ARGH! New K-5 Dust BEHIND the LCD cover!!!

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions
SRT201
SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
ARGH! New K-5 Dust BEHIND the LCD cover!!!

Just pulled my new K-5 out of the box and there is this nasty little white spec BEHIND the LCD cover. There is nothing subtle about it. Against that dark background it practically shouts at you.

Doesn't that just stink!

I've had 4 DSLR bodies and never had dust behind the LCD cover. This is the highest end DSLR I have ever owned and Pentax let's this get through final inspection?

I have read of somebody else here that sent their K-5 back when dust began accumulating behind the LCD cover within a couple days of unboxing.

Anybody else have trouble with dust like this?

I'm not trying to be retentive about this and actually considered keeping it but there is no excuse for a $1000 body that is DUST sealed to have dust in the display.

I have to wonder what other dust is left back there to become visible when it is statically attracted to the plastic cover... or what dust is elsewhere in the body?

I also noticed the AF selector lever requires quite a bit of force to move slowly slides from one position to the other. Is that normal?

-- hide signature --

Life is NOT measured by the "moments that take your breath away" anymore than books are measured by the number of exclamation marks. The whole picture matters.

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271
Re: ARGH! New K-5 Dust BEHIND the LCD cover!!!

SRT201 wrote:

Just pulled my new K-5 out of the box and there is this nasty little white spec BEHIND the LCD cover. There is nothing subtle about it. Against that dark background it practically shouts at you.

Doesn't that just stink!

Bummer

I've had 4 DSLR bodies and never had dust behind the LCD cover. This is the highest end DSLR I have ever owned and Pentax let's this get through final inspection?

I have read of somebody else here that sent their K-5 back when dust began accumulating behind the LCD cover within a couple days of unboxing.

not my k5 50,000 images no internal dust but it is the 3rd body due to stains (oct-dec 2010)

I'm not trying to be retentive about this and actually considered keeping it but there is no excuse for a $1000 body that is DUST sealed to have dust in the display.

I don't think it retentive at all get it changed

I have to wonder what other dust is left back there to become visible when it is statically attracted to the plastic cover... or what dust is elsewhere in the body?

I also noticed the AF selector lever requires quite a bit of force to move slowly slides from one position to the other. Is that normal?

Yes the water seals do give a soft squashy feel to the lever actions.

-- hide signature --

Life is NOT measured by the "moments that take your breath away" anymore than books are measured by the number of exclamation marks. The whole picture matters.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
SRT201
OP SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,589

awaldram wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

I don't think it retentive at all get it changed

Thanks for making me feel like I'm not going overboard.

Yes the water seals do give a soft squashy feel to the lever actions.

I figured it was the seals but a sealed body is new to me. Thanks again for the verification.

-- hide signature --

sintran New Member • Posts: 3

Lots of posts of dust under LCD screen for K5 and other camera makers too. Not just you. You either have to return it if cost to you is not much or send it in for service to repair. AF selector switch remains stiff but functional after 1 year.

SRT201

Weird... not a spec in any of my other bodies or even P&S cams!

It won't cost anything to have it exchanged and B&H is customer oriented as usual. I wouldn't buy a camera like this from anybody else.

Thanks for the verification on the AF lever. Must just be the seals.

-- hide signature --

SRT201

I'm assuming you don't have any dust.

-- hide signature --

SRT201

On it's way back to B&H who were more than happy to exchange it. That's why I buy from them as opposed to the alternatives.

-- hide signature --

maynard001 Contributing Member • Posts: 823

Sorry about the dust dude...that sucks.

But the AF selector is totally normal. All of my levers (AF selector...MF selector...) were sticky/stiff at first. They loosen up a bit over time...

SRT201

I have tried, over the years, to take minor product problems with a grain of salt because it's hard enough just getting something that works.

But... when it comes to a display I will be looking at ALL the time and considering what this "dust sealed" gizmo costs... it seems reasonable to send it back - especially considering there may be MORE of those specs just waiting to find their way onto the plastic cover.

Thankfully my camera-toting brethren seem to agree.

-- hide signature --

Barso
Barso Junior Member • Posts: 36

FWIW when I got my K100D five and a half years ago I checked it in the shop and all was good, got it home and un-boxed it only to find a few white specs under the lcd and in the viewfinder......odd! I couldn't understand where they came from so I took it back and exchanged for another.

All was well for a few months until the problem repeated itself so I took it back again to the shop who this time accused me of putting it there myself....!! They moaned on about it and after being patient for awhile I let rip and threatened them with all kinds of legal stuff. My camera was sent off and came back two weeks later as good as new.

Nine months later guess what re-appeared again ? Correct, the white specs......which are still there today along with the dead pixels when I view the lcd screen. I still have no idea how they got there, guess I never will.

Barso's gear list:Barso's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Pentax K-01 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Wanganuilad
Wanganuilad Senior Member • Posts: 2,210

Barso wrote:

FWIW when I got my K100D five and a half years ago ....

Yeah one of my old K100D's had a plume of dust coming in one corner. I read the cover can be pealed off to clean it, never bothered.

Pete
--
K-5 some Len

Douglas Film Veteran Member • Posts: 5,687

If that's the worst thing in your life today consider yourself lucky.

Douglas Film

ET2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110

Barso wrote:

All was well for a few months until the problem repeated itself so I took it back again to the shop who this time accused me of putting it there myself....!! They moaned on about it and after being patient for awhile I let rip and threatened them with all kinds of legal stuff. My camera was sent off and came back two weeks later as good as new.

I am surprised that the camera shop even took it back after "months". If you have a problem with something 30-days after the purchase, it's between you and the manufacturer then.

Barso
Barso Junior Member • Posts: 36

In the UK you get a least 1 yr warranty, if it goes wrong it goes back to the seller (shop) to be dealt with.

Barso's gear list:Barso's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Pentax K-01 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
NFR Forum Member • Posts: 77

My K-5 also had dust behind the LCD cover when I received it last May.

After the game of tapping and rubbing the LCD cover (seeking the aid of static electricity), the dust particle finally fell out of sight and has not been seen since and everything is working fine.

I even had forgot it was there until I saw this post.

Njáll

NFR's gear list:NFR's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Panasonic G85 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
larryhokie Regular Member • Posts: 472

Same thing happened with my previous K-5. Returned it. Received another one. No dust but now I've got severe mirror flop. I'll be sending it off for repair next week. Pity. Love the limited lenses and I'd like to love the K-5 but the QC seems lacking... that or my luck has been poor. Guess I should have sent the K-5 in earlier as the focus for every lens need to be adjusted to the maximum to counteract the back focus problems I was having.

larryhokie's gear list:larryhokie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +8 more
pentx4life Contributing Member • Posts: 602

You can call yourself lucky, as your body only has one spec behind the lcd cover... mine looks like a bag full of dust.

I am not joking. My body is also really dusty inside... but having the 3rd body due to sensor stain I am annoyed so much, but also happy, that with this K5 only the viewing and not taking of pictures is f$cked up... I didn't send it in, as I don't want to be without my camera for a month...

I can 'move' the dust in my K5 behind the cover if I take a air balloon, 'rub' it and get statically charged and move my hand on the display from one side to the other... I sometimes 'clean' my display from the inside... it is annoying, but it seems that the sensor of that K5 is just amazing... (even better than the two K5s I had before, because: less noise IMHO, and NO hot pixel in VideoMode)...

(btw. if you do that, you can see dust hopping from display to cover, to display to cover... enjoy this show!)

Best regards!
Kevin

P.S.: ...All we are is dust in the wind.....

SRT201 wrote:

Doesn't that just stink!

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

Barso wrote:

In the UK you get a least 1 yr warranty, if it goes wrong it goes back to the seller (shop) to be dealt with.

Consumer protection 12months wear tear + 6 Years design defect.

But limitations depend on expected life of the product i.e a battery normally has less than 6 months cover.

Manufacturers warranty may add to this but never lessen it.

With consumer goods its normal that the retailer will cover the manufacturers warranty period as your contract was with them not the manufacturer.

I find any claims under UK consumer sale of goods act are better lodged with the manufacture if a UK based presence but the retailer/importer if not.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
larryhokie Regular Member • Posts: 472

Yeah, that was closer to my last k-5 body, First the one or two dots then lots of dust piled up --- quickly --- during a trip to Canada, not a very dusty place, at least not in Toronto or the Canadian side of Niagara! I guess the dust came from the camera bag. Very odd. The focus on that one was brilliant though, no micro adjustments were needed.

pentx4life wrote:

You can call yourself lucky, as your body only has one spec behind the lcd cover... mine looks like a bag full of dust.

I am not joking. My body is also really dusty inside... but having the 3rd body due to sensor stain I am annoyed so much, but also happy, that with this K5 only the viewing and not taking of pictures is f$cked up... I didn't send it in, as I don't want to be without my camera for a month...

I can 'move' the dust in my K5 behind the cover if I take a air balloon, 'rub' it and get statically charged and move my hand on the display from one side to the other... I sometimes 'clean' my display from the inside... it is annoying, but it seems that the sensor of that K5 is just amazing... (even better than the two K5s I had before, because: less noise IMHO, and NO hot pixel in VideoMode)...

(btw. if you do that, you can see dust hopping from display to cover, to display to cover... enjoy this show!)

Best regards!
Kevin

larryhokie's gear list:larryhokie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +8 more
pentx4life Contributing Member • Posts: 602

Nope, you understood me wrong...

dust was there when I unboxed the K5. It was no problem in sahara and didn't get worse in sandstorm - and I really think the sealing is working, as I already showered the cam to check out, if these youtube-videos are fake or not... no problem, even with only WR and not DA* lens

Regards,
kevin

larryhokie wrote:

Yeah, that was closer to my last k-5 body, First the one or two dots then lots of dust piled up --- quickly --- during a trip to Canada, not a very dusty place, at least not in Toronto or the Canadian side of Niagara! I guess the dust came from the camera bag. Very odd. The focus on that one was brilliant though, no micro adjustments were needed.

pentx4life wrote:

Best regards!
Kevin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads