Nikon D800 + Nikon 35mm f1.4 street photography ( Large)

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions
Auke B van der Weide Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Re: Nikon D800 + Nikon 35mm f1.4 street photography ( Large)

wow, eat that canon

HakanL New Member • Posts: 19

Beautiful. Shows what the 35/1.4 is able to do. Please post some more if you've got more.

venice Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Very nice street photography.

I especially like the woman with the chalk.

Best,

Bill

Grig
Grig Senior Member • Posts: 2,310

Now we are starting to see a real images... Super series!!! Thank you for sharing!

My favorite is with lady drawing with the chalks on the sidewalk... Stunning!!!

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!
http://www.grigphoto.com

Grig's gear list:Grig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +15 more
bmcdad
OP bmcdad Regular Member • Posts: 376

Thank you so much for all the input and compliments.

I truly enjoy working with people. I walk around with my camera, and I just ask people's permission to take their photographs. I find our approach must be easy, humble and not threatening. I dress casually and I blend in.. I joke with them and ask them about their day. People in general are very nice once you get them at ease.

I communicate while I'm photographing them to let them know what I'm doing. If I need them to look straight at me then I ask them kindly. I've been very lucky with the amount of support I received.

In the last couple of days out of the twenty so people I photographed I only had two people say no to me.

There was a man at Starbucks the other day who answered with an abrupt NO when I asked to take his portrait.. His friend next to him said you can take my picture, and I did. The next day as I walked down the street I heard someone approaching fast behind me I turned and it's the same man who had declined the day before to taking his picture.. he reaches inside his jacket pocket and pulls out a small yellow envelope with some pictures he had taken with his own camera and wanted to get my opinion. We stood there on the side street for 20 minutes talking about photography. I learned so much about him I also learned that just because someone says know doesn't mean they are rude or mean. It just that they are not comfortable. When people allow us to take their picture they allow us into their soul.. This is not simple..and shouldn't be taken for granted. A portrait can capture the truest aspect of a human being and that is a privilege we can only earn with much respect.

bmcdad's gear list:bmcdad's gear list
Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED
BelePhotography Regular Member • Posts: 381

excellent pics, now if only that lens wasn't so expensive

BelePhotography's gear list:BelePhotography's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,502

I had a chance to photograph what appeared to be a homeless person today, he had the most amazing beard and his face had so much character, but I chickened out and didn't ask. I felt kind guilty asking someone that was homeless to take their photo. Perhaps if I see him again I'll ask then slip him a few dollars to help him out.

bmcdad wrote:

Thank you so much for all the input and compliments.

I truly enjoy working with people. I walk around with my camera, and I just ask people's permission to take their photographs. I find our approach must be easy, humble and not threatening. I dress casually and I blend in.. I joke with them and ask them about their day. People in general are very nice once you get them at ease.

I communicate while I'm photographing them to let them know what I'm doing. If I need them to look straight at me then I ask them kindly. I've been very lucky with the amount of support I received.

In the last couple of days out of the twenty so people I photographed I only had two people say no to me.

There was a man at Starbucks the other day who answered with an abrupt NO when I asked to take his portrait.. His friend next to him said you can take my picture, and I did. The next day as I walked down the street I heard someone approaching fast behind me I turned and it's the same man who had declined the day before to taking his picture.. he reaches inside his jacket pocket and pulls out a small yellow envelope with some pictures he had taken with his own camera and wanted to get my opinion. We stood there on the side street for 20 minutes talking about photography. I learned so much about him I also learned that just because someone says know doesn't mean they are rude or mean. It just that they are not comfortable. When people allow us to take their picture they allow us into their soul.. This is not simple..and shouldn't be taken for granted. A portrait can capture the truest aspect of a human being and that is a privilege we can only earn with much respect.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
steddyman Regular Member • Posts: 346

Thanks for the explanation Bill. Much apprecIated.
--
-------------------------------------------
Steddy
http://steddy.smugmug.com/

Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,582
How do you convert to B&W>

could you share, what u use to convert to B&W (i.e., what program, filter, etc?) if you don't mind

David
--

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +6 more
SanMat Senior Member • Posts: 2,861

Very high quality. Great use of black and white - really works for these. The subject detail is pretty special.

Pete

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Another terrific set of photos

Thank you for sharing these stunning photographs. Kudos.

KenBuse Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: Another terrific set of photos

Really love these and the 35mm. Very sharp and well focused. Also wonder what you are doing in PP, i.e., software or plug-ins. thanks much for sharing... kb

SJShooter Contributing Member • Posts: 521

Really nice photos. The one of the girl in the street is exceptional.

I have the 35 1.4g and love street photography, but have never really used this lens for the type of tight portraits you do (I usually use the 85mm 1.4g for those). That said, your results are excellent.

exifnotfound
exifnotfound Regular Member • Posts: 424

Everytime I see shots from the 35 1.4G on this forum I'm really impressed, this set is no different, great stuff.
Congrats on the D800 also!
--
http://stevejwphotography.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevejwphoto/

exifnotfound's gear list:exifnotfound's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G
bmcdad

Thanks everyone!

I like using the 35 up close to isolate my subject.. it works really good for tight portraits and acts like a 50mm but with attitude.
I use the 85 on the streets as well and love it.. see here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41066896
they both have their uses and visually are very distinct.

-- hide signature --

Making not Taking

sbill
sbill Senior Member • Posts: 1,167

I'd like you to come in Paris and use the same approach, with parisian persons, and let me know how many NOs you would get here out of twenty persons. Just curious to know if I really need to change my attitude against these people or if I rather need to change country
Bill

-- hide signature --

William Soragna / william.soragna@gmail.com
http://streetgeneration.fr/news/?s=william+soragna

sbill's gear list:sbill's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
bmcdad

Book me a ticket and I'm on my way!
--
Making not Taking

sbill
sbill Senior Member • Posts: 1,167

Where from!?

--
William Soragna / william.soragna@gmail.com
http://streetgeneration.fr/news/?s=william+soragna

sbill's gear list:sbill's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
bmcdad

Cold Michigan, USA
--
Making not Taking

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads