About those nasty feeling OM-D buttons...

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,493
About those nasty feeling OM-D buttons...

I haven't got mine yet, so this is based on the reviews.

There are two ways to make a button weather-sealed.

You put a rubber seal around the button, like my now sold D3. You get a good feel, but it is quite expensive to do and sand and muck can caught in the seal and cause the button to jam. Easily blown/picked out, but a pest in mid shoot.

You put a rubber sheet under the button, and make it hit a switch underneath. Makes for a manky feeling button, but is completely sealed. Also cheap.

Based only on the reviews, it looks like Oly did the latter. Suits me - I'm fed up with jammed buttons. And for what it is, the Oly is very "competitively priced" (unkind to call it cheap).

So, assuming I'm right, it is what it is, as ever. I can live with cheap-feeling buttons.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,140
Exactly Louis..

Shooting with the E3 and E5 I've been used to that for years now. I don't even notice it.

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Me too

I'm more concerned w how the camera is going to fit my hand than if the buttons are a little rubbery.
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,707
What can you do?

It is what it is... I'll decide whether it's a problem when I get to try one.

Considering the advantages of weather sealing, I doubt it will be a deal breaker.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
P S Senior Member • Posts: 1,391
Louis, are you back for the OMD? I thought you gave

it up for the D800. Is it belivable that E-M5 has better DR (in RAW) than D800? According to the same review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent

-- hide signature --

PS

P S's gear list:P S's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +13 more
acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: About those nasty feeling OM-D buttons...

Seems to be option 2, at least i cannot see visible seals (like o-rings) around the buttons.

They do feel slightly wobbly but imo this is nothing you can't get used to. The problem is more related to a combinatin of very small and slightly wobbly. I have relatively small hands and slim fingers and i am able to hit the buttons but someone with bigger hands and larger fingertips might have problems.

Compared to E-3/E-5 buttons they are smaller on the E-M5.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II
amalric
amalric Forum Pro • Posts: 10,839
Re: Louis, are you back for the OMD? I thought you gave

P S wrote:

it up for the D800. Is it belivable that E-M5 has better DR (in RAW) than D800?

Indeed he has no shame at all, he always runs to the winning side, ramblings forgotten

Am.

-- hide signature --
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,493

D800 is expensive, the shooting season is nearly over, and it is back-ordered. No hurry. Autumn. Also, in the Summer when the hills are dry and the beaches are full, I tend to switch to bike shows as a hobby, so maybe by then I'll have forgotten all about it

OM-D due next week. I could cancel. I probably should cancel. Bet I don't though!

No, I don't believe for a moment it will match the D800 for DR. And the D800 has amazing res that no 16MP camera can match as far as I can see. But it is huge, heavy, conspicuous, and has no movable screen. I'd not dump MFT for it - it's a second camera, and I'm probably certifiable for even considering it

P S wrote:

it up for the D800. Is it belivable that E-M5 has better DR (in RAW) than D800? According to the same review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Louis_Dobson
OP Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,493

I can't be bothered to go check, but the E3 buttons were fine as far as I remember...

acahaya wrote:

Seems to be option 2, at least i cannot see visible seals (like o-rings) around the buttons.

They do feel slightly wobbly but imo this is nothing you can't get used to. The problem is more related to a combinatin of very small and slightly wobbly. I have relatively small hands and slim fingers and i am able to hit the buttons but someone with bigger hands and larger fingertips might have problems.

Compared to E-3/E-5 buttons they are smaller on the E-M5.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,162
I practiced with my C5050...

which is fairly close in size although thicker than the EM-5. It's a size I really liked....

It's also got me back to looking at a carrying with a prime, a la Pany 20/1.7 or the like. That would fit in a jacket pocket or cargo pants pocket.

"The best camera you own is the one you're carrying..."

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
mingoid Forum Member • Posts: 55

Hey, my first computer was a ZX Spectrum, I can live with rubbery buttons...

Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,769

Rubbery feel in exchange for good sealing is something I can live with. But that review mentioned that they sometimes had to press more than once to make a button work?! That would be not so good. No one of the owners mentioned any issues yet, though.

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

i checked (E-5 vs E-M5)

The round buttons are smaller and have slightly less resistance. If they are OK on the E-3 they will be OK on the E-M5.

The Fn1 and the Play button have a different shape, are placed too close to the display, feel more wobly and have almost no resistance.

-- hide signature --
 acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II
Fotoloco Contributing Member • Posts: 847

If Louis is certifiable than so am I. I have a D700 and EP3 and am headed towards having a D800 and an OMD. I think they are the perfect combo, but first I am getting the 75 1.8 when it comes out and the Nikon 24PC-E and the Nikon 300 F4 with TC1.4

Glass first so maybe the two bodies after my bonus next March.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,532

The feel of pressing the buttons seemed okay everytime I have played with an EM-5. They are tiny though. Using those 2 top rear buttons is hampered a bit because the screen sticks out a lot so they are sort of recessed.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

lowincash
lowincash Contributing Member • Posts: 717

Well I just got back from the camera store and played around with their E-M5 demo and I had no problem with any of the buttons at all nor problem with the lug location. Maybe I'm not as picky as others lol I gotta say tho, the camera is TINY. A lot smaller in person than I thought. Still felt comfortable in the hand though. Can't wait till mine comes lol
--
I only shoot JPEG =]

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
My favorite camera

As far as size and fitting the hand, was my C-2100UZ... only issue was that long nose that didn't retract or come off... made it nearly impossible to fit into a pocket.

The OM-D + pancake should fit nicely in a pocket... and grip can be added for use w longer lenses.
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
So what does a 'nasty feeling' button actually feel like?

Does it leave brown slime on your finger?

Does it deliver a pinprick?

Does it cause warts?

Is it worth another $300 on the price to get rid of the nasty feel?

In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty far down the list of things to complain about. If that's the critique du jour, then I expect great things from my EM5... if it will ever get here...

Chris_R Regular Member • Posts: 328

When reviewers start to talk about the buttons for about a paragraph and a half, I think we must have a pretty darn good camera here.

Cheers
Chris

P S Senior Member • Posts: 1,391
I was thinking the same. If that is the only

negative they can talk about... I can't wait to get my hand on mind!!!
--
PS

P S's gear list:P S's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads