Qimage - arghh

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions
Wes Keys Contributing Member • Posts: 754
Qimage - arghh

After bringing my B9180 back to life, I decided to try out the new Qimage Ultimate, and its new user interface. I just wanted to print a 12 x 18, with a 1/8 in border, on a 13 x 19 sheet of paper. After five and a half hours and six prints I've decided it either can't be done, or I'm no smarter than I was with the old user interface. Too bad; it's a great piece of software, and Mike Chaney is one of the most helpful out there, but I just can't seem to lick it.
--
Wes

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,232
Re: Qimage - arghh

After many years of using the old QImage with good results, I purchased Qimage Ultimate. While some things are the same, it took awhile to find out the new way of doing things such as rotating an image or choosing the output size.

If you tell us what you got vs. what you wanted to get someone here should be able to help out.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
jpegman
jpegman Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Go to Mikes video tutorial site ( http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/learn.htm ) and check out his video's. He specifically tells (and shows) you what I think you want to do.

Jpegman

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
jfh1945 Regular Member • Posts: 279

I just got going with Qimage again, and purchased the ultimate. So far, though, I am just piddling my way through it---

But, this post is an aside: how does one rejuvenate their B9180? Is their a good forum for it? Etc., etc.

Jim H.

-- hide signature --

cameras are almost as much fun as firearms:

A S&W M&P 340 equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight and loaded with Federal 110-gr .38 SPL PD ammunition weighs 15.8 oz.

jfh1945's gear list:jfh1945's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D80 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +6 more
kcbeatty Senior Member • Posts: 1,761

I may be old fashion but I always do my cropping and sizing in CS5. I would crop the image to 11.75 x 17.75 and then expand the canvas to 12 x 18. Then I can tell Qimage to place the image in the corner of the paper. That way I only have to trim 2 sides of the paper. I never have worried about trying to get Qimage to do the cropping and sizing on a single print or even a few at a time.
--
Kevin

Roy Sletcher
Roy Sletcher Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

Wes Keys wrote:

After bringing my B9180 back to life, I decided to try out the new Qimage Ultimate, and its new user interface. I just wanted to print a 12 x 18, with a 1/8 in border, on a 13 x 19 sheet of paper. After five and a half hours and six prints I've decided it either can't be done, or I'm no smarter than I was with the old user interface. Too bad; it's a great piece of software, and Mike Chaney is one of the most helpful out there, but I just can't seem to lick it.
--
Wes

Hi Wes,

I am a long time user of Qimage, and have followed many threads here and elsewhere about the product.

Based on my observations I would suggest you:

1: Contact Mike Chaney about this matter. He is very accessible and usually responds the same day, or early following day. He takes great pride in the software behaving correctly and will go to great lengths to solve problems with his software. His email address is on the Qimage website.

2: I have no idea what a B9180 is. But seem to recall in cases where this type of problem has arisen in the past it was due to problems with the printer driver supplied by the printer manufacturer, and there was nothing that could be done in Qimage. From time to time people offered various workarounds. I don't know how effective they were. Are you using the latest driver for your B9180?

Just trying to be helpful.

Roy Sletcher

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,497

jpegman wrote:

Go to Mikes video tutorial site ( http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/learn.htm ) and check out his video's. He specifically tells (and shows) you what I think you want to do.

Jpegman

Do you (by chance) know which of the 28 that part is in. If not, a lot of watching and hunting to find the applicable part.
--
Vernon...

DavidH202 Senior Member • Posts: 1,552

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=gMzUxDP_JwM&vq=hd720

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=dZcgbrdf5eA&vq=hd720

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=a_EMXlbIJC8&vq=hd720

unless you use borderless printing methods with your 1/8 " borders there will always be excess paper at the edges that will need to be trimmed to size, or place your image without the borders, 1/8" from the edgeof the paper using the page editor (next to last icon on the print preview side)
set your paper size
use the custom size dialogue with cropping on to set your print size
use compact placement on the print placement dialogue box

use the page editor to move the print to the upper left corner and use your arrow keys to place the image 1/8" from the left and upper edges.
you will have to trim the bottom and right hand borders

DavidH202's gear list:DavidH202's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +25 more
jpegman
jpegman Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

jpegman wrote:

Jpegman

Do you (by chance) know which of the 28 that part is in. If not, a lot of watching and hunting to find the applicable part.
--
Vernon...

You might learn something watching these - I know I did. I think the ones for your issue is:
1. Paper Size and Printable Area
2. Sizing on the Fly, and
3. Centering Prints on the Page

That should put you into the 24 minute range, and after 5-1/2 hours of time already spent, wasted paper and ink should not be too much to learn how to do it right the 1st time.

Jpegman

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,497

DavidH202 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=gMzUxDP_JwM&vq=hd720

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=dZcgbrdf5eA&vq=hd720

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=a_EMXlbIJC8&vq=hd720

unless you use borderless printing methods with your 1/8 " borders there will always be excess paper at the edges that will need to be trimmed to size, or place your image without the borders, 1/8" from the edgeof the paper using the page editor (next to last icon on the print preview side)
set your paper size
use the custom size dialogue with cropping on to set your print size
use compact placement on the print placement dialogue box

use the page editor to move the print to the upper left corner and use your arrow keys to place the image 1/8" from the left and upper edges.
you will have to trim the bottom and right hand borders

The main issue for this is NOT Qimage. Qimage uses the Printer Drivers and (it appears) the Drivers seem to have a "Mind of their own". Also, different Epson printer Models (can't comment on other Brands due to NON usage) have different Maximum printable areas for the same size papers. Example: for using 13 x 19 paper on the Epson 2200 and the 3880 -- these have two different maximum printable areas. I am NOT discussing Boarder-less printing since I never use Border-less printing.
--
Vernon...

Ramonn Regular Member • Posts: 122

Is is possible to address your problem using the Canvas size function in Photoshop?

I am not a regular Photoshop user but can you select a 12 x 18 size image, open canvas size and select 12.25 x 18.25. Wouldn't this result in the 1/8 inch border you want? Are you then going to use a stroke border to define and distinguish the image and its 1/8 inch border on the 13 x 19 sheet of paper?
As I may be totally off here, comments by others would be greatly appreciated

E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

I did not test it here on the B9180 but in normal printing mode on my other HP models a 5mm print margin at three sides and a 12mm or more at the trailing edge is created in normal driver mode for sheets. Your 1/8" inch border is just too small for that. Borderless printing mode is not available for every paper choice in the driver. Qimage Ultimate has I believe also a borderless function but I never used it so can not tell what it does. If borderless can be used then you should use the sheet size (minus trailing edge print margin possibly) and use a 1/8 Qimage border, not the border+ choice but the other one. Not done that but I expect it is the right approach.

Someone else"s request; on B9180 resurrections; see the Yahoo B9180 mailing list.

-- hide signature --
Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

But the goal was to print 12x18 on 13x19 paper. So there is plenty of room on the paper for the desired border and for the printer's minimum margins.

From your description of the B9180 minimum print margins, I think the problem is related to the non-symmetrical printer margins (5mm on 3 sides, and 12mm on one side).

I ran into that when printing to sheets on my Epson 7900 and had to ask in the QImage forum.

The answer is to go to the Page Margins options (Edit/Preferences/Print and Page Formatting/Page Margins) and click on the Center on Physical Page button.

That centers the image on the piece of paper rather than center within the printable area.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Kurt Sonderegger Contributing Member • Posts: 541

Tom-C wrote:

But the goal was to print 12x18 on 13x19 paper. So there is plenty of room on the paper for the desired border and for the printer's minimum margins.

The answer is to go to the Page Margins options (Edit/Preferences/Print and Page Formatting/Page Margins) and click on the Center on Physical Page button.

That centers the image on the piece of paper rather than center within the printable area.

Tom is right-on here. I printed a lot of 12x18 on 13x19 paper with my old B9180. I used Qimage Pro and then the Studio Edition. All you need to do is center the 12x18 image on the 13x19 sheet. This leaves 0.5 inch margins on all sides and I mat my prints with an 1/8-inch overlap of the image. I use 16x22 frames.

If you don't care to mat and just want the 1/8-inch white border, simply trim down the margins to 1/8 inch. Trying to get margins to print out exactly to such a small dimension is a waste of time. Buy a good paper cutter with the money you'd spend on wasted paper and ink.

E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

Tom-C wrote:

Tom

I did not dig into the imperial sizes deep enough then nor did I check the B9180 specs, nobody did the last BTW. If that image + the 1/8" borders fit within the sheet size minus print margins then he would not have a problem I think. He seems to have a problem. 13 x 19" = 330,2 x 482,6 mm. Borderless has no print margins so no issue there. Rigid sheets, top paper insert I guess, have a 14 mm print margin at front and trailing edge and 3 mm left-right (HP docs). That leaves 454,6 mm possible image space which is just short of 18", 0.11 mm actually. So if he prints just the image without borders and use Qimage's fit to page the image will be 0,11 mm too short but there is ample space for the 1/8 borders in the print margins. I do not think the 0.11 mm will be an issue.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads