My OM-D is noisy!

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,883
Re: My OM-D is noisy!

Hey - people with OM-Ds - stop fussing about a hum and go shoot some photos!

Revenant Forum Member • Posts: 53

From the manual: "The Olympus OM-D E-M5 has a newly developed, advanced Purring Ultra-realistic Simulation System (PUSS), which helps you catch your cat's attention, an essential feature for all portrait photographers."

Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Yes, Louis was right IMO

. . . I agree. Louis is probably on the right track and it's apparently not a real problem for the most part. There's so much background noise these days from multiple electronic devices that many if not most of us have been conditioned to not even notice it. It'll be interesting to see if I can even hear it at all when I get mine. Maybe I went to too many rock concerts years ago and can't hear very well anymore so it won't matter at all to me. And the fact that Andy could barely hear it and didn't think it was a problem tells me that it's a very likely a minor issue of no real importance even if you can hear 'something' in a quiet room.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
dko22 Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: Non stop

Louis_Dobson wrote:

In both cases it will be the sound of the IS, surely? If you switch the IS "off" all you are telling it to do is stop reacting to the gyros. It still has to hold the sensor (OM-D) or lens element (L1) steady - I think. I have an L1 and never noticed the sound. Also an E-PM1 and 25 f1.4, and I don't notice that sound either. So I doubt the OM-D will bother me.

I'm bemused by all this fuss. The GH2 makes a noise with OIS lenses such as the 45-200 whether the OIS is on or off and I've never thought this is something to get concerned about -you can hardly hear it anyway. I suspect the above is the correct explanation, not that I have any technical knowledge about such things. If there is some serious issue, I'm quite sure it will be picked up fairly quickly.

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,659

Revenant wrote:

From the manual: "The Olympus OM-D E-M5 has a newly developed, advanced Purring Ultra-realistic Simulation System (PUSS), which helps you catch your cat's attention, an essential feature for all portrait photographers."

Ahah, well said

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
mfbernstein Veteran Member • Posts: 6,518
Re: But why is it necessary with IS off?

Timur Born wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

Andy Westlake wrote:

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Here is what I notice right off the bat. My OM-D has a constant electrical hum. Kind of like a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

Yes, it does that. Doesn't matter whether you have OIS turned on or off, it always makes that low-level humming noise.

Weird. But why is it necessary when IS is off? None of the Pens or other Olympus DSLRs with IS do this when IS is disabled. Is it due to the new '5-axis' wunder-stabilization system?

Ask yourself: how would you fix a plate that can move and turn in any and all directions without some very sophisticated and maybe bulky mechanics? Make sense to make it floating but fixed.

I suppose. But the E-5 promotion materials explicitly speak of using a linear SWD motor for the image stabilization because of higher accuracy than a rotary one. And now here it appears they've gone and reversed themselves. It just seems strange.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

Bilgy_no1
Bilgy_no1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,880
But the first picture bu a user we saw on this forum

was of a TURTLE! Did he get it wrong or what?

Revenant wrote:

Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,493

Several comments:

• If the IS hums quietly in the background, that is not a fault to be fixed, it is what the camera does . Electromechanical devices make sounds.

• Having said, that, I'd expect the NEX7 to hum or flash lights, it is all a bit Star Trek. The OM-D, on the other hand, is consciously retro, trying to feel like a film camera. I never had a film camera that hummed. As above, not a fault, and not a problem either. I'm definitely subtracting half a mark off the cool quotient though. If ever there was a mainstream camera that should shut it with the electronic noises, this is it. Can you imagine the fuss if the Leica M9 did that?

• If it was a fault, which it isn't, and if it were going to be fixed, which it won't, then you'd be caught out on batch manufacturing. Buy a D4, and it is probably built on a dedicated line in Japan at roughly the same rate they sell them. If people find a problem they'll fix it on the line and the rest of the cameras won't have it,The OM-D is probably batch built - they set up a line, they make a huge pile, they turn the line over to the next product. So faults stick. But, again, this is not a fault. It is juts something the camera does - like it or lump it. I'll lump it, but knock half a point of the cool quotient.

dko22 wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

In both cases it will be the sound of the IS, surely? If you switch the IS "off" all you are telling it to do is stop reacting to the gyros. It still has to hold the sensor (OM-D) or lens element (L1) steady - I think. I have an L1 and never noticed the sound. Also an E-PM1 and 25 f1.4, and I don't notice that sound either. So I doubt the OM-D will bother me.

I'm bemused by all this fuss. The GH2 makes a noise with OIS lenses such as the 45-200 whether the OIS is on or off and I've never thought this is something to get concerned about -you can hardly hear it anyway. I suspect the above is the correct explanation, not that I have any technical knowledge about such things. If there is some serious issue, I'm quite sure it will be picked up fairly quickly.

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Button Pusher
Button Pusher Contributing Member • Posts: 584
I will buy all humming OMDs from their disgruntled owners for $100

Problem solved!

Button Pusher's gear list:Button Pusher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
mfbernstein Veteran Member • Posts: 6,518

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Several comments:

• If the IS hums quietly in the background, that is not a fault to be fixed, it is what the camera does . Electromechanical devices make sounds.

Given your opposition to IS for image quality reasons, I would have thought you'd be unhappy that the sensor is no longer truly fixed when IS is off.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

Tim in upstate NY
Re: I will buy all humming OMDs from their disgruntled owners for $100

Button Pusher wrote:

Problem solved!

. . . Not so fast there. I'll give them $200!

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Bill Wallace Veteran Member • Posts: 6,997
You know Tim....

If you are not wearing good ear protection when firing those massive guns at Tedolph, that can cause adverse hearing loss, which should benefit you in the OMD hummer fiasco.

Just a thought...

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace

http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/

"I'd rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints"

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +8 more
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,493

If that is the case, it is what I expected. I already pointed this out in a thread months ago, and got roundly snarled at and patronised by people who failed to grasp the point.

I don't need IBIS and I'd be happier with the sensor nailed firmly to the back of the camera rather than held in place with a complex electro-mechanical system that eats battery and has the potential to fail at an inopportune moment.

However, it's not a deal breaker. Nobody is going to develop a camera just for me. If they did, it would be more or less an OM-D circuit board with a Sony sensor in an X-Pro1 body with an MFT mount.

mfbernstein wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Several comments:

Given your opposition to IS for image quality reasons, I would have thought you'd be unhappy that the sensor is no longer truly fixed when IS is off.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,101
Re: I will buy all humming OMDs from their disgruntled owners for $100

I bid $300 in food stamps and and Starbucks reward postcards.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2
Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441
i bet its the new IS

When you switch the IS off, you are just making it inactive and telling the sensor to become locked in position.

But, the sensor is essentially floating and connected to the body by actuators, etc. So, even in this locked position, it requires power to maintain that fixed position and compensate for being thrown out of centering by camera movement.

The new 5 axis mechanism may be the culprit.

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

As I posted before, I picked up my OM-D this morning.

The batteries are charged and am now trying it out.

Here is what I notice right off the bat. My OM-D has a constant electrical hum. Kind of like a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

It's not the new lens since I've switched it to another and the hum continues. Switched off the I.S. and still noise.

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Tim in upstate NY
Re: You know Tim....

Bill Wallace wrote:

If you are not wearing good ear protection when firing those massive guns at Tedolph, that can cause adverse hearing loss, which should benefit you in the OMD hummer fiasco.

Just a thought...

. . . Those big battleship guns might have damaged my ears and also everything between them.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
The Hummer

As long as it doesn't get increasingly loud over the next couple years and then start shocking folks on occasion...

Chris, is it something you would worry about in a quiet concert? Or is it just an odd thing for a camera to do?

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

CharlesTokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 721
Re: The Hummer

jkrumm wrote:

As long as it doesn't get increasingly loud over the next couple years and then start shocking folks on occasion...

Chris, is it something you would worry about in a quiet concert? Or is it just an odd thing for a camera to do?

I am not Chris, but I hope he agrees.

Hell no, I wouldn't worry. Unless you are holding the camera up to someone's ears. The shutter sound has gotten much more quiet, but it is still much louder than the any humming. Even with a fairly quiet apartment I can't hear it beyond 6 inches or so, and that's when I'm really trying to hear it.

Go back and reads Louis's post. For a device with this much tech I don't think it's unusual and it should probably be expected.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +22 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,338
My GH2 with OIS lenses hums also...

As did my G2....I noticed it one day when I was waiting for someone while sitting in a quiet car. If you turn off the OIS on the Panasonics it goes away.

As others have said, I am sure it is part of the IS system which keeps the sensor in the right place when the camera is on, even if the actual IS functions are shut off.

In actual use, do I notice it on the GH2 when I am using it? No. Even if the OMD's IS is louder than the GH2's, you will still need to have very low ambient noise to hear it above everything else going on.

I don't think this should lend itself to everyone jumping up and down in a panic......

-J

vincent filomena
vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106
Re: You know Tim....

TeedOff is alive and well,

serving Time in the Kodak DSLR Gullag Forum !

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads