How to re open the ACR in Photoshop once closed?

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions
Starshot Contributing Member • Posts: 764
How to re open the ACR in Photoshop once closed?

If I import a raw file into Photoshop it will open up the Adobe Camera Raw settings.. then I hit done.. is there a way to reopen that without repeating the process of closing PS, then importing raw back in?

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986
Re: How to re open the ACR in Photoshop once closed?

when you're in ACR, and you're ready to go into PS, hold the shift (or option or alt, who remembers?) and the 'Open Image' button will change into 'Open Object'. Do that and it will be sent to PS as a Smart Object. Once in PS, if you click on the tiny icon in the lower right of the layer icon, you'll get sent back to ACR.

CaseyJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,867

Starshot wrote:

If I import a raw file into Photoshop it will open up the Adobe Camera Raw settings.. then I hit done.. is there a way to reopen that without repeating the process of closing PS, then importing raw back in?

If you hit done, ACR will close and you will be in the Photoshop window, click on "File > Open Recent" then the Raw file name and it will reopen in ACR.

CaseyJ

CaseyJ's gear list:CaseyJ's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
WineO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,321

The other option is to have Bridge open and open it from there.
Claude

Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

Apart from the 'Open' and 'Smart Object' choices there is a third one on the OPEN button (when holding down ALT or CTRL) that says 'Open as Copy'. I never use it but once I did and it just behaved the same as for normal OPEN. Anybody got any information or ideas on it?...

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
Ronny Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,183

As Howard has already said, hold down Shift and the Open Image button toggles to Open Object. You can click on the blue hyperlink on the bottom of the ACR window in order to enter Workflow options and check the box, "Open in Photoshop as Objects". This changes the default setting of the Open Image button to Open Object. Shift will continue to toggle between Open Object and Open Image. When in Photoshop, double click on the thumbnail to go back to ACR.

If you want to open multiple ACR smart objects into Photoshop, create the first one and then go to Layers> Smart Objects> New Smart Object vial Copy. You can then edit multiple ACR smart objects independently. You can then use masking, etc., to blend the two, or more, together.

What I find the most useful is "Dr. Brown's edit layer in ACR" script. This allows you to create an ACR Smart object at any time during the edit. You simply create a Merge all visible Layers layer and run the script. This takes you back to ACR. You can find the script on Russell Brown's site as follows:

http://russellbrown.com/scripts.html

Ronny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads