it all came at a price. It's the same model as Apple has done but for a different set of intended users. I used a Thinkpad for suit work, and a PowerBook for media.

look - I use macs - I like the not lion OS and my software is mac oriented - but they really aren't the holy grail - and what was once elegant design is receding into a dour greyness.

No one claimed holy grail. And the design and innovation isn't stopping, it's going on right now. Everyone has an opinion to argue on design, but what can't be argued is that Apple continue to win lots of awards for their products. Like these from this years best Laptops from PC Advisor:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/laptop/3340349/apple-wins-pc-advisors-best-high-end-laptop-of-2012-award/

-Najinsky

Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,642
There is no such thing as "a PC"

Pick Mac and you pick a complete system. Pick Windows/Android/etc. and you have a myriad of choices to make.

The Mac complete system is powerful and very convenient. The Windows/Android/etc. choices means you will have do some research and trying things out. You can get better solutions for a greater variety of user types at a lower price in every aspect of HW and SW than what is available in the Mac system, but you can also make mistakes if you are not knowledgeable, well advised and willing to keep on top of new developments. Also, with Apple's huge purchasing power, the latest components (such as displays) are usually available in the Mac system several months before they are available from the myriad of Windows/Android vendors.

Take your pick; obviously there are plenty of people for whom each approach is better than the other. Don't believe anyone who says one choice is better than the other for everyone.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
dmcrescent Junior Member • Posts: 34

Like many, I started in DOS, then Windows. I bailed on Windows about 8 years ago. I've thought about going back to PC from time to time, but I always think back to drivers and the registry and come back to my senses.

By your description, I don't think there is a good reason for you to switch. You seem quite content with your PC. It sounds more like you are being sucked into all the Apple hype and think you might be missing something.

With Windows you were buying a Corporation. With Mac you were buying Steve Jobs vision. Now that he's passed on, I wonder what will happen to my beloved Mac.

OP Rhine1 New Member • Posts: 6

everyone thank you very very nuch for your coments. I enjoyed the reads and understanding more about the MACs

Rhine.

PowderMaggot Regular Member • Posts: 132

Your take-home lesson remains "Mac", not "MAC" or "MacInTosh".

Anyway, in your case it really doesn't sound like there would be much reason to switch.

Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Because they are better.

You will be part of the mac community and be able to speak Appleze. You will be able to share in the joy of owning a status symbol, and looking down on everyone else who has a PC. You will be able to show you are intellectually superiority by your choice in Mac. You will be able to reaffirm your buying decision spending a lot more for a mac that does the same thing as a PC. You will have a support group to to reassure that your purchase of a mac that costs twice the price was better than having that new lens you wanted.

You will be able to tell you friends you have Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 even though you don't have a single peripheral to plug into those ports. You will be able to extol the virtues of a display that is superior, even though most of your friends will not be able to tell the difference.

LOL, just kidding. Macs are just better because they cost more and you would be stupid not to buy one. Everyone else who does photography has a Mac.

Rhine1 wrote:

hello everyone,

first and foremost I posted a question on the PC board asking why one would go to a MAC after using PC for many many years.

This post here goes to you MAC users (maybe more to ones that have some over from PC in the past few years)

My question is simple..why would I switch to a MAC? My PC runs fast, have the software I need/want paired with a high res 30" monitor I get the grafics (that MAC has always had an edge on pc's in the past) but really why would I go to a MAC?

I am in the market for a new computer now and doing the research

I do not play games on the computer I use it for Lighroom/photoshop

Rhine.

gaussian blur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459
Re: Because they are better.

Richard wrote:

You will be able to tell you friends you have Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 even though you don't have a single peripheral to plug into those ports.

Nonsense. There are lots of FireWire 800 peripherals. I've been using FireWire 800 for something like 8 years.

You will be able to extol the virtues of a display that is superior, even though most of your friends will not be able to tell the difference.

Then they're blind.

Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858

gaussian blur wrote:

Richard wrote:

You will be able to tell you friends you have Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 even though you don't have a single peripheral to plug into those ports.

Nonsense. There are lots of FireWire 800 peripherals. I've been using FireWire 800 for something like 8 years.

You will be able to extol the virtues of a display that is superior, even though most of your friends will not be able to tell the difference.

Then they're blind.

It was a joke.

But as for Firewire 800, not very usefull

http://randomfactsandstuff.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-firewire-800/

Because there are so few devices, to make it usefull you have to convert it to a 400..
http://www.macworld.com/article/1038675/_ake_our_ire_ire_800_orts_se.html

If you do double blind tests of displays, where they are not side by side (which no owner of one of the other would experience anyway) most of the population will see little difference, and they are not blind.

Keith Pulver Regular Member • Posts: 409

Why Mac ?

Because I am easy to please... the Best Is Good Enough
--
Thanks,
Keith
The Ox is slow...but the Earth is patient.

Keith Pulver's gear list:Keith Pulver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha a7R II
DiploStrat
DiploStrat Contributing Member • Posts: 787

Richard wrote:

Because there are so few devices, to make it usefull you have to convert it to a 400..

This statement is simply silly. I have been using FW 800 devices for years. The articles you quote date back years and would have been more appropriate for USB 1.0 vs. 2.0

There may be many reasons someone might pick a PC, usually having to do with corporate policy and legacy software, but I have to wonder if you have you ever actually used a Macintosh? (Other than pushing a few keys in a store.)

Your comments about it being a status symbol are equally silly - some of us were using Macs decades ago when the market share was even smaller, etc., etc.

Now, if you wanted to opine that a given software package was virtually the same on either platform and if the person in question was already familiar with the latest version of Windows, and if they had legacy software that they had to run (or even if they were in love with QImage), then you might be making a valid argument. But for someone coming from Windows XP, I would suggest that the transition to OSX would be no greater than the transition in the Windows world. And your old hard drives, keyboard, mouse, and monitor will plug right into a Mac, if you should so choose.

-- hide signature --

DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
tajhad Regular Member • Posts: 101

I do not play games on the computer I use it for Lighroom/photoshop
Rhine.
Boy - you like to walk into a Bull's field waving a red flag !

But then again - if you don't ask , you don't get a variety of opinions. I asked this very same question 3 years ago , for the very same reason. I did photography , needed to replace my laptop and was curious to see if a Mac was better for photography.

What I discovered. Was it better for my photography ? I don't think so - but I discovered a lot of other things I liked.

• The OS is 64 bit - therefore can run Photoshop etc in 64bit. With Win - you have to specifically buy the 64 bit version.

• A choice of useful programs. IPhoto is built in ( not great but useful for some things) as well as iMovie. You can use Aperture ( only available for mac) as well as Lightroom/ Photshop or Photoshop Elements, which you can get for both.

• The other things come down to personal choice. I found that I liked the Mac for a lot of other reasons that are subtle but make the experience easier. At first I thought the OS seemed too simple and almost " dumbed down" until I realized I got on with what I wanted to do rather than played with settings. Now I love the system.

• You can also run both systems if you really need to (easily). A lot of people have had to use Win for other reasons (work etc). Runs very easily.

• It's all machinery - so they all have break downs. But on the whole I have found them more reliable ( I now administer 30 Macs - only 2 have given me issues). having the OS and hardware from the same mob makes any diagnoises of issues easier.

In your case I would see no real reason to switch. It's a shame you couldn't borrow one to see if you like the system. It's really only by using one that you really know.

gaussian blur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459

Richard wrote:

But as for Firewire 800, not very usefull

http://randomfactsandstuff.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-firewire-800/

That article isn't even close to being correct.

He claims FireWire has compatibility issues, hogs energy and what is the most ridiculous claim, that FireWire requires a minimum of 45 watts. All wrong. Very wrong.

The reality is that there aren't any compatibility issues, it does not hog energy and the 45 watts is a maximum and far more than USB can provide. I can easily run two bus-powered drives off one FireWire port, whereas USB can barely run one.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1038675/_ake_our_ire_ire_800_orts_se.html

That article is eight years old .

There are lots of FireWire 400 & 800 devices, and from what I'm hearing about the NAB show going on right now, there are a lot of Thunderbolt devices in various vendor's booths.

If you do double blind tests of displays, where they are not side by side (which no owner of one of the other would experience anyway) most of the population will see little difference, and they are not blind.

Have you done such a test? Can you cite someone who has? Didn't think so.

linetest Regular Member • Posts: 308

Richard wrote:

You will be part of the mac community and be able to speak Appleze. You will be able to share in the joy of owning a status symbol, and looking down on everyone else who has a PC. You will be able to show you are intellectually superiority by your choice in Mac. You will be able to reaffirm your buying decision spending a lot more for a mac that does the same thing as a PC. You will have a support group to to reassure that your purchase of a mac that costs twice the price was better than having that new lens you wanted.

You will be able to tell you friends you have Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 even though you don't have a single peripheral to plug into those ports. You will be able to extol the virtues of a display that is superior, even though most of your friends will not be able to tell the difference.

LOL, just kidding. Macs are just better because they cost more and you would be stupid not to buy one. Everyone else who does photography has a Mac.

This.
+1.
It truly is a superior computer.

Edvinas Senior Member • Posts: 2,812

Richard wrote:

Two completely ridiculous statements. Your "joke" part, on the contrary, was very true.

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +5 more
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,642
because these Mac/PC threads always degenerate into Fan vs. Flame

Inevitably.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Toranaga Forum Member • Posts: 80
A different view...

I have used PC's for 15-20 years and have allways built them my self. I used to be very geeky and into performance and gaming. But in recent years things like low noise, design and footprint (how much space does it take) have become very important to me because my "office" is actually in my living room.

The main reason I had for switcing to a 27" iMac was because it is extremely quiet and looks amazing. Also you do not need the big ugly tower besides your desk. I have built PC's with HUGE CPU coolers to minimize the noise, but nothing was ever as quiet as my iMac. The ONLY noise is makes during normal use is the harddrive. If my 2TB 2nd drive spins down (my main system drive is SSD), it is absolutely whisper quiet.

I am really impressed with how Apple made such a powerfull all-in-one that is SO nice too look at and so quiet.

Originaly I was not really looking to use OS X, and was expecting to install Windows 7 using boot camp, but I fell in love with OS X and never installed Windows and have not missed it. With i7 and SSD the iMacs now offer amazing performance and are a joy too work with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads