I am wishing for FM2 eqivalent FF digital

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions
joyclick
joyclick Veteran Member • Posts: 3,028
I am wishing for FM2 eqivalent FF digital

At an affordable price,does the D800 fit the bill?

Gajanan
--
student4ever

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fotoph Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: I am wishing for FM2 eqivalent FF digital

no

mike158 New Member • Posts: 6

You know, it's not a bad idea. A fully manual digital camera, akin to the original FM body, with the 12 megapixel D90 sensor, and a minimum of bells and whistles. Call it the FM-D and sell as many as you can make.

john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,105

Having briefly used a leica M9 I think the reality is not what you might expect

Manual focus with a high MP sensor is no easy matter

It would have to be FX.

But I'm not sure that those old lenses would really pass muster

Hvae you seen this

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/comparisons/24mm/

phipop Contributing Member • Posts: 546

buy a d800!
it is the best ff around here.
if you dont like it i will buy it in one year.
congrats
and have fun
philippe from phipop point com

-- hide signature --

Thank you !

capanikon
capanikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,088
 capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
A D90 set on Manual perhaps ? (nt)
-- hide signature --

StephenG

Gene J. Paull Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
Re: I am wishing for FM2 eqivalent FF digital - D700

I've been on a Holy Grail to find an FE2 equivalent. Short story - the D700 is going to have to do for me. Long story - Have a Panasonic GF1 - small, dense, metallic just like the FE2, but believe me, it ain't. Then I entertained the thought of going back to a D70s, good colors, smaller, but the viewfinder just does not cut it. I've had the D700 for about a year, have used it infrequently, but from here on out, I'm going to treat it like a giant FE2. The viewfinder, the subject isolation with 35, 50, 85 mm fast primes - I guess it's the modern reincarnation of the FE2/FM, albeit on steroids. The D800 - well, not anytime soon, on my salary, unless I hit the lottery. The 100% viewfinder is more important to me than the 35 MP.

-- hide signature --

Gene in Deep South Texas
http://www.pbase.com/lahuasteca/

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Danlo Regular Member • Posts: 322

Yes please, it would be a dream come true.. Small, light and with the usual Nikon-image quality it would be absolutely amazing.
--
http://blogg.hogbergphotography.com

Danlo's gear list:Danlo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +18 more
Sante Patate Veteran Member • Posts: 5,908
Mnaual focus with high MP sensors ...

john Clinch wrote:

Manual focus with a high MP sensor is no easy matter

I have to disagree on this point. I have been using a Zeiss 50/1.4 on my D7000 for portraits without serious difficulty. I think the key is a lens with a long focus throw (half-turn vs quarter-turn) and a well-damped focus ring - as a result the Zeiss is a much easier MF proposition than my Nikon 50/1.8.

The FM2 was 90 x 142 x 60mm and weighed 540g. A D3100 is 96 x 124 x 75mm and weighs 505g. A D7000 is a bit bigger and heavier than the FM2, but there is not a lot in it. So what could a digital FM offer that those cameras do not? Nothing except more robust build (though not so much compared to the D7000) and 36 x 24.

IMO, people who talk about a "digital FM" really just want an FX digital camera for $1000, and that is unrealistic, because FX sensors are much more expensive than DX sensors, and pointless, because in a camera like that FX offers no important advantage photographically.

According to Thom Hogan Nikon executives have said that they have not made a D-FM because they simply do not believe there is a market for a D-FM at the price they would have to charge .

capanikon
capanikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,088
Re: Mnaual focus with high MP sensors ...

The appeal of the FM series is its utter simplicity.

It has all the controls you need, and nothing else: Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, light meter read-out, multiple exposure ability, DOF preview, timer, mirror pre-fire.

The beauty of the FM series is its simplicity and purity as a camera.

capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
Re: Mnaual focus with high MP sensors ...

I agree - although I think the distinctive thing about the FM was that it had only what is absolutely essential, but everything it had was pro standard. A digital FM would have the D4 sensor and metering - and nothing else. I would buy it for (say) the price of a D300, but I don't think a lot of people would. My evidence is that when you start going through the list of features to remove - rear LCD, AF, on-board flash ... about 1/3 of people regard any given feature as "absolutely essential".

fotolopithecus Senior Member • Posts: 1,699
Re: Manual focus with high MP sensors ...

I'd love a digital FM3, with no bells & whistles, just jpg fine, and raw. I'm not holding my breath though. The philosophy today is the more useless crap you can cram into a dslr the better.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G

Sure - but I don't want JPEG fine, and I would want variable ISO (otherwise there is no point having digital at all). And there's the rub, from Nikon's point of view: lots of people would buy a camera with "nothing except the essentials" - but every one of them has a different idea of "the essentials".

fotolopithecus Senior Member • Posts: 1,699

That's very true, but most of us would buy the camera even if it wasn't an exact list of our personal preferences. For example, would you refuse to buy it if it had jpg as well as raw? Basically, we're all wanting a much simpler high quality dslr. I think the camera companies are missing a chance to sell a lot more cameras, but who knows.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,105

I'm sure that it's possible to manual focus a camera well enough to look good on a high mp sensor. I'm sure people on here do it all the time.But that doesn't mean it's easy.

Once focused is achieved then neither camera or subject can move.

Thats quite a constraint in world where a cheap entry level dslr will lock onto a subject
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_clinch/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads