light leakage reported for 5D MkIII

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
chironNYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,356
Re: This is a critical problem

Stepanfo wrote:

I think Canon will pull all the unsold cameras back to Japan for repair, and then exchange the already sold for repaired ones. Thanks to low intensity people do not have to be that alarmed and can patiently wait for the exchange, because otherwise the camera is usable.

So this will probably be bad news only for people, who wanted to buy this camera soon. They will have to wait some time.

Apparently they will then have to recall most of the digital SLRs they have made for the last 10 years since most models seem to have been taking terrible pictures due to the same problem. Then they will of course have to go out of business, our cameras will all be orphans, and we will all have to buy the new Sony SLRs.
--
Peter

chironNYC's gear list:chironNYC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III
Ogjetaknight Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: light leakage reported for 5D MkIII

It sounds like this problem could make it difficult to do banding testing.

birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525

JohnnyBlood wrote:

Somewhat unrelated, but I do think it is about time Canon add a viewfinder shutter to their 5D series instead of making photographers use that horrible piece of rubber on the camera strap to cover the viewfinder.

They do it's called the mirror and it's locked up when using live view.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
alien3333 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476

haha ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...
-a

Ogjetaknight wrote:

It sounds like this problem could make it difficult to do banding testing.

Stuart
Stuart Contributing Member • Posts: 713

My 1974 Alpa EL had an additional photocell at the viewfinder to subtract stray light from the overall meter reading. Many of the electronic meter cameras had shutter (covers) for the eye level viewfinder to avoid the backlight problem...the rubber cover on the neckstrap works too....I do not notice this problem on my Leica M8 & M9 or the Lumix G cameras. Hmmmm.... camera design affects performance...
Stuart

Stuart's gear list:Stuart's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II
tmr Senior Member • Posts: 1,520

Stepanfo wrote:

I think Canon will pull all the unsold cameras back to Japan for repair, and then exchange the already sold for repaired ones.

I can't see that happening and doubt I'd take them up on it if they did. No telling what gets messed up when they tear it apart to "fix" this. I doubt this is an issue Canon will ever address in the 5d3. Perhaps they'll add some felt backing in the 5d4 but maybe not.

tmr's gear list:tmr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
NikonForever Forum Member • Posts: 84

Yes, it is indeed an issue. I purchased this camera for low light shootings in events. It just arrived for a couple days, and I brought it to a hotel for an event shootings under ISO 3200 and above this morning, all pictures are under exposure comparing to my nikon D7000. I have decided to return it back to amazon and wait for another couple months to see what will happen from canon. Thank you for bringing up this issue so I won't regret to buy so expensive camera with defects.

Bill

NikonForever's gear list:NikonForever's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
Timarete Regular Member • Posts: 338

Stepanfo wrote:

I think Canon will pull all the unsold cameras back to Japan for repair, and then exchange the already sold for repaired ones. Thanks to low intensity people do not have to be that alarmed and can patiently wait for the exchange, because otherwise the camera is usable.

So this will probably be bad news only for people, who wanted to buy this camera soon. They will have to wait some time.

LOL. This is a 'problem' that nobody has been able to replicate with the lens cap off (which is how most of us tend to take photos ). I tried it myself and cannot get the meter to change at all in any kind of light when the cap is off. So I really don't see how Canon or anyone else will care about it.

birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525

NikonForever wrote:

Yes, it is indeed an issue. I purchased this camera for low light shootings in events. It just arrived for a couple days, and I brought it to a hotel for an event shootings under ISO 3200 and above this morning, all pictures are under exposure comparing to my nikon D7000. I have decided to return it back to amazon and wait for another couple months to see what will happen from canon. Thank you for bringing up this issue so I won't regret to buy so expensive camera with defects.

Bill

If it was indeed under exposing I doubt if it was the so called "light leak" problem. Blaming the under exposure you were experiencing on to that shows you have no real understanding of the problem, in fact I would say your conclusion is quite flawed. Perhaps you should stick to Nikons and the Nikon forums.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
altenae Regular Member • Posts: 377

Been testing inside the house (23:00 hours and pretty dark here)

With the VF covered and Lenscap on => Same issue as in the movie
With the VF covered and no Lenscap => No issue

With the VF covered and a very very very strong led beam beamed directly on the LCd and no lenscap => No issue.

So in short....no issue (for me) without the lenscap.
Strange enough I never leave the lenscap on when taking a picture
--
Enjoy Photography
http://www.wildlife-photos.net

I did a lot of tests last night after reading all in this forum and found my 5d3 does have the same issue even with lens on... so I doubt that reason.. I have sold my 7d, cannot compare with that, but I remembered my 7d didn't have such problem at low light shoots....

Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more

NikonForever wrote:

I did a lot of tests last night after reading all in this forum and found my 5d3 does have the same issue even with lens on... so I doubt that reason.. I have sold my 7d, cannot compare with that, but I remembered my 7d didn't have such problem at low light shoots....

Having the lens on makes no difference; it's the lens cap that matters. Take the lens cap off , and you will not be able to get the meter to move no matter what you do to the top LCD. The solution to this "problem" is really that simple: just take off the lens cap!

boudro_ Senior Member • Posts: 1,190
Eyepiece?

Don't all cameras do this? I seem to remember having to cover the eyepiece for long exposures because the light going into the eyepiece messes with the sensor.

boudro_'s gear list:boudro_'s gear list
Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX210 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more

I did about hundred shoots this morning, of course, with lens cap off. The under exposure occurs at high ISO such as 3200 above. The environment is like, light on camera side and dark on the target, so lcd sucks light in and affects the metering, even minor, but the under exposing is about 1 EV(3 stops).. very significant. if you have 5d3, I will be very interested in knowing the same tests on your unit.

Re: Eyepiece?

boudro_ wrote:

Don't all cameras do this? I seem to remember having to cover the eyepiece for long exposures because the light going into the eyepiece messes with the sensor.

That's different. Light reaching the sensor is a real problem. The 'issue' here is not a real problem. But no, not all cameras will exhibit this 'issue' with the lens cap test.

NikonForever wrote:

I did about hundred shoots this morning, of course, with lens cap off. The under exposure occurs at high ISO such as 3200 above. The environment is like, light on camera side and dark on the target, so lcd sucks light in and affects the metering, even minor, but the under exposing is about 1 EV(3 stops).. very significant. if you have 5d3, I will be very interested in knowing the same tests on your unit.

What you describe is an equivalent of shooting with the lens cap on. If your "target" is completely black, then there is nothing to photograph--there is no light coming in through the lens. I've tried high ISO tests myself where there was actually a scene to be captured, and I cannot get the LCD to make any difference in the metering.

what I meant was the target is darker than the position of the camera, in an event, you might stand in a lighter place, or under some light source, but the scene you are shooting is darker, try to block lcd and unblock it to see if the metering is frozen. if so, then your unit may be a good one. mine is not good, I am an event shooters mostly in the buildings so I need camera for low light shoots such as 5d3 advertised. d800 I think is for landscape and fashion, so 5d3 is still my choice so far, just not right now.. hopefully canon saw this forum and do something in the later batch. I do believe my old 7d doesn't have such leak problem, it is just not for low light as good as nikon d7000, that is all.

kimvette
kimvette Senior Member • Posts: 1,293

OpieSF wrote:

Pure FUD.

I cannot replicate this with or without a lens on the camera. And praytell, why would you worry about exposure jumps WITHOUT a lens on the body?

The purpose of testing with the cap off and body cover on is that it is a more controlled condition. Having the light in front of the lens change will affect metering as well. By installing the body cover you eliminate that variable.

I do see your point though; an even better test would be to construct a light box with controlled constant lighting (incandescent/halogen not fluorescent) and seal around the lens so no light from the flashlight can leak onto the subject, and no light from the lightbox can spill into the LCD or viewfinder; each is an isolated environment.

Install a cover over the viewfinder to control that light path, then watch the LCD as you turn the backlight on and off, hit it with a strong flashlight, and so on.

If however this leak is real and it is causing the shutter speed to be affected by a full stop, this is a pretty serious defect (20" to 10" is a full stop) and I doubt this is real, since Canon would HAVE to have caught this during testing.

-- hide signature --

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

NikonForever wrote:

what I meant was the target is darker than the position of the camera, in an event, you might stand in a lighter place, or under some light source, but the scene you are shooting is darker, try to block lcd and unblock it to see if the metering is frozen. if so, then your unit may be a good one. mine is not good, I am an event shooters mostly in the buildings so I need camera for low light shoots such as 5d3 advertised. d800 I think is for landscape and fashion, so 5d3 is still my choice so far, just not right now.. hopefully canon saw this forum and do something in the later batch. I do believe my old 7d doesn't have such leak problem, it is just not for low light as good as nikon d7000, that is all.

I'll have to wait until nighttime to test that, though I'm still very skeptical. I have to admit that a report from someone calling himself "NikonForever" does not exactly inspire confidence, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and will try to replicate a real world scenario like the one you described. So far, I've done a lot of testing and can't get the LCD to make a whit of difference in metering. If you have any test shots to share of this scenario you describe, it would be interesting to see them (to get a sense for just how dark your scene actually is).

Oh, and did you have the viewfinder covered while you were taking these shots you described? That would of course be necessary.

Kevin Layer
Kevin Layer Regular Member • Posts: 154

tmr wrote:

Stepanfo wrote:

I think Canon will pull all the unsold cameras back to Japan for repair, and then exchange the already sold for repaired ones.

I can't see that happening and doubt I'd take them up on it if they did. No telling what gets messed up when they tear it apart to "fix" this. I doubt this is an issue Canon will ever address in the 5d3. Perhaps they'll add some felt backing in the 5d4 but maybe not.

After watching this thread and taking a deep breath and understanding what's going on, I'd say for sure I would not send back my new (just about 24 hours old) 5D3. It's not an issue for me and never will be. I went to a farmer's market today and got a bunch of great pics. I really love this camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads