Epson 3800 skewed output (?)

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions
Timzee Contributing Member • Posts: 981
Epson 3800 skewed output (?)

Prints fine right up to the end, then at the bottom edge:

Not sure where to start looking to find the problem...

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,535
Re: Epson 3800 skewed output (?)

how big a piece of paper is that?

OP Timzee Contributing Member • Posts: 981

Howard Moftich wrote:

how big a piece of paper is that?

I should have mentioned that. Paper was Epson Premium Lustre, 8.5x11. Image size was 8x10.

have you ever cleaned the rollers?

What paper(s) are the most commonly used? What paper path?

I'm thinking the output/front rollers are covered in slick residue and once the rear rollers release, the paper slides around.

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,433

Alternatively, I'm wondering about paper settings. It looks like there are some scratches or something on the print. Are you experiencing head strikes? Agreed, the rollers are more likely the problem and check to see if there isn't a piece of media stuck in them too.

HACY Regular Member • Posts: 138

I had once same kind of problem with a thicker photo paper (not that bad but scratches in the paper surface) when I forgot to use front feeder for fine art paper and used sheet feeder at top of the printer. As I noticed my mistake and used the right paper feeder for the next sheet, it came out OK.

This manual.
http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r3000_/r3000_ba.pdf
Page 8, "Loading Fine Art Paper"

Howard Moftich wrote:

I'm thinking the output/front rollers are covered in slick residue and once the rear rollers release, the paper slides around.

Actually it's my partner's printer-- but that sounds like a good/logical place to start. I'll see if I can figure out how to clean the rollers for her and see if that helps.

Adam2 wrote:

It looks like there are some scratches or something on the print.

Hi Adam,

Yeah, I did a quick scan from that print which has been tossed around the office here lately and it wasn't until I posted that noticed that it was pretty dirty print what with the scratches & such. I should have at least cleaned the darned thing first!

they make commercial cleaning 'sheets' and read this...........

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/tips/how-to-clean-and-maintain-your-inkjet-printer.html

Timzee wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

Actually it's my partner's printer-- but that sounds like a good/logical place to start. I'll see if I can figure out how to clean the rollers for her and see if that helps.

mick2 New Member • Posts: 15

I'd start by cleaning the rollers and paper grabbers. Take a sheet of paper (not plain/copy paper) and spray the middle half side to side (leaving dry patches on the top and bottom) with Windex; run it through a few times, flipping it over, turning it around, etc. This will likely fix your issue.

Peter Patricelli Regular Member • Posts: 334

It goes without saying that it shouldn't be happening.  And, you probably have enough suggestions here to solve your problem.  And, 8.5 x 11 the most standard paper size...so my suggestion is probably not relevant here.......but......for others having end-of-paper anomalies.....

As I am usually printing sheets cut off rolls....I have complete freedom to cut any extra length....for any reason.  The end-of-paper...end-of-printing routine, depending on the printer...can have some problems.  The one I have encountered usually involve head strikes or ink staining.  It is always best to get the problem solved especially if it involves debris or dirty/slick rollers, etc..  BUT...since I have the image on the computer and I am on a roll...printing-wise....and don't want to break to tear the printer apart...the fast get-a-print-right-now-and fix-problem-later solution is to cut the paper LONG, If necessary, set the picture up on an extra canvas length with the excess at the bottom (last to be printed).  That way the picture printing finishes while there is several inches of extra paper inside the rollers...a configuration that was working fine for the whole length of the print, and if there are problems as the last of the paper clears the printer....they get trimmed off with the excess paper.

Then I can concentrate of fixing the problem when I don't have a printing job waiting to get done.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli
www.flyfishingfotography.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads