m.Zuiko 14-150 review

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions
miguelno New Member • Posts: 4
m.Zuiko 14-150 review

Hello;

After using this lens for one year and half, I have written my experiences with it in this site:

http://olympusmaniacos.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/mi-experiencia-con-el-mzuiko-ed-14.html

It is written in spanish, but you can easily translate it with google translator to the language that you wish.

I hope it can be helpful for anybody interested in this lens.

Regards.

perry rhodan
perry rhodan Senior Member • Posts: 1,683
Re: m.Zuiko 14-150 review

Hey, thanks for doing this! Really looking at this lens. Your blog is nice to read. Pity you have such small samples. Can you perhaps include some bigger?

left a note..

regards perry

OP miguelno New Member • Posts: 4

If you right-click on the photos to open them on a new page, you can see the photos at a bigger size (the biggest that blogger allows).

MirosIav Forum Member • Posts: 61

Hi,

Thanks for the review. I have the same camera - lens combination and I'm very satisfied with it.

One of the things that's bothering me the most can be seen in your pictures as well - yellowish/brownish tones that dominate images taken in bright sunlight with auto white balance, for example A+14.jpg and P9104416.jpg from your review. I correct that a bit by putting white balance on auto. Have you found some other solution for that?

MirosIav's gear list:MirosIav's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +1 more

I think that this can can be produced by the white balance in the camera, not by the lens.

In both photos that you point, the sky was absolutely cloudy, not sunny, and the lower part of the image was plenty of colour, so that the auto white balance may be got confused.

Nothing that can't be fixed in the computer with a bit of edition, anyway

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,962

Another 14-150mm plus E-PL1 user here.

It has become my most used lens, just so easy to use especially when being a tourist as things happen quickly and often there's no time to change lenses.

I use A mode and keep it on f/7.1 or f/8 where it definitely is best at the long end, wide open at the long end is noticeably worse than f/8.

IBIS off all the time if the shutter speeds allow it as IBIS adds a tiny amount of blur at safe shutter speeds.

I did buy the proper lens hood and I'm sure that it helps improve the image by reducing flare. This lens definitely needs a lens hood as I was plagued by flare and loss of of contrast originally.

Even with the lens hood on permanently so ready to use it still makes a small outfit that fits in an old snoot bag for lightweight travel, here with 9-18mm and a small Nikon flash and spare battery etc....

The 14-150mm is a very useful lens for travellers.

Regards............ Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
MirosIav Forum Member • Posts: 61

MirosIav wrote:

I correct that a bit by putting white balance on auto.

What I wanted to say was: "I correct that a bit by putting white balance on sunny".
Typo, sorry.

MirosIav's gear list:MirosIav's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +1 more
axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 1,811

Thank you for posting, that is a very useful review. Do you have any comment about image quality of the 14-150 versus the 40-150 at the overlapping focal lengths ? ( that is 40-150 ). I have the 40-150 and find my copy gives very nice results.

Thanks for your comment.

No, I have never used the 40-150, but I assume that its optical quality may be a bit better, because this lens is a less than 4x zoom, ald the 14-150 is more than a 10x ultrazoom, being the wide angle the most difficult to resolve.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads