X-Pro1, camera with no market. No sports, low light, not small

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,522
X-Pro1, camera with no market. No sports, low light, not small

The X-Pro 1 is a great camera with no market.

Worthless in dark rooms, won't AF, will hunt
Worthless for sports and fast moving subjests
Not small, not a great travel camera, and no zooms or reach lens

Good for dermatologists but so is a DSLR

Same frontal area as a Nikon D5100, but you lose the fast AF, lenses, dark room AF

Seems to me it is an enthusiast camera. That Amazon Prime won't sell out is a warning the first day.

IQ same as DSLRs at half the price.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
driftingbunnies New Member • Posts: 14
Re: X-Pro1, camera with no market. No sports, low light, not small

trollin' trollin' trollin'. keep those comments rollin'

fluxism Contributing Member • Posts: 567

why do you even bother?

fluxism's gear list:fluxism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
wild05kid05 Regular Member • Posts: 152

thread should be closed lol.

JSTB Regular Member • Posts: 262

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

driftingbunnies wrote:

trollin' trollin' trollin'. keep those comments rollin'

miniTO Regular Member • Posts: 239

What a joke... I guess the fact that Canon lost me as a customer and Fuji gained me really proves there is no market.

Shootaman Regular Member • Posts: 135

you are a photo pervert

Shootaman's gear list:Shootaman's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 7,950
You should buy one...
Teski
Teski Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
As always

You're insights are just so dead on. $5 says you have one on order or will have one in your possession soon to add to your collection. I'd love to have you lay out the 'market' for each and every one of the cameras you have.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Teski
Photo-A-Day project - http://www.blipfoto.com/teski
Professional site - http://www.tedescophotography.com

Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha a7R II +8 more
bkxmnr Junior Member • Posts: 41

While the OP's tone does seem a bit 'trollish', does anyone who has used the camera know if his points are valid?

chopsteeks Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

I myself though OP made some great points...

bkxmnr wrote:

While the OP's tone does seem a bit 'trollish', does anyone who has used the camera know if his points are valid?

zlatko Regular Member • Posts: 401

Well, thank goodness if it is an enthusiast camera ... a camera for people who are highly enthusiastic about photography! An enthusiast camera is a beautiful thing. Who really cares what the first day's sales are?

photo perzon wrote:

Seems to me it is an enthusiast camera. That Amazon Prime won't sell out is a warning the first day.

Larken Regular Member • Posts: 107

recurring pattern of the OP - make some disparaging comments about a camera that doesn't make any sense to any discerning reader, garner responses from well meaning posters who take him seriously, then call people who call him out on being a troll, "forum bullies who probably beat their families".

did I miss out anything?

my advice: don't feed the troll.

itairom Regular Member • Posts: 436

But what about the skin tones?

junyo Regular Member • Posts: 321

bkxmnr wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

The fact that there's an hourly poll of X Pro availability on this forum, and that it stayed in the Amazon top 10 of compact system camera would tend to indicate this is wrong.

For at least some folks, this is not true:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=40922347

Assuming you don't know how to zone focus, and/or if you care about sports.

Zooms are already on the roadmap, and with a converter there are tons of teles available. More over, the "not that small" canard just needs to die:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=40432904

A useless ad hom.

Same frontal area as a Nikon D5100, but you lose the fast AF, lenses, dark room AF

This same troll was making the same argument a couple of months ago. It was nonsensical then, it's nonsensical now:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=40740512

Most camera's sold are "enthusiast" cameras. I don't even know what the second half of that statement is supposed to mean.

Debatable, but besides the point, nor is IQ/cost. Pure IQ isn't the draw, it's IQ within a smaller/lighter form factor.

bigpigbig Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

If I were Nikon or Canon or any competitor, I would be hiring cheap labor to post on internet forums with derogatory remarks about my competition.

My guess is that some percentage of the posts on this website are "paid negative ads".

It is a cheap (and dirty) way to discourage some people from buying the competitors brand, while slipping in your brand as an alternative, as a casual remark.

In fact, if there is not already a manual on what this posts should look like, the OP's post could be used as a model.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
photo perzon
OP photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,522
20 to 1 groupies galore. The pro is perfect, discussion closed

Let's go to other more balanced forum posts.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

Absolutely, for people who really like D5100 buying xpro1 seems a counterintuitive move, but I don't know why it requires a topic.

photo perzon wrote:

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
chopsteeks Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

are you employed by Fujifilm ? How do I get a job like yours ?

bigpigbig wrote:

If I were Nikon or Canon or any competitor, I would be hiring cheap labor to post on internet forums with derogatory remarks about my competition.

My guess is that some percentage of the posts on this website are "paid negative ads".

It is a cheap (and dirty) way to discourage some people from buying the competitors brand, while slipping in your brand as an alternative, as a casual remark.

In fact, if there is not already a manual on what this posts should look like, the OP's post could be used as a model.

Petteri Sulonen Forum Pro • Posts: 24,585
Niche market != no market

How do you think Fuji's sold out at 600€ more than the OM-D?

A niche strategy is based on identifying a number of people that have very specific needs or wants but are currently not served by anything else on the market. Provide them with what they want, and they'll be willing to pay a good deal more than for otherwise comparable products. You'll have small volume and small growth potential but high margins, and a higher likelihood of success than trying to claw market share from CaNikonSoLymSonic.

The X-Pro1 is that kind of camera. If you are in the niche, it looks cheap. The obvious reference point is the Leica M9 which costs three times as much, never mind the lenses.

On the other hand, if its main distinguishing characteristics (optical viewfinder, high-quality compact bright primes) don't rank very highly on your priority list, you'll see pretty much what you see—a wonky camera that's terrible value for money.

It'll never sell as much as the Nikon 5100, but that doesn't mean it's a failure.

Petteri
--
http://primejunta.blogspot.com/
http://www.prime-junta.net/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/primejunta/

Petteri Sulonen's gear list:Petteri Sulonen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads