The useless Pentax Q

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,743
The useless Pentax Q

or not useless but quite useful. Just wanted to post a few with it since many think you can't do much with it other than P&S.

ISO 6400 from two nights ago:

With the fish eye lens:

Like the Fuji X10 which was supposed to unilaterally and without any questions crush the Q, the Q can also do orbs:

Nothing against the X10- great camera too.

Some more high contrast Q of camera B&W

Portrait with prime 01 lens

Nice bokeh from that little lens

Panning around:

What about a sunrise:

The big wins to me of the Q are - a camera you can wear with pro photographer controls, unmatched ergonomics in its class and lots of creative opportunities along with the occasional conversation ice-breaker when you need it and invisibility when you don't, and a remarkable capable of drawing in its canvas in lower light than one may think.

A raw file that doesn't band, when pushed around.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,782
I ordered one today!!

Hmmm,

Good statement for the Q. I ordered one today in two kit outfit, the price was now OK (€ 545,00) . I'm still puzzled why i clicked the buy button because i already have the Pana LX5.

Hopefully i'm not disappointed...and i already have to many camera's

Thanks for showing your images.
--
Bye4now

http://www.indots.nl

I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Re: I ordered one today!!
 leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,743

Richard Smals wrote:

Hmmm,

Good statement for the Q. I ordered one today in two kit outfit, the price was now OK (€ 545,00) . I'm still puzzled why i clicked the buy button because i already have the Pana LX5.

Hopefully i'm not disappointed...and i already have to many camera's

Yes, it's actually best to stop buying so many, speaking for myself too I like you have the LX5. The LX5 is a fantastic camera. I would say what the Q buys you over the LX5 is better low light work, better ergonomic, ultimate small size in hand, lens options and a really well thought out feature set.

But the LX5 is also great. I need to sell mine.

Thanks for showing your images.
--
Bye4now

http://www.indots.nl

I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Alfred Contributing Member • Posts: 851

Your are not likely to be disappointed. You can cover in often surprising quality a wide range of shooting conditions. I am surprised time and time again.
http://alfredg.zenfolio.com/p815079642

The very first picture I took with it - incidentally with extremely high contrasts with the sun barely behind the clouds straight ahead:

-- hide signature --

• Alfred

Alfred's gear list:Alfred's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Olympus PEN-F Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8
soheil Senior Member • Posts: 2,989
Very romantic.

Q seems to do very well in b&w.--
--------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
soheil Senior Member • Posts: 2,989
You made me reconsider Q

Nice series. I should think again and get one.
--
--------------------------------

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
Re: You made me reconsider Q

soheil wrote:

Nice series. I should think again and get one.

Thanks,

To be honest, like all advice I give if I may- only get it if you see the value for your photography in it. At the end the photographer makes the photograph.

I just felt like too many said "too small sensor, waah!" without not really using it and knowing what it can really do.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

stern Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: The useless Pentax Q

Same here! The Q is my travel- and street camera when my K7 stays at home. Love it and haven't regretted buying. I think the (original) Q will become a cult camera. One B&W high contrast Q-shot from Penco (Chile):

-- hide signature --
 stern's gear list:stern's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +1 more
Don Kiyoti
Don Kiyoti Regular Member • Posts: 460
Don't you realize the Q is just a toy?

Just what do you think you're doing? You can't use a novelty camera that way! Don't you remember being told over and over again by people who'd never seen the Q that the sensor is too small? You must not have been listening!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkiyoti/

And some more B&W high contrast Q-shot from Penco (Chile):

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +1 more
Re: Don't you realize the Q is just a toy?

Don Kiyoti wrote:

Just what do you think you're doing? You can't use a novelty camera that way! Don't you remember being told over and over again by people who'd never seen the Q that the sensor is too small? You must not have been listening!
--

Here is what that tiny sensor does in mediocre light with the 01 prime (first the original shot, then a 100% crop):

-- hide signature --
Eli Allan Forum Member • Posts: 96

When the Q first came out I was pretty down on the concept, but it is growing on me. I am genuinely tempted to pick one of these up, now that the price has come down. I think the Q is a good start that might really gather a following as new models are issued. There also appears to be space to put a slightly larger sensor behind those lenses. Even a small sensor size increase could make this camera quite appealing. As far as build and controls it blows Nikon's 1 series right out of the water.

Yeah, I think I forgot...

to read the manual

Don Kiyoti wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

Here's what I would love to see….

but I am not sure Pentax will do it or it that it could be done at the same price:

• new sensor size of the Fuji X10 (as you said, it can be there)

• new tech etc. Bring the ISO 1 stop better. Richer colors at low iso.

• New lens at F1.2 or 1.0 if possible- same effective focal we have now- on the new slightly larger sensor. This last bit is what I am worried- not sure how feasible is that at that size and price. It would allow some DOF control for portraits better.

The idea is to get 2.5-3 stops full ISO's in terms of noise. The Q mount would sing pretty high if they did that.

Eli Allan wrote:

When the Q first came out I was pretty down on the concept, but it is growing on me. I am genuinely tempted to pick one of these up, now that the price has come down. I think the Q is a good start that might really gather a following as new models are issued. There also appears to be space to put a slightly larger sensor behind those lenses. Even a small sensor size increase could make this camera quite appealing. As far as build and controls it blows Nikon's 1 series right out of the water.

-- hide signature --

Looks like some people in the closet with the Q out there...

where have you guys been?

-- hide signature --

james45 Regular Member • Posts: 158

I absolutely love mine... It's a pleasure to use and a joy to hold.
The pictures are great from it. I take it places that I wouldn't take my k20.

They're also pretty cheap, now - and the reviews, mostly written when it was an £800 kit, said "great, fun, camera just too pricey" ... Well they ain't that pricey any more. Bargain.

Re: Here's what I would love to see….

Raist3d wrote:

but I am not sure Pentax will do it or it that it could be done at the same price:

• new sensor size of the Fuji X10 (as you said, it can be there)

• new tech etc. Bring the ISO 1 stop better. Richer colors at low iso.

• New lens at F1.2 or 1.0 if possible- same effective focal we have now- on the new slightly larger sensor. This last bit is what I am worried- not sure how feasible is that at that size and price. It would allow some DOF control for portraits better.

The idea is to get 2.5-3 stops full ISO's in terms of noise. The Q mount would sing pretty high if they did that.

Eli Allan wrote:

I'd like to see on the current model (doable by firmware improvements):

• focus tweaking

• electronic level (as a better alternative to the grid lines)

• improved battery management/life

...and on a Q2:

• electronic viewfinder option (would have needed one dearly yesterday in very contrasty weather) on the lines of the Ricoh GX series (VF1 and 2)

• dedicated AE-L button (now, I have signed the green button to do this)

... and in general:

• F 1.0 lenses (especially something wide; something like a 24-28 equiv.)

-- hide signature --
Alfred Contributing Member • Posts: 851
Re: Looks like some people in the closet with the Q out there...

Raist3d wrote:

where have you guys been?

Out and about - taking pictures!

I just added a full size copy to download that shows an aspect I like in particular: The picture, when printed to A3+ (13x19"), takes on a very nice depth (3D look) with good gradations. Probably the best film-like look I ever got from a small camera.
http://alfredg.zenfolio.com/p815079642/e2d4f530b

Exposure was taken as is, sharpening in camera reduced and then added back in Aperture. Levels remained untouched. Of course by starting from RAW and adding some PP artistry you might be able to improve very large prints even further.
--

• Alfred

http://alfredg.zenfolio.com/galleries_zenfolio

Alfred's gear list:Alfred's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Olympus PEN-F Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8
Yamin Tedja Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Nice pictures, I will buy a pentax q when it priced around $200 :), right now it is still too expensive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads