Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions
carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

My thought as well. The price difference between 5DIII and D800 plus the investment in lenses could buy him a very fast computer. MacBook Air does not sound like a great computer to process 22MP file either.

paulesko wrote:
I´d have switched computers.

SCR Johnson wrote:

The 5DIII was what I wanted the D800 to be... a balanced upgrade- significant, yet modest upgrade in pixel count, addition of video, refreshed user interface. 36 megapixels sounds swell until you try processing them on a MacBook Air. So I switched. Today was my first day with the 5DIII and it was a lot of fun to use. The UI is straight forward and I love the way it handles. I look forward to spending more time with this camera!

-- hide signature --
 carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
5DIII from a D700??? D200?

All the photos in your gallery appear to be from D200 and NEX, both crop sensors. Not that it matters. Perhaps you simply made an error in your thread title.

dimar Contributing Member • Posts: 625
LOL

SCR Johnson wrote:

until you try processing them on a MacBook Air.

Seriously, you spent 3500$ on 22 Mp camera and several thousands $$ on lenses, and can't afford 750$ i7-2600 quad core Dell desktop instead off crappy macbook air?

OP SCR Johnson Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: 5DIII from a D700??? D200?

I don't have a lot of D700 pictures in my gallery here. Most are from two trips I took to Russia where I decided to travel light. Those were taken mainly with a NEX or in the case of my most recent trip this past January, a V1. I never owned a D200.

BackInTheGame wrote:

All the photos in your gallery appear to be from D200 and NEX, both crop sensors. Not that it matters. Perhaps you simply made an error in your thread title.

 SCR Johnson's gear list:SCR Johnson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Leica M10 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH
OP SCR Johnson Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

carlk wrote:

My thought as well. The price difference between 5DIII and D800 plus the investment in lenses could buy him a very fast computer. MacBook Air does not sound like a great

I have a very fast computer, a 27" iMac. But I like the portability and freedom of editing on my Air and recently even my iPad. Both handle 20-24mp files reasonably well. I travel a lot, and I enjoy having my library with me. Also, I simply don't need 36MP. I can't imagine any situation that would consistently come up in my shooting that would warrant having that type of resolution.

computer to process 22MP file either.

paulesko wrote:
I´d have switched computers.

SCR Johnson wrote:

The 5DIII was what I wanted the D800 to be... a balanced upgrade- significant, yet modest upgrade in pixel count, addition of video, refreshed user interface. 36 megapixels sounds swell until you try processing them on a MacBook Air. So I switched. Today was my first day with the 5DIII and it was a lot of fun to use. The UI is straight forward and I love the way it handles. I look forward to spending more time with this camera!

-- hide signature --
 SCR Johnson's gear list:SCR Johnson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Leica M10 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH
Anant Dabholkar Regular Member • Posts: 149
Re: LOL

dimar wrote:

SCR Johnson wrote:

until you try processing them on a MacBook Air.

Seriously, you spent 3500$ on 22 Mp camera and several thousands $$ on lenses, and can't afford 750$ i7-2600 quad core Dell desktop instead off crappy macbook air?

Believe me, Ive seen all 8 threads (4 cores x 2 threads) go to almost 100% on an I7 with 7GB of ram utilized when I batch process 5D2 files. I have no intention of spending all weekend behind the screen with the Dell cooling fan screaming.

If you do a few pictures at a time, its fine with 24 MB raw files. If I need more MP for resolution, expose properly and stitch.

olynik969 Senior Member • Posts: 1,670
Cool... Enjoy the new baby! :-)
-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

 olynik969's gear list:olynik969's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
dimar Contributing Member • Posts: 625
I suggest water cooling

Anant Dabholkar wrote:

with the Dell cooling fan screaming.

Silent and your CPU will never go over 50 degrees (celsium)

M Irwin Senior Member • Posts: 2,384
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

Eheheh.

jambalawa wrote:

I see some banding on your daughter's left wrist.

OP SCR Johnson Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Congratulations on your new DSLR. Isn't it nice to get the DSLR purchase out of the way so that you con concentrate on taking pictures and figuring out what lens to buy next?

I was curious:

Which lens did you have with the Nikon?

24-70, 14-24, 85g

Which lens are you getting initially with the 5D III? What do you plan on buying in the near term?

50 1.4 and probably the 24-70i while they are still available

The hit larger files have on post processing definitely can be felt. While on vacation, I use an old dual core laptop. Painfully slow with Canon's RAW files and so when I have the disk space, I shoot RAW+JPEG so that I can use the JPEGs to judge initial composition and do some quick sharing. Given my needs in a laptop, a MacBook Air or UltraBook best suits me. So I can see huge file processing to continue to be an issue.

At home I'm currently trying the new lens correction features in DPP that results in much larger CR2 files. Ouch on the disk space increase. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my 24 TB file server sooner than I anticipated.

 SCR Johnson's gear list:SCR Johnson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Leica M10 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Re: 5DIII from a D700??? D200?

Wow, Interesting. I never noticed the V1 image is exactly the same size as the D200 image. Much smaller pixels, but the same 3872x2592. Nice camera. Fast.

Randplaty Contributing Member • Posts: 504
Re: LOL

Anant Dabholkar wrote:

dimar wrote:

SCR Johnson wrote:

until you try processing them on a MacBook Air.

Seriously, you spent 3500$ on 22 Mp camera and several thousands $$ on lenses, and can't afford 750$ i7-2600 quad core Dell desktop instead off crappy macbook air?

Believe me, Ive seen all 8 threads (4 cores x 2 threads) go to almost 100% on an I7 with 7GB of ram utilized when I batch process 5D2 files. I have no intention of spending all weekend behind the screen with the Dell cooling fan screaming.

If you do a few pictures at a time, its fine with 24 MB raw files. If I need more MP for resolution, expose properly and stitch.

This is hilarious! I can't speak for the OP, but the biggest bottleneck in processing photos for me is the hard drive. MacBook Air has an SSD which tends to make it a faster photo processor than a lot of computers with better processors.

I process over 1000 photos in Lightroom every wedding. That's why we use SSDs. But SSDs are generally only 256gbs at this point. Even if we bought a stupid dell and installed 3x the HD space, we'd have to buy 3 different 256gb SSDs. Not a great option. And we'd also be stuck with a crappy Dell.

Gary H Senior Member • Posts: 2,312
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

aftab wrote:

Jury is still out, but most of the images I have seen from D800 is similar to that of a cell phone image. The rest was average. Only few blew me away.

If that is the case, then we are all doomed.

 Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 +21 more
michaelcheddar Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

Beautiful picture! The bluebonnets here in central tx are everywhere. I hope I can get my hands on a 5D3 before all the flowers are gone.

OP SCR Johnson Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: LOL

Randplaty wrote:

Anant Dabholkar wrote:

dimar wrote:

SCR Johnson wrote:

until you try processing them on a MacBook Air.

Seriously, you spent 3500$ on 22 Mp camera and several thousands $$ on lenses, and can't afford 750$ i7-2600 quad core Dell desktop instead off crappy macbook air?

Believe me, Ive seen all 8 threads (4 cores x 2 threads) go to almost 100% on an I7 with 7GB of ram utilized when I batch process 5D2 files. I have no intention of spending all weekend behind the screen with the Dell cooling fan screaming.

If you do a few pictures at a time, its fine with 24 MB raw files. If I need more MP for resolution, expose properly and stitch.

This is hilarious! I can't speak for the OP, but the biggest bottleneck in processing photos for me is the hard drive. MacBook Air has an SSD which tends to make it a faster photo processor than a lot of computers with better processors.

I process over 1000 photos in Lightroom every wedding. That's why we use SSDs. But SSDs are generally only 256gbs at this point. Even if we bought a stupid dell and installed 3x the HD space, we'd have to buy 3 different 256gb SSDs. Not a great option. And we'd also be stuck with a crappy Dell.

It's been amusing seeing some of the replies about why I should have spent my money buying a faster computer. Why would I want to spend my money on buying something to process and store extra pixels I do not need? In thinking of the things I wanted in a camera that would make me want to upgrade from my D700, having 3x the pixels was way, way, way down the list. I recognize that there are those that genuinely need those extra pixels and will use them. I also think there are a lot of folks that will buy those extra pixels that will never use them to their full potential. My decision was based on what I need and what I use based on my current competency and talent as a photographer. The 5DM3 fit the bill the best.

As mentioned above, I have a faster computer... with oogles of storage. The bottomline is I don't want to mess with it. Since getting my MacBook Air, 95% of my work has been done on it. My iMac has been relegated to serving music and movies. I am more than satisfied with my Air's ability to not only process the pictures I make, but also it's ability to store them. I have my entire portfolio wherever I am. Awesome.

 SCR Johnson's gear list:SCR Johnson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Leica M10 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH
Mazevision Forum Member • Posts: 58
What if a 24mp FF D600 is released?

Hi, I'm glad that you found the perfect tool for you. I could switch to canon for its 5D3 too, the specs are just about perfect, but I much prefer the Nikon ergonomy. How do you feel with a 5D3 in your hands? better, worst or just different from the D700? I'm wondering if a 24mp FF Nikon is released like the rumored D600 (for less than 2000$), you will not be tempting to switch again.

 Mazevision's gear list:Mazevision's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D
harold1968
harold1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687
+ perhaps something to do with availability ?

I was tempted by the 5D iii on this basis but have stuck with my D800e order

-- hide signature --
 harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Salah Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

Lovely shot. Well done

 Salah's gear list:Salah's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8
kanaddict Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
+1 NT

Best regards.

joema1 Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: What if a 24mp FF D600 is released?

Mazevision wrote:

I could switch to canon for its 5D3 too, the specs are just about perfect, but I much prefer the Nikon ergonomy. How do you feel with a 5D3 in your hands? better, worst or just different from the D700?

I shot 80,000 frames on my D300 (UI very similar to D700) before switching to the 5D3.

In general I prefer the Nikon UI -- for me, it has a more analog-style, direct-connected feel. I like little touches like two-button memory card reformat, top LCD display of AF point selection, the quick momentary button access to ISO, WB and QUAL, etc.

That said, I like Canon's page-oriented menus better, vs Nikon's scroll-oriented style. Canon's C1-C3 custom functions are better, quickly recalling a global camera configuration.

Each UI has its own pros and cons. Whatever camera you have, you eventually get used to the UI, then don't think about it.

 joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads