NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
Jokica
Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?
1

Hi, everyone. I live in Europe and I am going to buy NEX5n.
How can I get 60p from NEX5n, EU model?
I am aware of TV incompatibility, still I would like to have 1080@60p.

Should I search for NEX5n, US model, or there is possibility to somehow upgrade EU/NEX5n with US/NEX5n firmware?

Thanks!

Nex 5n Video modes -
AVCHD
• 1080 60i/p up to 28mbps (50i/p in Europe)
• 1080 24i/p up to 24mbps (25i/p in Europe)
MPEG-4
• 1440 x 1080 29.97fps 12mbps
• 640 x 480 29.97fps

 Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
adi9 Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Jokica wrote:

Hi, everyone. I live in Europe and I am going to buy NEX5n.
How can I get 60p from NEX5n, EU model?
I am aware of TV incompatibility, still I would like to have 1080@60p.

Should I search for NEX5n, US model, or there is possibility to somehow upgrade EU/NEX5n with US/NEX5n firmware?

Thanks!

Nex 5n Video modes -
AVCHD
• 1080 60i/p up to 28mbps (50i/p in Europe)
• 1080 24i/p up to 24mbps (25i/p in Europe)
MPEG-4
• 1440 x 1080 29.97fps 12mbps
• 640 x 480 29.97fps

You need to buy an US/Canada model. The firmware will not change the fps, it's hardcodded.

dka91 Senior Member • Posts: 1,284
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Thats interesting why would you want a 60p model if you live in Europe???

Anyway, you can either get a US/canada model, or go for a Japan model. Your issue might be customs, but you should be able to get away with it.

 dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Sony a7 II Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.8
Lofi Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

You won't get these in europe. From what I've read it's not about the tv compatibility. Mostly all new tv models can deal with ntsc or 60p hd signals.

It's about the 60hz incompatibility regarding e. g. neon lights. If you record a 60p movie of an indoor scene with neon lights, you'd get serious flickering.

Although I'm still wondering why there isn't an option to switch 50/60p via software. There's always outdoor scenes that you could film.

Jokica
OP Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Lofi wrote:

You won't get these in europe. From what I've read it's not about the tv compatibility. Mostly all new tv models can deal with ntsc or 60p hd signals.

It's about the 60hz incompatibility regarding e. g. neon lights. If you record a 60p movie of an indoor scene with neon lights, you'd get serious flickering.

Although I'm still wondering why there isn't an option to switch 50/60p via software. There's always outdoor scenes that you could film.

Thank you all for you kind information.
The reason I want 60p is:

I watch my videos on PC, and sometimes upload something on YouTube, so the TV is not an issue (I don't like TV :- ). Moreover, as @Lofi stated: Mostly all new tv models can deal with ntsc or 60p hd signals.

Neon lights also non-issue. (I didn't know about neon lights incompatibility, thanks for the info).

If the list of incompatibility contains nothing more than TV and Neon, I guess I will look for the non-EU model.
Kind Regards

 Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

adi9 wrote:

You need to buy an US/Canada model. The firmware will not change the fps, it's hardcodded.

I don't think so. Difference is only some bytes in firmware - BUT YOU MUST HACK THEM
Sony isn't so silly to produce two "hardcoded" versions.

ohmstudiste Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Jokica wrote:

The reason I want 60p is:

I watch my videos on PC, and sometimes upload something on YouTube, so the TV is not an issue (I don't like TV :- ). Moreover, as @Lofi stated: Mostly all new tv models can deal with ntsc or 60p hd signals.

Neon lights also non-issue. (I didn't know about neon lights incompatibility, thanks for the info).

If the list of incompatibility contains nothing more than TV and Neon, I guess I will look for the non-EU model.

You still haven't given the reasons why you want/need 60p, you just said you watch the videos on computer.

Jokica
OP Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

I want 60p because I believe it is more fluid than 50p. It is not much, but I want max from my camera, why not?

 Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Chiuki Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

i imported both my 5N and 7 from outside the EU because they are simply not available here for several reasons, so they are both the 60fps models. I like the way the 1080@60p looks and it gives a slightly more fluid look when re-interpreting the framerate for slo-mo in Adobe Premeire Pro CS5.5 which now supports the faster frame rates.

and my audience is mostly in the USA.

-- hide signature --

Chiuki Amsterdam Street Photography
http://www.chiuki.com

 Chiuki's gear list:Chiuki's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +13 more
kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,663
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Anyway, you can either get a US/canada model, or go for a Japan model. Your issue might be customs, but you should be able to get away with it.

Japanese model only if you can read Japanese.

'it's a Sony' and Sony cameras sold in Japan only come with menus in Japanese without any way to change to e.g. English

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Pentax K-x, *istDs and Sony NEX5N: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

 kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
adi9 Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Knallberto wrote:

adi9 wrote:

You need to buy an US/Canada model. The firmware will not change the fps, it's hardcodded.

I don't think so. Difference is only some bytes in firmware - BUT YOU MUST HACK THEM
Sony isn't so silly to produce two "hardcoded" versions.

What I want to say is that flashing a USA firmware over the UK firmware would not change the p50 to p60. The fact that this settings are kept in an inaccessible part of flash or the are hardware encodded is irrelevant from the user point of view. If you are able to hack this I bet will be a lot of happy guys out there:).

I read alos that somebody flashed an UK version over a Japanese one, the language changed accordingly but it stayed on 60p like in Japan, so it may be a solution if somebody can get easyer a Japanese version. But I think US versions are cheaper and you don't need any (risky) flashing anyway. I think there are a few US online retailers which will ship to Europe).

Curently no Sony NEX or Alpha camera allow you to change between p60 and p50 (or between NTSC and PAL).

nick18k
nick18k Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Ebay has the 5N/60FPS, but your reputation(feedback) needs to be good in order for them to ship to Europe. THe shipping cost is somewhat expensive aswell.

geo13 New Member • Posts: 12
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Where are you from ?

Jokica
OP Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Serbia, Tara Mountain

 Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
relate2 Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

If Sony wanted to it can be easily done. My GoPro HD has a menu setting for PAL or NTSC, which then gives you either 50 or 60p.

I will just be glad when they delete interlaced from video cameras.
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2

adi9 Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

relate2 wrote:

If Sony wanted to it can be easily done. My GoPro HD has a menu setting for PAL or NTSC, which then gives you either 50 or 60p.

I will just be glad when they delete interlaced from video cameras.
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2

True.I'm sure it's not a technical problem.Sony just does not want to do it, from some marketing reasons (keep EU/NA markets and prices separate). They also want to keep Japanese market separate, so they disable all other languages for Japan models.

DarkUltra
DarkUltra New Member • Posts: 1
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I thought I'd give my vote. My lcd tv is 60hz, my pc monitor is 120hz and my phone is 60hz so it would be nice if all my future footage is 60fps too. I wonder, maybe hiqh quality led lights does not flicker?

Anyway please nag Sony about this maybe they'll reconsider. It is a lot of competition among cameras these days

Jokica
OP Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: NEX5n - 1080@60p in Europe?

I am glad I see this old thread pulled out. I have started it in March 2012. Two months later, I have bought NEX-5N US/Canada version. And I am glad I did. I prefer 60fps over 50fps, same goes to 30fps over 25fps. I guess it would be more visible if someone has need for slow motion. I am nature and landscape photographer, so neon light is not an issue for me. I had no issue whatsoever with North America model in Europe. Related discussion can be found on this thread here

 Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads