Sigma SD1 It is!!!! But I still need your help.

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
raimundo gaby
raimundo gaby Regular Member • Posts: 339
Sigma SD1 It is!!!! But I still need your help.

After much turmoil I have decided for the Sd1 mainly because of image quality and colors, but mostly because I don't want to have a camera that everybody does have (Canon , Nikon)

I have now a last question for my Sigma friends. What lenses should I get? Remember I do mainly Landscape, macro, an portraits.

Here is the list in my sigma cart (All DGs per your recommendation):
1. 12-24 wide
2. 150mm macro
3. 24-70mm F2.8

4. I selected the 70-200mm, but I am nor sure here. Maybe the 50-500? or the 150-500, or the 120-400? I would love to play with these big boys....

As it is the bill comes a little over $7.000,00. Am I missing something? being redundant?

Thank you so much folks, you have been terrific. Very helpful indeed.

Gaby

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,152
Re: Sigma SD1 It is!!!! But I still need your help.

raimundo gaby wrote:

After much turmoil I have decided for the Sd1 mainly because of image quality and colors, but mostly because I don't want to have a camera that everybody does have (Canon , Nikon)

I have now a last question for my Sigma friends. What lenses should I get? Remember I do mainly Landscape, macro, an portraits.

1. 12-24 wide
2. 150mm macro
3. 24-70mm F2.8

4. I selected the 70-200mm, but I am nor sure here. Maybe the 50-500? or the 150-500, or the 120-400? I would love to play with these big boys....

As it is the bill comes a little over $7.000,00. Am I missing something? being redundant?

Gaby

I know you want to future-proof your lens purchases, but the 8-16mm lens is MUCH sharper than the 12-24. I do not think you will be happy with the 12-24 on the SD-1... I would say anyone wanting to do landscapes with an SD-1 should at least have the 8-16mm.

The 70-200 (new OS version) is also sharper than the other lenses you listed, by a fair margin.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
raimundo gaby
OP raimundo gaby Regular Member • Posts: 339

Thank you. Do you think the 85mm is a better choice than the 150mm?

Hornbrille
Hornbrille Regular Member • Posts: 339

Yes. Get the 8-16. Waiting for a full frame Sigma camera is highly speculative.

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sony a7 II Sigma sd Quattro H Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
Hornbrille
Hornbrille Regular Member • Posts: 339

The 150mm is a real macro lens. The 85mm is faster and more compact. Background separation and bokeh are wonderful for both. My philosophy is to start with something more versatile like the 85mm or even the 50mm and get the telemacro later if needed.

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sony a7 II Sigma sd Quattro H Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

If I were starting out with no lenses and SD1, I think I'd select for starters
8-16mm wide (seems to be 'better' than 12-24* see note below)
50mmEX DG/2.8

THEN I'd consider what I wanted to zoom in mid-range and possibly for tele-

The 150mm and the 70-200mm's are all pretty hefty lenses, personally I'd hesitate because of their weights.

The 70mm and 85mm primes are supposed to be good too with the SD1.

I'd recommend to NOT acquire all lenses at once, buy them over several months at least.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

The Sigma 12-24mm, while being full-frame, which is good, is kind of a quirky lens. I see it as a special effects type lens, even with the 1.5x crop factor. I'm dealing with it on a full-frame 5DII.... Note too that there are two different versions. I have the original "EX' with a gold ring; the newer one, NOT EX is supposed to be 'better' from what I've heard. It doesn't have the gold ring.... about the easiest way to distinguish them. Mine tends to flare easily outdoors, I've found. I've actually gotten better photos INDOORS with it rather than outdoors.

Your other wide choice is the 10-20mm ... again I think there are two versions out, watch out which you (possibly) buy, even new, there are probably both floating around new. From users here on the forum, the recommendation seems to be for the 8-16mm rather than the 10-20mm.

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
brittonx
brittonx Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

raimundo gaby wrote:

1. 12-24 wide
2. 150mm macro
3. 24-70mm F2.8

Gaby

I know you want to future-proof your lens purchases, but the 8-16mm lens is MUCH sharper than the 12-24. I do not think you will be happy with the 12-24 on the SD-1... I would say anyone wanting to do landscapes with an SD-1 should at least have the 8-16mm.

Are you talking about the new 12-24 or the old one? Comparing the MTF charts for both of them, the new one looks significantly better than the old one.

The 70-200 (new OS version) is also sharper than the other lenses you listed, by a fair margin.

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sony a6300 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +6 more
FritsThomsen Senior Member • Posts: 2,759

raimundo gaby wrote:

1. 12-24 wide
2. 150mm macro
3. 24-70mm F2.8

If you want a big lens to play with ... then go for the "BIGMA" = 50-500.... its optically superior to the 120-400 and 150-500.

Gaby

cinefeel Contributing Member • Posts: 860

Haven't used it, but I hear the 120-300 is especially good.

Hornbrille wrote:

The 150mm is a real macro lens. The 85mm is faster and more compact. Background separation and bokeh are wonderful for both. My philosophy is to start with something more versatile like the 85mm or even the 50mm and get the telemacro later if needed.

I think those are really good points. The 85mm would have more CA than would the 150 (I think). The 150 would be great for nature macro shots, the 85mm is great for portraits.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more

brittonx wrote:

Are you talking about the new 12-24 or the old one? Comparing the MTF charts for both of them, the new one looks significantly better than the old one.

Rick shot the new one and didn't think it was especially sharp. I suppose it would be good to get a production version and make another try.

cinefeel wrote:

Haven't used it, but I hear the 120-300 is especially good.

It is VERY good.

But it is VERY large. Large enough that if you planned to travel much my plane it would be impractical to bring.

The 100-400 f/4 seems great, it was supposed to be a very good lens and was much smaller. But I don't think they make it anymore.

raimundo gaby

Ok, I am confused again... sorry...

It looks like the new 12-24 is a much better version than the old one, but some say that the 8-16 is better?

It seems to be a consensus that the 85mm is better for me than the 150mm?

So if I have to go with three-four lenses, for example, which ones would be the best combo/kit?

Gaby

p.s. This is soooo exciting....

Obscura Contributing Member • Posts: 923

Landscape: 8-16mm
Portrait: 85mm f1/4
macro: 50, 70, or 150mm macro. (I've got the 50mm, awesome lens)
--
Obscura

raimundo gaby

Me again:

Did I forget I lighter, high quality, walk around/no tripod prime?

Gaby

cinefeel Contributing Member • Posts: 860

Such a lens doesnt really exist, sadly.

You can use the excellent and super light 50mm EX macro, but that focal length is a little long for walkaround, or use the not great 30mm EX prime.

Best option is DP2m!

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 7,728

I have a 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. It's very good on my SD1, clear and sharp down to pixel level. I recommend it. It's incredible.

I also have a 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. It might give you lots of choices in crowded locations such as cities, landmarks, places such as that where a nice scene is framed in telephone wires etc. I think the quality is pretty good. I also have an APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM but have not used it much with my SD1. It's good technically but I find it cumbersome to carry, so I don't use it much.

Here is an 85mm shot I posted recently. You can download a full-res version from my DPR gallery:

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +10 more
raimundo gaby

Thank you folks,

I want to make this decision in the next two days. I have spent most of the day researching these lenses. Now I have in my cart:

1. 8-16-- because of the feedback here. (I did not find much info on the 12-24 wide

2. 150mm macro (Even though I am not sure here- I saw many great pictures with the 70 macro)
3. 24-70mm F2.8

4. 70-200mm. I could not find much info on the 50-500? or the 150-500, or the 120-400.

5. I am also considering the 85mm for portrait. Would I miss too much If I use the 24-70 for that?

What do you think?

Gaby

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 7,728

raimundo gaby wrote:

Thank you folks,

I want to make this decision in the next two days. I have spent most of the day researching these lenses. Now I have in my cart:

1. 8-16-- because of the feedback here. (I did not find much info on the 12-24 wide

2. 150mm macro (Even though I am not sure here- I saw many great pictures with the 70 macro)
3. 24-70mm F2.8

4. 70-200mm. I could not find much info on the 50-500? or the 150-500, or the 120-400.

5. I am also considering the 85mm for portrait. Would I miss too much If I use the 24-70 for that?

What do you think?

I think you can do really good portraits with the 150mm macro (but I don't have one so I can't be sure).

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +10 more
raimundo gaby

Thank you,

Folks, do we know anybody who does portrays with the 150mm? The 180mm shots of pigeons just posted were impressive...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads