light leakage reported for 5D MkIII

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
alleyehave Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: canonrumors

Damn it!! Does this mean this is going to dramatically affect my new progressive lens-cap-on shooting movement? Just when I thought this trend was getting traction I realize my $3500 camera absolutely stinks at this style! It's pictures would say otherwise though, check out the one I posted below:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm/2,8 ZE (Lens Cap ON, of course!)

Biff Stephens Junior Member • Posts: 49

I see banding!!!!

LOL Sorry I thought it was pretty funny!

I hope to order my 5DMKIII next week!

tmr Senior Member • Posts: 1,520

You've got a couple of stuck/hot pixels there! LOL

tmr's gear list:tmr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
alleyehave Forum Member • Posts: 50

Wait wait wait, on a serious note, you see hot pixels? I thought the image looked a little softer than my 5d MkII but I didn't notice any hot pixels!

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,446
Keep trying.

You're not convincing many so far.

The fact is, it is very marginal, there is no light leak to sensors, and it's easily avoided for anyone doing long exposure photography who would (a) almost certainly not rely solely on automatic metering, (b) would easily be able to turn off LCD backlight for long exposure, and (c) would almost certainly be committed to more than one exposure, later ones adjusted based on the results of the first.

With ANY camera, a sensible long-exposure photographer would shield the body from as much extraneous light as possible.

Even when I try to meter total blackness at the highest ISO I get a difference of about a third of a stop.

Show us ONE picture, with EXIF, ruined by this issue (and I mean, an image NOT an LCD screen). Then we might be more inclined to understand the need for drama queenery here.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
Blaven Forum Member • Posts: 51

In a forum splattered with the D800 is [insert subjective statement here] than the Mark III messages, it's nice to see somebody rising above such trivia, getting out there and using their camera to create memorable images. Unfortunately it looks a little soft in the corners. Naturally given that cost always equals quality it can't be the fault of the camera nor the Distagon. I suspect that your lens cap may not be optically flat. I'd sue or at least start a class action.

And yes my 5D III leaks. Do I care? No, 'cause I'm too busy making images.

Roy

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,446
Oh, and it seems ...

... Canon's "major" flaw worries Nikon users a lot more than Canon ones.

"What are you babbling about? I have owned and used following cameras: D40, D80, D90 and D300. I have never had a Canon."

Familiar?

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
altenae Regular Member • Posts: 377
Re: Oh, and it seems ...

Tried today outside with sun and shade.

With lens cap on the same issue as on the video

But WITHOUT the lens cap no issue.
Whatever I tried no issue !!!!

Conclusion NO problem for those who take pictures without the lens cap.
--
Enjoy Photography
http://www.wildlife-photos.net

Stepanfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
Re: Oh, and it seems ...

GaryJP wrote:

... Canon's "major" flaw worries Nikon users a lot more than Canon ones.

"What are you babbling about? I have owned and used following cameras: D40, D80, D90 and D300. I have never had a Canon."

Familiar?

Ahh, this is so sad. Please what has which cameras I have used in common with those 5 statements I wrote?

sapperlot Forum Member • Posts: 59
light-leaking definitely a problem

Uh, this seems to become a big drawback for Canon...

http://www.canonwatch.com/does-the-eos-5d-mark-iii-have-a-light-leaking-problem/

Stepanfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
Re: Keep trying.

GaryJP wrote:

You're not convincing many so far.

The fact is, it is very marginal, there is no light leak to sensors, and it's easily avoided for anyone doing long exposure photography who would (a) almost certainly not rely solely on automatic metering, (b) would easily be able to turn off LCD backlight for long exposure, and (c) would almost certainly be committed to more than one exposure, later ones adjusted based on the results of the first.

With ANY camera, a sensible long-exposure photographer would shield the body from as much extraneous light as possible.

Even when I try to meter total blackness at the highest ISO I get a difference of about a third of a stop.

Show us ONE picture, with EXIF, ruined by this issue (and I mean, an image NOT an LCD screen). Then we might be more inclined to understand the need for drama queenery here.

You nicely developed my statement 2 and you are in perfect agreement with it.

There is no drama present in any of my 5 statements.

Unfortunatelly I could not find "queenery" in any on my dictionaries.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads