D800 in Canada ??

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
coreyh Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Chengs Camera Saskatoon

Went into Chengs Camera, Saskatoon last week. Asked him if he had any d800's. He asked me how soon I needed it. I said right away. 1 week later, I have a d800 beside me. Po Cheng was awesome to deal with. He actually wanted my business unlike most of the bigger stores I called.

He kept me up to date during the week with many phones calls pertaining to the status of the d800.

Anyways, worth giving him a shout to see if he can get any more. He shipped to me in Northern Saskatchewan, so maybe he will ship elsewhere in Canada.

Cheers

coreyh's gear list:coreyh's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
YbqR93 New Member • Posts: 9
Received from McBain Camera

(Trying to post this again -- must have done something wrong.)

Picked up my D800 today (May 1) from McBain Camera Edmonton. Had ordered Feb. 8 and had been told that I was approx. #20 on the waiting list. Didn't need to pay a deposit, but I've bought stuff from them before. They are getting some D800 bodies in, but their waiting list is growing faster than they are getting cameras. Anyone who hadn't pre-ordered in the first couple of weeks of February will be likely waiting until mid-May/June. Serial number is just under 5001000. Battery is not in the batch that was recalled.

So excited! Just waiting for the battery to charge...

Zwiggles New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Vistek update, May 1st

Garry Pederson wrote:

Is that 8 for one location or chain wide?

If it makes you feel better, I think that cameras are starting to flow in. I ordered mine the morning after the announcement from Vistek, so I thought that there were many people ahead of me, but I got a shipping notice on Monday. I was getting ready to hang in there for the long haul, but it didn't happen. I thought that I was at least 50-70 of the waiting list. CanadaPost should have it to me on Friday...

TorontoUser Junior Member • Posts: 45
Merkle

Ordered Feb 7 but still waiting. They have had a few come in, but only one (to NPS) in the past three weeks. Hopefully soon.

TorontoUser's gear list:TorontoUser's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Soleillune New Member • Posts: 9
Re: D800 in Canada ??

Anyone got their D800 from The Camera Store in Calgary?

I placed my order on Feb 10th and still waiting.

directo Forum Member • Posts: 98

I ordered minutes after it went online. Non NPS. Haven't received mine.

8man Regular Member • Posts: 236

Any body got D800e from Henry's in Ontario?

Takobo New Member • Posts: 17

So, they are not yet fulfilling feb 7 non-NPS orders? we are now like 5-6 weeks after the 1st shipment. unbelievable.....

directo wrote:

I ordered minutes after it went online. Non NPS. Haven't received mine.

espanel New Member • Posts: 15

I just called Aden a few minutes ago trying to pre-order. they suggest i wait it out for nikon to ship the "fixed" units. I don't know what they're referring to but it's very interesting.

Also, they told me they don't know how many units they get every time nikon ships and that even Nikon itself does not know how many they will ship.

espanel's gear list:espanel's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
ronbill Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Received from McBain Camera

YbqR93 wrote:

(Trying to post this again -- must have done something wrong.)

Picked up my D800 today (May 1) from McBain Camera Edmonton. Had ordered Feb. 8 and had been told that I was approx. #20 on the waiting list. Didn't need to pay a deposit, but I've bought stuff from them before. They are getting some D800 bodies in, but their waiting list is growing faster than they are getting cameras. Anyone who hadn't pre-ordered in the first couple of weeks of February will be likely waiting until mid-May/June. Serial number is just under 5001000. Battery is not in the batch that was recalled.

So excited! Just waiting for the battery to charge...

Seems D800s are slowly trickling into McBain Camera. I was on the list for the D800 from McBain too via the Red Deer location, but down around #30ish chain-wide. They had 7 or so come in earlier this week but no phone call.

Not all bad news though - I was close to the top of the D800E list - chain-wide and apparently McBain only received one D800E this week. In a twist of fortune, the number one guy on the list passed on it due to funds being needed for some major travel.

So I got the call late today, paid the man and to make a long story short - I'll no longer have to stew over whether to buy the D800 or D800E.

ronbill's gear list:ronbill's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
bajwas Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

8man wrote:

Any body got D800e from Henry's in Ontario?

I got it from Henrys Mississauga on April21

bajwas's gear list:bajwas's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Pentax K-1 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III +183 more
Sman6725 New Member • Posts: 10
Re: D800 in Canada ?? - Got mine yesterday

Ordered on Feb/9th. Got a called yesterday and picked it up right away. Charged it last night and ready to go.

Ordered from Golden Electronics in Richmond Hill.

Sman6725's gear list:Sman6725's gear list
Sony RX100 III
Okotoks_Photos Junior Member • Posts: 49
Nothing So Far...

Still no word from either of the dealers I pre-ordered from, on either the D800 or D800E...

On the other hand, with all of the reported problems and recalls on these cameras, maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

Okotoks_Photos's gear list:Okotoks_Photos's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Nikon AW 11-27.5mm AW 10mm +7 more
Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Re: D800 in Canada ?? - Got mine yesterday

Sman6725 wrote:

Ordered on Feb/9th. Got a called yesterday and picked it up right away. Charged it last night and ready to go.

Good for you! My D800 pre-order at Henry's has yet to be delivered. The Henry's store that I placed my pre-order also wouldn't tell me where I'm in the waiting list.

I've bought a 32Gb CF card, a couple of the 64Gb SDXCs, RRS L-bracket, etc. but no D800

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +50 more
Okotoks_Photos Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: D800 in Canada ?? - Four Months to Wait?

I was at The Camera Store the other day, and was trying out their demo D800 (which either has some serious focus problems, or the camera's settings have been really messed up by all the people playing with it...) and the sales person told me it will be at least four more months before they have any D800's available, due to all the problems Nikon is having with the camera. This is getting quite frustrating... I guess maybe Nikon isn't quite ready to play in the big leagues just yet...?

Okotoks_Photos's gear list:Okotoks_Photos's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Nikon AW 11-27.5mm AW 10mm +7 more
Frederico70x7 Regular Member • Posts: 305

I sold my Canon gear and was ready to jump to Nikon camp.

But after two months now, I gave up any more waiting and bought a Fuji X-100. I am as happy as in heaven. The little guy is a whole different animal that gives a different pleasure. I will keep shooting with it, though a little bit limiting, until the big boy arrives.

Frederico70x7's gear list:Frederico70x7's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +12 more
Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,167

I have m4/3 too! May be I should look at the OM-D E-M5 instead...

Or, just use the money I put aside for D800 and get a (use) D700 + a (use) 70-200VR II

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +50 more
northernpenguin Forum Member • Posts: 77

Four months for sales floor stock seems about right to me and also tells me nothing about pre order availability so I am holding out for my pre order. Nikon Rumors said "September" for new orders something like a month ago on their site.

Sman6725 New Member • Posts: 10
Re: D800 in Canada ?? - Got mine yesterday, back to Nikon after 1 day

I was very happy to received my D800. However, after a couple of pictures, I found a black spot on the same location of the pictures. Changed my lens did not help. Try to do the remove dust from the memu and did not help. I suspect it is oil that got onto the sensor during the initial shutter movements.

Anyway, it is back to Nikon for cleaning and I don't have the D800 anymore.

Sman6725's gear list:Sman6725's gear list
Sony RX100 III
systemguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
Got my d800 in canada

I ordered it in march, got it today.

Battery charging and the first thing I am going to do is check the left hand autofocus.

If it fails th camera is going back....

systemguy's gear list:systemguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads