Having briefly owned the D800 and the 5D3....

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions
Faintandfuzzy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,328
Re: What will the store do with a D800 with 400 shots?

Don Karner wrote:

I assume you don't care though.
--
Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

You presume he has even held a D800.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Ghozer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,863
Re: You quoted KR, So I ignored the rest of your post. "NT"

It was a joke, Doug!

Doug R wrote:

That's an outright lie, you have known of KR sense at 2008 when you commented on him in FM. Can't even defend you idol with out a lie tisk tisk.
--
Doug

-- hide signature --
 Ghozer's gear list:Ghozer's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +10 more
aman74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002
Re: Having briefly owned the D800 and the 5D3....

DocS wrote:

aman74 wrote:

DocS wrote:

First: the 5D3 is significantly more comfortable to hold than the D800. I know people say it’s a matter of preference, but not in this case.

Hmmm, it's not possible that one or the other may be more comfortable depending on someone's physiology?

You mean anatomy. Not physiology.

No, I meant physiology.

Human physiology is the science of the MECHANICAL, physical, bioelectrical, and biochemical functions of humans in good health, their organs, and the cells of which they are composed. In simple terms "Human Physiology" is the study of the BODY and its functions in each of the different systems in any living body.

I believe I said “unless they have small hands” in reference to anyone who’d find the D800 more comfortable.

Yeah, so what. That's your only qualifier? All large handed folks who like it are lying, according to you.

Second: Ken Rockwell described the D800 as “ergonomically primitive”, and I agree with him completely. The D800 is a box with buttons and switches all over it. The 5DMk3 is much sleeker in appearance. It’s also not as bulky. Of course, this is something you can see from photos.

You do realize menus are part of the ergonomics right? So you contradicted yourself immediately.

I consider menus to fall under ‘accessibility’, but that’s just me. I’m talking about the layout of the buttons and the general appearance of the camera.

That is just you. Ergonomics relate to how something functions and that isn't restricted to physical interactions only. Also, appearance has nothing to do with ergonomics either.

Fourth: the AF on the Canon is better. Of course, the lenses I used on the two are quite different. With the D800, I used the 28-300VR with Silent-Wave motor. I have the 5DMk3 kit with the 24-105 L lens. The Nikon 28-300 is not a particularly fast-focusing lens, and given the fact that it has a much wider zoom range, its AF ability is somewhat diminished.

So, it's better and then you admit your test is flawed and means nothing.

I should have added one more sentence: the 28-300, as I understand it, could very-well have been a Nikon pro lens (i.e. with the gold band around it). In fact, if I’m not mistaken, a Nikon lens usually gets the gold band for having ED glass and better weather sealing...and perhaps a more rugged construction -- I’m not sure. I don’t think that a Nikon pro lens has a better Silent Wave motor than a non-pro lens. Am I mistaken on that point?

You're mistaken on comparing only two lenses and drawing a global conclusion regardless of said lenses, especially the ones chosen and with only a cursory evaluation.

Fifth: the shutter on the Nikon sounds tighter. Quite frankly, it sounds better. It’s a distinct, tight mirror slap and that’s it. The 5D3’s shutter/mirror makes somewhat of a clanging sound, as if a bunch of parts are moving out of sync. HOWEVER...the 5D3 is quieter, even when not in silent mode. The D800’s mirror slap is pretty loud and there’s no silent mode.

It does have a quiet mode.

Fair enough. But does it actually work?

From my understanding it does, but isn't overwhelming in it's effectiveness.

I’m quite happy with the switch. I know I got the better camera AND the better system.

How did you come to that conclusion? Hopefully not by anything you wrote here. I guess IQ isn't important.

Are you dumb or just illiterate? Did you not see that the comments I made were just immediate reactions to the 5D3 vs. the D800, and that I haven’t had the opportunity to take many photos with it?

Neither. You're the one who said you KNOW you got the better camera and system and then fully admit you haven't even taken many photos with it. To say one system is better than the other is foolish anyhow. Neither is better, that's quite clear. It would depend heavily on needs, usage, budgets, etc... As far as IQ, it's quite clear the D800 is better. That may not effect system choice as people are heavily invested and both companies are leapfrogging each other all the time. One or two superior bodies at any moment don't make one brand "better" than the other.

Thanks for dishing the personal insults as it only cements our thoughts about you from your previous writings.

Safesphere Regular Member • Posts: 149
Re: KR is a troll

riknash wrote:

Simply because mentioning his name makes him money. The financial success of his web site is geared towards having traffic and search engines reference his site. When someone mentions his name here, it helps the search engines to further direct traffic to his site. This make him money. Consequently this annoys those who view his opinions as irrelevant and shouldn't have the success he enjoys. Others feel that his opinions are extremely flawed. If someone references his opinions and others then respond with "I'm not gonna read your post because you referenced him", it is to mean that someone seriously accepted his flawed opinions and they want you to know it.

When you look at his home page, you have to credit him with managing to figure out the 21st century equivalent of begging for money on the eStreets.

Safesphere wrote:

So what is so bad that even mentioning his very name is a taboo here? Like one guy said, "you quoted KR, so i'm not even gonna read your post". This implies KR must be very wrong or something. I am just thonrstly rying to understand. Thanks!

Got it, thanks! But if I may ask a follow-up question, is this attitude towards him specifically because his opinions are wrong, or because he makes perhaps more than others in the field, or because he openly begs for money? Finally, is this attitude limited to him specifically or are there others like him or even many? Another site that comes up in any search is the-digital-picture dot com. Is it of the same type or different? Thanks again!

Fearless_Photog Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
Re: Having briefly owned the D800 and the 5D3....

This guy has been a huge troll on the Nikon pro bodies forum, I guess he's found a new home here. I wouldn't give much credibility to any of his reviews or user experience, a thread like this is a good example.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=41086407
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcullenphoto/

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: You quoted KR, So I ignored the rest of your post. "NT"

So close to the typical KR fan reply that I was fooled. My apologies to you sir.
--
Doug

riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,798

Safesphere wrote:

riknash wrote:

Simply because mentioning his name makes him money. The financial success of his web site is geared towards having traffic and search engines reference his site. When someone mentions his name here, it helps the search engines to further direct traffic to his site. This make him money. Consequently this annoys those who view his opinions as irrelevant and shouldn't have the success he enjoys. Others feel that his opinions are extremely flawed. If someone references his opinions and others then respond with "I'm not gonna read your post because you referenced him", it is to mean that someone seriously accepted his flawed opinions and they want you to know it.

When you look at his home page, you have to credit him with managing to figure out the 21st century equivalent of begging for money on the eStreets.

Safesphere wrote:

So what is so bad that even mentioning his very name is a taboo here? Like one guy said, "you quoted KR, so i'm not even gonna read your post". This implies KR must be very wrong or something. I am just thonrstly rying to understand. Thanks!

Got it, thanks! But if I may ask a follow-up question, is this attitude towards him specifically because his opinions are wrong, or because he makes perhaps more than others in the field, or because he openly begs for money? Finally, is this attitude limited to him specifically or are there others like him or even many? Another site that comes up in any search is the-digital-picture dot com. Is it of the same type or different? Thanks again!

I suspect this attitude is directed primarily at him and not so much at others. Its likely a combination of all that you have suggested. The human condition causes some of us to be jealous of his financial success as a self appointed expert with some obvious expressed opinions that illustrate a true lack of expertise in the DSLR gear photography field. Apparently this greatly irritates crusty old frustrated photographers which never learned how to exploit a revenue opportunity quite so well as he has.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One
To the OP....

....post some sample pics from both.

Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Safesphere Regular Member • Posts: 149

But how do we know he has any financial success at all? His website is free, no one in clear mind would donate, and no one may be ordering stuff throught his links. With all his efforts he may just be broke, no? What about people like Fred Miranda who charge for their website (where you sell stuff) and make money with no doubt?

Don Karner Senior Member • Posts: 1,283

That is a great point. What was I thinking?
--
Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Nikon D5300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

You can choose not to believe it, but then you'd be admitting you have no idea how sites like his can generate money.
He makes a good amount from that site, like it or not.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more

Shotcents wrote:

You can choose not to believe it, but then you'd be admitting you have no idea how sites like his can generate money.
He makes a good amount from that site, like it or not.

Robert

Sites like whom? The OP, Doc5, has no site, and therefore earns no money from a site. What are you talking about?

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471

I have no idea if his web site is successful or not, nor of his financial well being. I do know that he doesn't care if anything he writes is correct and often is not. He is an idiot and a little exploring on his site will make this obvious. Because the world is full of ignorant people who believe the drivel that he spouts his site lives on. I saw it on the internet it must be right. I think not.

An example of his Idiocy.

"AF is much more complicated, not necessary better than the original 5D and 5D Mark II."
--
Doug

Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 14,913

The most knowledgeable person in the world can still be a troll depending on his/her methods (defending my characterization, not anyone else's). I've read his website and I can't say that KR knows more about current Canon and Nikon equipment than I do, so, I recognize his glaring hyperbole. It can be mildly entertaining to read like People Magazine might be someone's guilty pleasure, but I do not find his articles to be hard core information.

Safesphere wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S +2 more
The OP has been banned (nt)
n/t
Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 542
New Low

-

A ten power zoom on a 36 MP body. - Thanks to DocS and Rockwell we have a new low in camera testing.
-

Dan DeLion's gear list:Dan DeLion's gear list
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads