B&H not an authorized Nikon dealer?

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions
RustyKnee Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: You've got to be kidding me

Did you actually read what he said?

reginalddwight wrote:

darinb wrote:

He asked me if I knew how B&H got their stuff. I said, well, I guess they buy it from the manufacturer. He said, nope. They get it "from the boxes that fall off the backs of trucks." That is to say, it's all stolen goods.

You've got to be kidding me. This is some serious allegation, partner.

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

Thank you. I have since noted the earlier statement.

RustyKnee wrote:

reginalddwight wrote:

darinb wrote:

He asked me if I knew how B&H got their stuff. I said, well, I guess they buy it from the manufacturer. He said, nope. They get it "from the boxes that fall off the backs of trucks." That is to say, it's all stolen goods.

RustyKnee Regular Member • Posts: 462

Goodo

reginalddwight wrote:
Thank you. I have since noted the earlier statement.

RustyKnee wrote:

reginalddwight wrote:

darinb wrote:

OP Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
No USA version Nikon DSLRs listed at B&H

Look at the listings for Nikon DSLRs at B&H. They used to have two listings—one for the USA version and one grey market. Now they only have one listing and there is no mention of it being a USA version.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+dslr&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

barnicle Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: No USA version Nikon DSLRs listed at B&H

Just hear from Henry Posner, he is saying they are an authorized dealer and Nikon USA erroneously left them off the list.

Cultured Vulture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,181

Robin Casady wrote:

Look at the listings for Nikon DSLRs at B&H. They used to have two listings—one for the USA version and one grey market. Now they only have one listing and there is no mention of it being a USA version.

--
Robin Casady

I've never seen grey market bodies, only lenses.

Such as these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+70-200+f%2F2.8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
--
Regards,

JR

Cultured Vulture's gear list:Cultured Vulture's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 7900 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +11 more
iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596

[Also posted in the other thread on B&H's status]

Just chatted with B&H moments ago. Here's a portion of the transcript that may be of interest:

Me: my third question is: is b&h currently a nikon authorized dealer?

B&H: We are yes. I know that they had forgotten to add us to the list on their site a while back, I'm not sure if they have changed this yet. But we are an authorized dealer. If we were not, we would not be able to, for example, sell the Nikon extended warranties. Also, Nikon sends in representatives often so that the sales associates in the store and on the phones have a chance to see the new cameras, which they only do for authorized dealers.

B&H: Though, if you like, I could give you their contact information, if you would like to confirm our status with them

Me: ok, thank you. i'm going to research the d800 further and then make a decision. thanks

B&H: You're Welcome. Thank You for chatting with B&H. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Take the above for what it's worth, but it is mildly encouraging. Regards. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
SethG Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

Robin Casady wrote:

--
Robin Casady

If you look at the "what's in the box" for,s ay the 3100 with 18-55, it says it includes a 1-year US warranty for the body, and a 5 year warranty for the lens (1-year Int'l and 4 years US) If B&H was handling the warranty themselves, it wouldn't be an international one.

-- hide signature --

• Seth -

SethG's gear list:SethG's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
My Mistake

Cultured Vulture wrote:

I've never seen grey market bodies, only lenses.

I've been so used to seeing the USA and Grey listings I didn't realize it was on for lenses.

I'm glad they have confirmed that the omission from the latest Nikon USA authorized dealer list was only a mistake. I have a D800E preordered with B&H and I was worried.
--
Robin Casady

egk4260 Contributing Member • Posts: 644
Re: My Mistake

the nikonusa website nikon store section refers repeatedly to B&H as a site for authorized online purchase of nikon bodies and lenses

robertofabbri Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: B&H not an authorized Nikon dealer?

Who cares!
--
Roberto Fabbri
http://www.robertofabbri-wildlife.com

hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,267
re: who cares?

I would imagine the availability of D800/D4 in the US market is much more relevant to US customers than to photographers in Central America, much like the price increase in the UK is more relevant to the British than to the rest of us.

henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 7,008

Robin Casady wrote:

Nikon USA has this list of authorized Nikon dealers:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Corporate/Where-to-Buy/Nikon_Authorized_Dealers.pdf

I don't find B&H in there. Do they go by a different name? Did Nikon USA make a mistake? Or, did B&H lose their authorized status?

Nikon USA's oversight. We are certainly a Nikon USA authorized retailer.

Kaj E wrote:

The OP's list is just a couple of days old. B&H has apparently been dropped.

In fact we have not. The omission is Nikon USA's error.

ne beginner wrote:

I bought a Mac from them a year ago, which turned out to be DOA. Apple was very helpful diagnosing the problem, but once we got to the "what to do" part, they looked up the serial number and said it was 6 months old unit sold to B&H, B&H was not an authorized dealer, so I had to deal with them, not Apple.

An ongoing problem retailers have with Apple. My personal opinion is Apple knows they need other retailers but if they could have things exactly as they want them, Apple would only be sold in Apple retail stores.

lanef wrote:

My understanding was if you sell grey, Nikon will not allow you to be their authorised seller at the same time,

In the USA that's not the case.

iwannabesedated wrote:

Is it customary for Nikon to drop ship directly to NPS members, bypassing the retail outlet? -iwbs

They've done this before with pro-level cameras.

Robin Casady wrote:

Because we do not sell "grey market" digital slrs. The US vs "grey market distinction applies to some lenses, 35mm slrs, speedlights and film.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596

henryp wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

Is it customary for Nikon to drop ship directly to NPS members, bypassing the retail outlet? -iwbs

They've done this before with pro-level cameras.

Henry, thanks for responding to my question and the questions of others.

Please do keep us updated as the D800 delivery situation becomes clearer.

Warmest regards. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,322

Amazon.com is listed as an NPD dealer in the latest Authorized Nikon Dealers listing.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +52 more
Thanks for clearing that up.

Henry, thanks very much for clearing that up. Sorry for the tempest in a teapot.

lmtfa
lmtfa Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: Thanks for clearing that up.

Your thread is a real joke. I could see if you were new to photography and asked that question but your not. What were you trying to do? Bait those who dislike bh to post their vulgar comments? Shame on you.

Robin Casady wrote:

Henry, thanks very much for clearing that up. Sorry for the tempest in a teapot.

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
psandham
psandham Senior Member • Posts: 2,015

lmtfa wrote:

Your thread is a real joke. I could see if you were new to photography and asked that question but your not. What were you trying to do? Bait those who dislike bh to post their vulgar comments? Shame on you.

Just because someone has 6000 posts doesn't mean they can't be totally misinformed and have some need/want to share it with everyone As usual, Henry P corrects us with the facts as he has done MANY times before. And this is not the first time that Nikon has dropped an authorized vendor from their lists...

-- hide signature --

pjs
'Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph
is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk.'
Edward Weston

psandham's gear list:psandham's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
kevroc Regular Member • Posts: 259

I don't know that it matters much, but it does seem fishy to me that Nikon "forgot" to add B&H to their list. Isn't B&H the largest camera dealer in the universe?? "oops, we forgot", yeah right...

Gazphotos Regular Member • Posts: 140

Nikon USA updated their authorized dealer list as of March 26, 2012 you can scroll down to the bottom left of the page and click on Authorized Dealers.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Digital-SLR-Cameras/index.page

B&H has been an authorized dealer all along folks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads