The useless Pentax Q

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,392
Some people want something for nothing :-)

Keep waiting. I guess if the product falls you either find it go lower, or maybe higher in price as a collector's item

I am sorry but I don't think the Q is worth just $200

Yamin Tedja wrote:

Nice pictures, I will buy a pentax q when it priced around $200 :), right now it is still too expensive.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

DrugaRunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,741
Re: Some people want something for nothing :-)

The Q is £300 in UK right now, and well, as I got K-5 few months ago, I am about to buy it finally... but not in UK right now... hope to get it over next few weeks.

I liked the concept from the start except that it was a bit to pricey at the beginning, but at £300 I think it is an excellent deal, I just hope it does not go up 50% or more by the time I get there to buy it
--
common sense is anything but common

Brentliris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,447
Re: The useless Pentax Q

Great series of photo's. I think the photographer is a very important factor in the quality of these images..

The Q hasn't really been in my sights. But here I see you have done some great work with it. I shall consider this camera in the future if I need a small backup camera.

Thanks!
--
Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
Eric O Regular Member • Posts: 382
Re: Don't you realize the Q is just a toy?

stern wrote:

Don Kiyoti wrote:

Just what do you think you're doing? You can't use a novelty camera that way! Don't you remember being told over and over again by people who'd never seen the Q that the sensor is too small? You must not have been listening!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkiyoti/

Here is what that tiny sensor does in mediocre light with the 01 prime (first the original shot, then a 100% crop):

Those have nice detail but the chromatic aberration and/or purple fringing, especially at high contrast edges, is hurting my eyes!

stern Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

CA: Same here. Normally, I would have of course cleaned the picture up (would have taken me appr. 10 seconds) - but this gives you the real thing. Nevertheless, I find the Q impressive (and fringing in extremely contrasty situations occurs with other lens/sensor combos too, even with the K5).

-- hide signature --
 stern's gear list:stern's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +1 more
Some Easter Pictures (the Q in St. Jakob, Austria)

In the old church of the village where part of my family hails from an installation/exhibition was arranged over the Easter holidays. Its by an artist who commemorates the deportation of ethnic minorities under Nazi-rule in the 1940s (thats why there are barbed wire fences in front of the church and the pictures depict detention camp doors and doors of furnaces used to burn the dead bodies...). St. Jakob is in Carinthia, Southern Austria, and is home to a strong Slovene speaking minority of which many members were deported in 1942-1945. Of course, all pictures were taken with the Q.

-- hide signature --
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +1 more
Eric O Regular Member • Posts: 382

stern wrote:

CA: Same here. Normally, I would have of course cleaned the picture up (would have taken me appr. 10 seconds) - but this gives you the real thing. Nevertheless, I find the Q impressive (and fringing in extremely contrasty situations occurs with other lens/sensor combos too, even with the K5).

Quite so. My K5 and DA*16-50 do create/allow some PF that is more than Camera Raw can remove in certain very high-contrast situations. A couple of times with sunlit water flowing over rocks, the results were not keepers without a lot of manual cleanup. Fortunately this problem shows up very infrequently in my experience so far.

More Q….

JPEG out of cam, high contrast:

Cropped JPEG filter/cross processed mode:

Nuclear winter (from raw/cropped/contrast/white balance adjust)

Religion (cropped, high contrast B&W)

Walking the dog (cropped, from RAW):

Waiting for the bus (from RAW)

At Dolores park (from RAW):

Bird:

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
My new Q is useless.

My new Q is useless. It's still in transit and is sitting 150 miles from me right now. I should get it in the next few days.

I bought it to try experimenting with some long lenses like forum member snostorm (Scott) has been experimenting with.

Hmmmmm...let's see now. Nikon 400mm f2.8 on the Q, that's 2200mm. It should be fun.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

I find this amusing….

I showed a shot in mixed light at night at iSO 6400 that looks better than that.

ISO 6400!

I am sorry but that shot there doesn't strike me as a good example of what a tiny sensor does- but more like what happens when the photographer doesn't put the effort. The Q is hardly the only camera that in a situation like that you may see purple fringing. And that shot seems JPEG, which I am sure in edge situations like that a conversion from raw can be beneficial.

-- hide signature --

Re: I find this amusing….

Raist3d wrote:

I showed a shot in mixed light at night at iSO 6400 that looks better than that.

ISO 6400!

I am sorry but that shot there doesn't strike me as a good example of what a tiny sensor does- but more like what happens when the photographer doesn't put the effort. The Q is hardly the only camera that in a situation like that you may see purple fringing. And that shot seems JPEG, which I am sure in edge situations like that a conversion from raw can be beneficial.

You're right - it was jpg and one of my very first shots with the Q. Next time, I'll do better (RAW...)
Cheers,
Stern

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --
Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,782
Re: My new Q is useless.

brandrx wrote:

My new Q is useless. It's still in transit and is sitting 150 miles from me right now. I should get it in the next few days.

I bought it to try experimenting with some long lenses like forum member snostorm (Scott) has been experimenting with.

Hmmmmm...let's see now. Nikon 400mm f2.8 on the Q, that's 2200mm. It should be fun.

I ordered a K to Q adapter also but i'm probably weeks away from trying the bigma on the Q. 500 mm translated into 2750 mm but a tad slow on probably f8. I think it's fun on putting the Q with bigma on my gimbal head. I don't have the Q yet, probably end of this week. For macro i'm evenly excited.

Please post some results when available, because i'm curious.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

http://www.indots.nl

I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Richard...

Richard Smals wrote:

brandrx wrote:

I ordered a K to Q adapter also but i'm probably weeks away from trying the bigma on the Q. 500 mm translated into 2750 mm but a tad slow on probably f8. I think it's fun on putting the Q with bigma on my gimbal head. I don't have the Q yet, probably end of this week. For macro i'm evenly excited.

Please post some results when available, because i'm curious.

Hi Richard,

You might be interested in the following post by snostorm (Scott). See the link and then read the posts that follow.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads